• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Helpful equipment for the solo tripper

Reaction score
I have just come back from 12 days in La Verendrye and found these items especially useful for a solo tripper who tries to keep things minimal:

1. Spork. Light weight, plastic, colorful. You don't need any other utensil if you are doing very simple preparations. A spoon on one end and a fork on the other. The serrated bit for a knife is pretty useless. One is all you need.

http://www.lightmyfire.com/products/products/spork/spork-original.aspx

2. Trangia ultralight alcohol stove - One liter of fuel was good for more than 12 days. Fuel is cheap and available anywhere. It is silent and light weight. It is not as efficient at high altitudes or in the cold. But two cups of water (which does my breakfast or dinner) boils in just a few minutes. You don't need any other stove or cook pots. I also brought a light weight mug and the spork and that was it. All in a neat little package. I bought this stove in 2006 (?) when it was only available in Canada, but I had a trip to Sweden and bought it off the shelf there. It has worked great for years now.

https://www.amazon.com/TRANGIA-27-3-...+alcohol+stove

3. ZRE paddle. I got the 10 ounce, 12 degree bent shaft "seconds." This is so easy to paddle and I should have bought one a long time ago. When there is only one person paddling, it really helps to have a very light weight and efficient paddle. I figure I was able to paddle twice as far with this paddle.

4. Water proof monocular. Every trip I bring an expensive pair of binoculars that are never handy when I want to look at something, whether it is a bird or sighting across a lake. This year I got a Celestron waterproof monocular. It is half the weight, waterproof and sits in an easy to open velcro closed case on my belt right next to my mora knife. I used it several times a day. While I admit the binoculars are better, at least this got used.

https://www.rei.com/product/117519/c...CABEgJufvD_BwE

Great trip. Trip report coming soon.

Erica

Last edited:
Looking forward to your TR. I hate sporks but my must have is a long handled spoon
i love my Canon sx60hs at 1300 mm equivalent it does the role of binoculars
i think bringing a magnifying tool greatly enhances the experience
for me the camera price was worth the risk. Others may differ
were going to Acadia NP for five days but I have to make MORE granola !
My husbands muzzle is firmly planted in it.
With Skyr.
He thanks you Erica.

im
so with you on the paddle. 22 years ago I got a ZRE for my birthday.
It is age friendly!

The LightMyFire Spork? While this item is ubiquitous among campers' grub kits, I have never, ever heard anyone who actually liked using them. Now, I guess I have.

I'm in the long handle spoon camp when I'm bag eating. Prefer a nice polished bowl on it. Most times I eat from a small cook pot thus a normal length utensil gets the nod.

I'm at altitude and often cold temps thus liquid fuel stoves suit me best. Had a lot of 'em over the years, the one I've kept is an old MSR Simmerlite. Out of production now and doesn't simmer for crap but its frugal on fuel, easy to light and quiet.

Can't beat a light paddle whatever the configuration. When I get on the river and launch with one of my heavier bruisers I'm always amazed at first in the difference between them and my lake sticks.

I also like a monocular and have a nice Vortex 8X. Handy on the water when trying to find the camp site you've never been to. For extended wildlife viewing I still prefer a small pair of quality binos though. My camera is a Panasonic FZ1000 - only gets to 400mm optically but it has very good image quality with its 1" sensor.

A field magnifier is a good idea. Great for the amateur naturalist, a good survival device and even has some first aid applications.

Look forward to your TR.

Your list is almost spot on... my guess is that you either have not used the LMF spork (I call it a combo spoon, a spork to me is a spoon with the tip notched out to kinda act like a fork) for very long, or are a VERY delicate eater. I purchased 6 for the family (wife, 2 daughters and me) and on the first trip, we each snapped one in half. 4 out of 6 ain't bad I guess. Lol fortunately my father had a few extra long handled lexan spoons handy.

I love my trangia as well, for the same reasons

I wish I could afford a ZRE. I held one once. Man was it nice!

the monocular is a great piece of kit. Mine has the eye cup that folds back onto itself for people with glasses, which also works great held up to the phones camera lens while resting against a tree for stability. Pretty good photos.

