• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Has the muddy water settled yet??

Reaction score
Despite the amazing inventive reporting, I really did enjoy the thread about the canoer who got in a bad bind and had to eat his dog.
Now that the first flush of drive by journalism is over, has any responsible record of what happened emerged?

Without being a ghoul, I think if we had some source of these kind of events or accidents, it would prove very instructive to talk over what went wrong and how to best avoid it. Now-a-days I think they call it "raising the awareness" I always heard of it as "get your head out......".

Where could a person go to find a record of various problems that have overtaken the outdoors person? Obviously you'd need to cull the choices a bit: to discuss why you ought not throw gas on a slow fire would insult most of us, but on the other hand how to evaluate severity of burns and how to treat them and/or when to evacuate would, I think, be of interest.

I think I'll go make a second pot of coffee, this getting up to piddle the pup isn't all bad!

Rob

P.S. Now, I know I'm slow, my thinking glacially slow, my spelling requires much checking, but it's aggravacious to be required to sign in several times in the course of working out some post. Could we reset the timeout thing to accommodate those who are chronologically challenged?

Yes you can reset your own time out. When logging in look for the little box that says "remember me". Click it. Its a handy tool for us oldsters easily distracted or having to make bathroom breaks.

I have been googling that story from time to time and come up with nada. Perhaps it will appear in Amazon under Fiction.

If you are writing a big one, or going back and forth between writing and dog piddling (and that is a very cute dog), you could always compose your message in Word or some other text program you have on your computer. When you are done, you hit "select all", then "copy". Then open up this site, go to the quick reply box, click in it, and then select "paste". All of those commands are found in your "edit" tab at the top of the page. Does that "muddy" the waters more, or clear them up?

Well, Rob - I think the only way we'd get the full story is if the principal participant chose to go public with it. If I was reduced to eating my dog, going public is the last thing I would do.

I agree with Rob, there's a lot to be learned from knowing how something went wrong. I don't watch tv much but my brother once raved about a survival show that would show multiple characters in different survival situations in the same episode and whether or not they survived. I think there's a book too.

My dog and I had the talk and agreed that if one of us passes on the trail and there's no recourse, one could eat the other. I'm not sure though that she fully understands that I need to be gone first.....every once in a while I get a nick on my hand and she get's excitable and a gleam in her eye.

Barry

I think I agree, Steve. I can't imagine how you'd live with yourself after betraying someone who loved you so deeply.
I guess the moral to the story is to plan our trips where it never, ever comes to that.

Best Wishes,

Rob

Rob, I can't figure out which one of you is piddling. You drank the two pots of coffee not the pup right? Dave

I haven't heard more the the story either.

After some thought I reached the conclusion that my dog would want me to eat him to survive; his loyalty runs that deep. I don't know if I am loyal enough not to eat him. I doubt I am.

Hi Rippy, The way it works is this: Rowan sleeps up on the bed with me and wakes me up when it's piddle time, which is a time that allows for no delay. I grab my robe, slippers and if I'm lucky a vest. In the deep dark of the night, out we go; the cold air acts as a stimulus on the both of us. You know how inquisitive a pup is to everything a person might be doing? Well.....let's just say it's hard. If any of my neighbors were up I could imagine them wondering what kind of dance I was doing.
Best Wishes,

Rob

Well all right then. Gees Rob, you started the thread with muddy water, now it's yellow water. I still don't know anymore about the guy that ate his dog. And I have this weird picture stuck in my mind of you hopping around your yard in the middle of the night in a robe trying to pee. And the dog thinks it is a game. When you say it's hard I'm not sure if your bragging or complaining.
Dave

Last edited:
Sorry Rippy, I didn't realize you didn't know about the canoer. Look under Forms, General Discussion, "Lost paddler found". It's quite a soap opera trying to figure what happened to the guy. I won't spoil it for you.

