• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hello from the Hudson Valley!

Reaction score
Hi all! I’m Kendrick, and I’ve been a lurker here and on some other paddling forums for a couple of years, but only just made an account. I fell in love with canoeing on my first-ever canoe camping trip, an 11-day paddle through the Adirondacks during a program in college. I led wilderness canoe trips for a summer camp in Maine during a couple of subsequent summers, and after finding a full-time position in entomology in the Hudson Valley, I purchased a Mad River Independence and have been having a lot of fun paddling solo as often as I can. I’m far less experienced and knowledgeable than most of you seem to be here, but I hope to contribute where I can, and I’m very much looking forward to continuing to learn from all of you!

Welcome to site membership, Kendrick! Feel free to ask any questions no matter how simple they may be and to post messages, photos and videos in our many topic forums. We look forward to your contributions to our community.

My wife was raised right next to Ghent, NY, we later lived for eight years in Woodstock, NY, and we're not far from the lovely Mid-Hudson Valley right now.

Welcome, neighbor. I'm in Troy and while I used to frequent the Chatham/Ghent area years ago, I'm totally unfamiliar with it from a canoeing perspective. Would love to hear your experience with local waters and access points. We have such a wealth of water in the region and it's such fun to explore.

Welcome Kendrick,
We’re sort of neighbors, I’m in Schenectady
Is that a blue barrel I see in your avatar? I don’t see too many of those in the ADK’s…
I’ve been paddling and camping in the ADK’s since the 60’s, if you need trip ideas or destinations to waters seldom paddled, just shout out.

Hello Kendrick, welcome. I’m on Long Island and teach in Queens. Loved the third grade science curriculum the most. I used to get Managascar roaches from my favorite bio teacher in Queens college. Kids loved it! Not so much anyone else, especially my wife. I’ve been working at a sleep away camp pretty much since 06 south of Albany in Columbia county.
Also used to take students camping in the Taconic area. All I know about is the Great Swamp and paddled over to Bannerman’s castle 10 years ago via kayaking. Sounds like a mini gathering could be in the works somewhere up there. Best wishes, PS, I’m just a regular Joe who likes to go out and enjoy nature.

Thank you all!

Welcome, neighbor. I'm in Troy and while I used to frequent the Chatham/Ghent area years ago, I'm totally unfamiliar with it from a canoeing perspective. Would love to hear your experience with local waters and access points. We have such a wealth of water in the region and it's such fun to explore.

I am sorry to say that I haven't been all that adventurous in our local area—I definitely need to explore more. I've made a few trips out on the Hudson and to some local ponds, but most of the time, I just paddle sections of the Housatonic River in MA between Pittsfield and Sheffield. And when I've done overnight trips, they've been in the Adirondacks.

I hear that a lot of our local rivers have good whitewater if you're into that. I can't vouch for that firsthand, though...maybe someday.

Welcome Kendrick,
We’re sort of neighbors, I’m in Schenectady
Is that a blue barrel I see in your avatar? I don’t see too many of those in the ADK’s…
I’ve been paddling and camping in the ADK’s since the 60’s, if you need trip ideas or destinations to waters seldom paddled, just shout out.

That is indeed a blue barrel! I don't think I've run into anyone else using one when I've been out on a personal trip...but we used barrels on my trip in college and at the camp I worked for, and I like them a lot.

I'd love ideas for trips and destinations in the ADKs, especially if they help me get away from the crowds!

Hello Kendrick, welcome. I’m on Long Island and teach in Queens. Loved the third grade science curriculum the most. I used to get Managascar roaches from my favorite bio teacher in Queens college. Kids loved it! Not so much anyone else, especially my wife. I’ve been working at a sleep away camp pretty much since 06 south of Albany in Columbia county.
Also used to take students camping in the Taconic area. All I know about is the Great Swamp and paddled over to Bannerman’s castle 10 years ago via kayaking. Sounds like a mini gathering could be in the works somewhere up there. Best wishes, PS, I’m just a regular Joe who likes to go out and enjoy nature.

Your camp must be very near me—would it be too forward of me to ask what it's called?

If you (or anyone else from the forum!) are ever looking for someone to go paddling with, feel free to reach out—it'd be great to connect with other local paddlers.

If a mini gathering were to happen, would that be posted to the "Let's Get Together" board?

Welcome from the Cooperstown area. Lots of very nice and informative folks here. They're all willing to share so I'm confident you'll fit right in. Just curious, if you don't mind, where was your college trip in the Adirondacks and what college did you attend. I'm heading back up to Raquette Lake in about 10 days to teach a class for SUNY Cortland that I've been involved with since 1977. Might be possible that our bows passed at some time.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I went to St. Lawrence University, and the trip started on Eighth Lake, went up through Raquette Lake, Long Lake, and Tupper Lake, and ended at Lake Massawepie.

Thanks for the welcome, and you be well too.

Welcome Kendrick! It sounds like you may have been one of the lucky participants in the Adirondack Semester at Saint Lawrence? Our younger son was, in 2010 I think. Great program at a wonderful school!

Thank you! You guess correctly! It was a really special experience. I wonder if your son and I might have crossed paths?

Back