• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

High Rock on the Oswegatchie River

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"High Rock and I go way back to the 1980’s. I have always held a spot in my heart for the destination, and I’ve lost count of the times I’ve visited the site. I have canoed, hiked, and kayaked to the lovely rock overlooking the Oswegatchie River."

My reaction is that the rock isn't very high and the scenery isn't all that. However, it is a welcome opportunity to get out of the canoe and the sinusoidal monotony of the river, to stretch ones legs and rest. The pictures I took were before the digital and computer age—maybe before electricity, for all I can recall—but I doubt High Rock's changed much.

I can relate. My favorite places in the world are nothing special. If I took someone on a tour they would not be impressed. But they're places I've known and visited since childhood and I've watched them change bit by bit over the years.

Alan

While I’m not that fond of High Rock on the Oz, there’s a plethora of ADK spots that speak to me and I revisit them now and then.
I think that’s my favorite thing about the ADK’s and wilderness in general.
I can visit the same spots decades apart and nothing changes.
Maybe a few trees topple, or some trees mature, but mostly, everything stays the same.

Back