• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Help with pricing a boat for sale?

G

(I posted this over on MYCCR since it is more of a north-country canoe, but I’d like to hear what CT folks think)

The next little used tandem I want to sell is the fully outfitted RX Esquif Miramichi. With an Ed’s Extreme Duty wide center/passenger seat, bow utility thwart, larger sail, clamp-on retractable leeboard, custom TIG welded adjustable height outboard motor mount, heavy duty portage cart, Dynel & G/flex skid plates and etc, etc all the usual outfitting touches.

http://www.esquif.com/en/touring/miramichi/

I know custom outfitting a canoe can be like custom building a motorcycle; it is outfitted the way you wanted it, and maybe not so much what the next guy desires.

In 2006 a Royalex Miramichi ran $1999 (USD), a new one is closer to $2600, and there are several hundred bucks in accessories and outfitting parts specific to that hull, without Dynel and G/flex and shop time and labor.

This Miramichi:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153467243@N07/albums/72157709254423191

I wish I was selling the Miramichi up in Maine or Canada where it belongs, or even down in Texas where everything’s bigger and they seem to have a hankering for 20’ canoes with motors.

Given that I would prefer a buyer leave happy, or even drive away like they “stole” the boat, what would a reasonable asking price be?

This was the beast that Joel used in the Everglades that I tried to pick up?

For the right price you are hardly too far away from a Maine customer looking for a Grand Laker type canoe..
What that price is I have no idea..
I am guessing guessing $1500-$2000.. It would go faster with a trailer.

I agree with Kim, start at a higher end asking price, I was thinking 1500$ and go from there. If you give it to me free I'll show how easy it to portage! ;-) Maybe not!

. I am guessing guessing $1500-$2000.

I was thinking 1500$ and go from there.

I think you are both near spot on, even using some buyer’s math. As a buyer I usually figure 2/3 of retail cost on a 10-20 year old boat I want to purchase, a bit more if it is nearly new, in excellent condition or some highly sought after unicorn hull.

Accessories, I dunno, maybe 1/3 of (then) retail cost?

Using that 66% math on then $1999 canoe = $1332. One third on the accessories = $278; the sail was almost that much.

$1610 ($1600) seems both a lot, and too little.

???