Best Wishes,

Rob

Geeze Rippy, I gotta stop reading your posts in the morning, that's twice now I've put coffee through my nose. An airedoodle....is it as big as an airedale? All this talk of dogs, Rob with his new one, people eating dogs, poodle mixes......here's the question I need answered...how does one convince a wife that a new dog is a necessity? She's dead set against it, but I need a new canoe and snowshoeing buddy.

I work in people’s homes all week long, and I’m often offered a family dog to take home. They’re usually very big, very friendly, and very active. I’m pretty sure the owners are just frustrated and kidding. When I try bartering, using our cats as currency, the whole thing goes sideways. So far I’ve ALMOST bartered for a Saint Bernard, G. Lab, and a mutt. The poodly doodle breeds are never up for offer. Can you blame them? They're just too darned cute; they'd rather trade their spouse. No takers here.
All this talk makes me ponder the idea of putting a leash on one of our cats, and taking her for a spin around the block; but after Memequay’s cat episode, maybe I’ll just pass on that.

Last edited:
Hi Memaquay, Now this is just an assumption but I'd guess the cat isn't interested in being your very best good buddy? I mean, what with your throwing him in the garden shed with the bear and all.

Most times when the female in your life, whether she's a mother or wife does the thumbs down on a dog, it's because she's pretty sure who's going to end up taking care of it. This deep seated prejudice might have been formed before you ever came along, or you you might have dug your own hole. In any case the task is to get her to change her mind. You can ask one hundred guys how to do that and ninety eight will tell you it's hopeless. One is deaf and didn't hear you, and one is loony and who knows what he will say.

Now, just between you and me, I'll tell you how, when forced to, I do it.

Get the dog in late afternoon. Make absolutely sure there's nothing objectionable about the dog ie. dirty or stinky.

Self, opening the door and speaking rapidly to gain control of the conversation: "Honey, I'm such a dummy, I can't believe I let myself get taken advantage of like that! I was at the animal shelter this afternoon (make up some reason) and they had run out of room to take in animals and were putting down some of the dogs to make more room. They ran out of poison gas and will get some more in tomorrow morning. This dang ugly, useless mutt was next to be killed so they had given up it's cage to a litter of pups and the mother. The lady asked me if there was anyway I could take it home overnight, she said that there was no problem with it, just deprived of love and enough food before it came to the shelter. So like a idiot I said yes. Well, what done is done but first thing tomorrow back it goes! Even if the gas doesn't get there one of the workers there said it could be sold to medical research laboratory. Turns out the research people go through a lot dog every month. It'll just be overnight, I hope your not mad."

Now, Memaquay, here's one of the facts of life that has nothing to do with birds and bees: Women are innate nurturers and sustainers of life. If you've made your pitch well the pup is home free. But don't let up on that business about " that dog must go back" until she tells you that you might leave but the pup is staying!

Best Wishes,

Rob

Ha ha, good strategy Rob, not sure if i've got the hutzpah to pull it off, but I'll give it a whirl when the right little mutt shows up!

Memaquay - I've seen airedales bigger than Daisy, and some smaller. She weighs 40lbs, if that helps. She's really my wife's dog. I wanted a GSD, but had to relent when she fell for this one. Not the best woods dog, but great at home. No shedding, intelligent, agile, adapts well to kids, old people, and other dogs. And very entertaining. She would catch small animals for us if we needed. ;)

You can ask one hundred guys how to do that and ninety eight will tell you it's hopeless. One is deaf and didn't hear you, and one is loony and who knows what he will say. Rob

I think we just found out.

Just kidding Rob. Sounds like a plan for Mem. Not sure how the dog will get along with the drunken cat though.

I have German Shepherds and will be having puppy's right around Christmas if anyone is interested.

Here is the proud parents, Maximus and Mieka.

9EB24BFD-92C7-4F1C-AFD1-4F241B1BF60E-874-000002667C1770EF_zps46a22eb9.jpg

Back