I too, am looking forward to tour trip report!

Jason

Great report. My personal preference is a folding titanium twig stove and a long handled spoon. My wife also broke her spork last trip. I take a real small Audubon 6X monocular. It's not waterproof but no problems so far. I find that more than 6X is shaky to use when on the water.

Erica - Thanks for your thoughts on the gear you enjoyed using. I too am an alcohol stove user but I've gone with a homemade stove in the past; although I just picked up a Zelph "Fancy Feast" stove that I plan on using the end of this month on a backpacking trip to the Adirondacks (I hope I don't get drummed out of this corp for walking instead of paddling).

As for a spoon/spork item; I use a spoon I carved out of apple wood many years ago. It has served me well and is a nice reminder of my home (the wood came from a tree I trimmed) when I'm away. I have no idea how much it weighs but in my hand, it feels a lot like many of the lighter lexan spoons you can purchase. I figure if I ever break it, I can just carve another one if need be.

Regarding your paddle, I have a version similar to yours made by We-No-Nah. Again, not sure of the weight but it's light in the hand, well balanced and a pleasure to use.

As for your last item, I guess I typically pull up my camera when I'd like to see something that's a bit too far for my eyes to make out. Might have to look into your recommendation.

That's all for now. I look forward to your trip report so take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

I'm a cheapskate, so I had to wait for a used ZRE to materialize. That wasn't so smart. Should have bought one early on and paid the price. Wonder of wonders, two more appeared on CL - and I seem to be the only one around here who will buy them. :) Now I have different lengths for different boats.

When I'm saving weight and space, I pack an old Tasco monocular that I've had since the early nineties. I don't think it's waterproof, but I've been lucky.

I've tried to like the spork - both versions. I'm afraid I'm just too clumsy to use them. I'm better off with a spoon and a sharp stick. I like my stove to get HOT, and twig stoves are not an option in fire season here. Recently went from the Pocket Rocket to the Optimus Crux Lite with Terra Solo pot. I'm liking it.

A few years ago, I picked up a Klymit Static V air mattress. One of the best things I've ever found for backpacking or canoe tripping. It fits inside the sleeping bag, so it doesn't slide around, and works well whether on the ground or in the hammock. Extremely light and compact, quick to inflate or deflate, and surprisingly comfortable. I even take it with me when car camping or staying in hotel rooms.

Looking forward to your report Erica!

Last edited:
FYI Gerald: The Lac Lambert circuit is pretty busy. Having Baie Barker closed and also the fires in Ontario have sent many more people into LV. Staff there report there are many more people than last year.

Weather there is changing, I would get a couple days of nice weather, wind from the south. Wind direction would change from the north and it would get cold and rainy. Coldest night was probably about 50, which isn't real cold for Canadians, but is frightfully cold after a couple decades in Florida. Have a great trip.

i have abandoned the use of sporks long ago, I now use a hobo knife, more convenient, doesn't melt when used to cook with and it can sit handy in my pocket. The best part is the spoon is actually deep enough to really be a spoon. makes a big difference when eating soup or stew

I like the Trangia as well and use it often. I found I couldn't sit my pot straight on the stove (at least not without waiting a bit) so I got these ultralight, $10 Evernew Titanium Trivet pot stand things. They work extremely well, but I still have to be very careful to find a small firm flat surface since the bottom of the Trangia is so small. I also consider a wind screen to be indispensable.

EBY253.jpg

I must be old fashion, I never tried a spork. I do like my new Klymit air mattress though.

One thought on stoves. I had a small stove that screws into a fuel bottle, it had a pizio electric starter. It was easy to use and I liked it. Well I lost it and replaced it with one without the pizio starter to save ten bucks and have been sorry ever since. I like the idea that you could use the electric starter and stove as a backup to you other fire starting options.

I have just come back from 12 days in La Verendrye and found these items especially useful for a solo tripper who tries to keep things minimal:

Spork. Light weight, plastic, colorful. You don't need any other utensil if you are doing very simple preparations. A spoon on one end and a fork on the other. The serrated bit for a knife is pretty useless. One is all you need.

