• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Happy National………Day

April 26

My Dad worked for National Audubon [and later whatever they called themselves] for 31 years. He was the world’s foremost authority on the Reddish Egret, and this is why as an infant and youngun we tripped between Texas and Florida Bay where he could study them during two separate breeding seasons, and why my childhood occurred in the Florida Keys. He shared a birthday with JJA, though a bit later year. He was posthumously awarded the Guy Bradley Award for his lifetime dedication. Dad died on Veteran’s Day 2005, but he got to meet my girlfriend, now wife. I sure wish he could see his 4 grandchildren, and they him. He’d love that I have 4 after my earnest assertions I’d have none!

Me, Dad, and a “shredded egret” as he liked to call them:

F61B858B-E39E-4CB0-BE55-BDA5E65DBEA8.jpeg

Last edited:
Towel day today.*

Don't forget to bring a towel.*

I was tempted to use Towel Day, but as this daily notice practice has evolved, I only use a "Day" for which I can find relevant emojis, and I couldn't find anything good for towel.

I do try to be cluefully obscure sometimes with emojis. I wonder if anyone understood the attempted emojis for the main characters in today's "Midnight Cowboy" notice: Joe Buck and Ratso Rizzo.

I do try to be cluefully obscure sometimes with emojis. I wonder if anyone understood the attempted emojis for the main characters in today's "Midnight Cowboy" notice: Joe Buck and Ratso Rizzo.

I'm afraid they were lost on me but so was the whole reference to Midnight Cowboy, which I know nothing about.

That being said I do enjoy your emojis. They can be a fun little head scratcher.

Alan

Looking for clarification on what exactly a 'veggie burger' is

Well, you could either ask your new friend or live with two vegetarians/vegans for 40 years to find out, whichever is more convenient. Let's put it this way: If Carol Doda (vive la Condor Club in the '60s) were watching any current 9 pm cable channel and eating a veggie burger, she'd be eating fake meat with fake boobs while watching fake news.

Usually made from beans (mainly soy), nuts, grains, seeds and mushroom, they (the veggie burgers, that is) can mimic meat taste very closely. There are also veggie hot dogs, veggie sausage, veggie bacon, et alia.

Well, you could either ask your new friend or live with two vegetarians/vegans for 40 years to find out, whichever is more convenient. Let's put it this way: If Carol Doda (vive la Condor Club in the '60s) were watching any current 9 pm cable channel and eating a veggie burger, she'd be eating fake meat with fake boobs while watching fake news.

Usually made from beans (mainly soy), nuts, grains, seeds and mushroom, they (the veggie burgers, that is) can mimic meat taste very closely. There are also veggie hot dogs, veggie sausage, veggie bacon, et alia.

I agree with you as to the definition of a 'veggie burger' and so does my new friend. But, at least here in the midwest, if you see a sign advertising a "veggie burger' you're likely to receive a beef patty topped with lettuce and tomato on a bun. Being a vegetarian myself this has brought many disappointments over the years. Which led me to wonder which one 'veggie burger' day actually celebrated.

If I could find a bean based veggie burger locally I'd happily celebrate tonight, either way it was intended but, alas, I'll probably just settle for an egg salad sandwich.

Alan

Which led me to wonder which one 'veggie burger' day actually celebrated.

This one:

I'm surprised that veggie burgers are difficult to find anywhere these days. My wife and daughter have been vegetarian for about 40 years, and veggie burgers are now available in most restaurants and certainly frozen ones are available in all major supermarkets. Some taste good, others don't.

Today is the anniversary of D-Day. I'm sure we all know that, but I always think it is worth acknowledging. And tomorrow would have been my father's 97th birthday. For what it's worth. His 18th birthday was the day after D-Day and the day he enlisted in the USMC.

Back