• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Help me choose a new camera?

On our last trip, we carried my cell phone for the main purpose of having the Avenza and Kindle apps available. I took several photos and, frankly, the quality was as good or better than that of the Olympus Tough even though it's just an iphone 8S. My only concern was dropping the phone in the bilge or worse once it was outside the waterproof pouch. Apparently, there's a solution for that: Lanyard tether.

The cell phone camera has much simpler settings and, for my purposes, I don't see a reason to carry a separate camera. Along with a power bank it should last two weeks.

I like the specs on that Canon Scott. How does it do in low light? I'm leaving in 2 weeks and keep remembering the last night of my Round lake loop (BWCA) trip in '21. The moon that night was awesome and I know the Nikon would have nailed the pic. My phone, unfortunately, fell short but sh... stuff happens.

I'm going to take pictures from the canoe and risk getting my cameras wet (it's just what I do) and I fully expect to own a piece of junk if I dump (I only hope I can recover the sd card). I've found another B500 (used and cheap enough to consider it semi-disposable)... just hoping to find something water-resistant before the window closes to get it here in time for Labor Day.
I don't know what you'll think of the low light capabilities. Here's a list of why I like i
1 it is similar to my previous camera, the one i drowned. That one lasted 10 years.
2 I find canon menus to be logical - stuff appears in the right order, where I expect to find it. Exposure and iso and the
Macro/manual/normal button are at your fingertips right on the back of the camera. If I have to dig for a setting, it is
because of a special problem.
3 It has an eyepiece as well as a screen. I use the eyepiece when outdoors. the eyepiece has a focus adjustment
4 good strong zoom
5 the presets for white balance are good
6 It has a point focus option, which is useful when there's a lot of brush in the image. I leave it set there.
7 it is small enough for what it does, a good value that I won't cry about if I wreck it.
8 battery life is good. I could probably go a week on 2 batteries.
It is not a perfect camera, But for me, it is a "good enough" camera. Does everything I want pretty well.
I frame my shot and shoot. I don't want to mess around unless I have something really good to photograph.
I found a like new used one for $200.

However, the arguments became much less applicable to me when my frequency of those two types of paddling scaled way down and I became mostly a flat water day paddler and moving base camp paddler, as many here are.

You are absolutely correct. I very rarely use my Olympus Tough unless I'm on a canoe trip, which I haven't taken in years now. For day trips I don't feel the need to take pics and if I did my phone would probably be in my pocket.

But when I do take trips they're important to me and so is the ability take those pictures. The Olympus Tough, or any other current water proof camera, while not being ideal, does what it needs to do for me. When looking at the total cost of a trip, and life in general, to me it's money well spent. But certainly not everyone will feel the same.

Alan

However, the arguments became much less applicable to me when my frequency of those two types of paddling scaled way down and I became mostly a flat water day paddler and moving base camp paddler, as many here are.

You are absolutely correct. I very rarely use my Olympus Tough unless I'm on a canoe trip, which I haven't taken in years now. For day trips I don't feel the need to take pics and if I did my phone would probably be in my pocket.

I'd like to continue this discussion of various cameras for various usages.

When I lost my Pentax waterproof P&S camera in Alaska in 2013, I was already finished with serious whitewater paddling and suspected (correctly) that I was also done with extended wilderness trips. So, I wanted a camera that had better optics, zoom and macro capabilities than the waterproof models then available—more of a small "do everything" camera not only for canoeing, but also for photographing the women's basketball games I was then being hired to write about and photograph.

As I became much more of a flat water canoe day tripper, often on the same nearby routes, I found my photographic interests on these trips were not snapshots of new campgrounds, rivers or lakes, but rather closer investigations of flora, fauna and geology using zoom and macro closeups. The Nikon COOLPIX P7800, with a 2.0 lens, 7x optical zoom, good macro, and lots of SLR-like controls filled the bill nicely, using the small Pelican box in a canoe for waterproof protection.

Hiking staffs.JPG

It has an eyepiece as well as a screen. I use the eyepiece when outdoors.

I agree with Scott that an eyepiece is important to me for outdoor photography because LCD screens get all washed out by light. My old Pentax waterproof had an eyepiece and so does the Nikon P7800.

I'm too cheap to buy more than one camera for my occasional serious photo forays, so I became sort of an amusing character as a credentialed photographer at the women's basketball NCAA tournament. Not only was I the oldest guy sitting in the gaggle of photographers at the endlines of the court, I was the one with the most ridiculous equipment.

Everyone else had very long zoom lenses and high speed motor drives on their high-end Nikon and Canon SLRs. The photographer from the AP would have all his photos immediately sent through the air to his colleague at the press table, who would edit the photos right away on a laptop and upload them to the AP website within minutes of their being taken.

Meanwhile, I was sitting there with my tiny Nikon compact, pictured in my post above. Perhaps I deserve the Guinness world record for NCAA photographer with the worst camera. Nevertheless, I captured the cover photo of Breanna Stewart for an internet magazine and also published a photo of the rebound that gave Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis her only triple double.

Breanna Stewart NCAAT2014.jpg

Over the years I've found the best camera is the one you have available.
I absolutely agree with that. I use this quick-detach mount on the strap of my backpack / portage pack. On canoe trips, I have one mount on my main pack and one on the ditch kit strap that goes through with the canoe (I've double ported everything to this point so I carry the camera in my hand on the return trip). It makes the camera more readily available than any other system I could find but, of course, I can't use it in the rain with the B500. It's not cheap ($75 ish) but it will hold camera equipment securely, it mounts on the standard 1/4 inch threaded hole on the camera body and it takes longer to get the lens cover off than to have the camera in your hand.

DSCN1395.JPG

I frame my shot and shoot. I don't want to mess around
That's me without the "unless...". I know nothing of photography except "ooo, that's pretty" and get it in the frame. That said, I think I've taken some really nice pictures but nothing that's made the cover of anything other than a trip report.

Scott & Glenn; Good point on the eyepiece... I'll add that to the wish list.

BTW: I might have managed to avoid buying something last minute... With nothing to lose, I'd thrown the camera back in the dehydrator for a couple of days and it now seems to be working again. Now all I'll need to do is to figure out a way to power the dehydrator on canoe trips. (how long do they make extension cords?)

Cool picture Glenn, you must have seem some great games over the years at UConn. Nice. I grew up near St Johns and got to see a few games in Alumni Hall early/mid 80's. I missed the Mullin/ Ewing games because they were always at the Garden but saw a good ones with other players. I moved away from that area in 99. Sold our house for 300K, wife told me it just went for 1.1Million. That's crazy.

Back