Water proof monocular. Every trip I bring an expensive pair of binoculars that are never handy when I want to look at something, whether it is a bird or sighting across a lake. This year I got a Celestron waterproof monocular. It is half the weight, waterproof and sits in an easy to open velcro closed case on my belt right next to my mora knife. I used it several times a day. While I admit the binoculars are better, at least this got used.

I have never been a spork guy. Although I am not a minimalist packer my eating utensils consist of a long handled spoon, a acetal plastic butter knife for spreading peanut butter, honey, Nutella or the like, and a sharp sheath knife for cutting come what may from rope to tough meat.

I agree wholeheartedly about a waterproof monocular. I carried my birding binoculars for years, a pair old German made 8x42s. Great optics, but not waterproof. By the time I got them out from a waterproof case or bag whatever I wanted to look at was half way through their migration.

One serious flaw with those binoculars was that they would not stay on the roof of the truck as I drove out of the High Chisos. I backtracked 50 miles to no avail.

I went to a waterproof monocular for several reasons, primarily because they fit in a chest pocket on my PFD and take only a few seconds to get out and put back. They are crap for birding, but for looking at a distant campsite, route choice or companion they do just fine.

I went the cheap route at first, with a waterproof Brunton 8x22. Waterproof my arse, that monocular was toast after a hard rain.

I am a fan of DIY Reflectix coozies for cups, mugs and pots. Especially for rehydrating foods; 15 minutes in a closed Reflectix coozie pouch and it is still hot enough to burn my tongue.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflect...-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST16025/100012574

25 feet of 16 inch wide Reflectix is enough to make custom coozies for years to come, including coozies for everyone you know.

My most recent favorite piece of tiny gear, as of a few years ago, solo or otherwise, is the Pocket Bellows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4eePBRnDbQ

0.75 ounces, telescopes from 3.5 inches to 21 inches. Less than $6 at some retailers.

....I am a fan of DIY Reflectix coozies for cups, mugs and pots. Especially for rehydrating foods; 15 minutes in a closed Reflectix coozie pouch and it is still hot enough to burn my tongue.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflect...-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST16025/100012574

25 feet of 16 inch wide Reflectix is enough to make custom coozies for years to come, including coozies for everyone you know.

My most recent favorite piece of tiny gear, as of a few years ago, solo or otherwise, is the Pocket Bellows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4eePBRnDbQ

0.75 ounces, telescopes from 3.5 inches to 21 inches. Less than $6 at some retailers.

Yup, Reflectix cozies for everything. I made one for my Evernew flexible water pouches that I carry for drinking in the boat. Water stays much nicer in the heat of the summer.

I made a base reflector and wind shield for my MSR Simmerlite using Reflectix, too. Easier to pack than the manufacturer supplied metal pieces and works great. I close off the wind shield with a couple small pieces of self adhesive velcro attached to the Reflectix. Its nice to have the wind shield custom tailored to one's specific pots and such.

I just got a Pocket Bellows this past season. Super bit o' gear! Don't know how I ever managed without it. No more singed facial hair ;)

Does anyone else use a Sierra Zip Stove? I've loved mine for 25 years now. As long as there is some type of coal, wood or dander I can cook and it makes a nice mini campfire under a whelen or vestibule.

I just got a Pocket Bellows this past season. Super bit o' gear! Don't know how I ever managed without it. No more singed facial hair ;)

We carried a 2 foot long section of stainless steel pipe from an animal watering system for a long time. With a piece of Tygon tubing on one end it made an OK mouth bellows.

The telescoping pocket bellows is far surperior; smaller, lighter and, most importantly, tapered, so the forced air is multiplied and focused.

Does anyone else use a Sierra Zip Stove? I've loved mine for 25 years now. As long as there is some type of coal, wood or dander I can cook and it makes a nice mini campfire under a whelen or vestibule.

Sold mine. I used it for flying. TSA kept pulling me aside. They thought it was a bomb with the battery wiring
not worth the hassle to me

Back