• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Hands On

My hands will be covered by gloves, liner gloves, mittens or overmitts depending on the situation and conditions. I worked for 45 years in the outdoor field and my hands have become sensitive to the cold. Regardless of how many times we'd ask our students to adjust their snowshoe bindings to their boots the night before a trip (in the comfort of their room), invariably someone wouldn't bother. I'd let them struggle at first in the snow so they could learn some sort of lesson but in the end, it was up to me or one of my staff to adjust the binding. If we didn't, they'd slip out or have some problem along the way. Anyway, because of the amount of time my hands have been exposed to cold, snow and ice over the years, unless it's above 20 F, I need something to protect my digits. If it's in that range, liner gloves or light gloves work well. The colder it gets, the more I'll move in the direction of mittens. When it's truly cold (and windy), I'll break out the overmitts and wear a pair of liner gloves under them in case I need to do "fine" work where dexterity is required.

I realize that's a long winded response so I apologize for that. But, bottom line, conditions warrant what it is you'll find on my hands. At this point in my life, I just don't see that changing.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I have two pairs of thin Icebreaker gloves. One pair on my hands and one to change into at lunch. I am a sweat-er. The gloves can be covered by felted wool overmitts or OR goretex overmitts or all of the above. Layering may be key even for your hands just as it is for your feet and body.
For the Luddites. Rejoice. The phone pad is not receptive to obeying gloved touches! So the handy little camera is sometimes not.

Hanz waterproof gloves are great. If they won’t get wet, I like Heatholders knit gloves. If I’m working on something and need dexterity I use thin synthetic gloves and have warmers in my pockets.

Bob

I got motivated and went into my storage trunk where I keep my old elk hunting clothes. Found things I forgot about, including some nice waterproof winter gloves. I think they were pretty warm, especially with wool liners. A step up from my pigskin work gloves, for sure. I also came across some wool pants, Swiss army surplus and a pair of cabelas. Treasures I can use at the cabin.

Usually gloves, as I prefer the dexterity of having separate fingers. When really cold I will use mittens, but I like a pair with internal finger slots. Either way, I like to have a separate thin liner glove either of knit poly or wool. I avoid the kind of glove or mitt with fixed soft fleece lining. Comfy at first only when dry. Those are dangerous, IMO if there is any chance of moisture. When the fleece gets damp, either from sweating, or from external melted snow leaking through, if I take the gloves off for some reason, they are almost impossible to get back on through the fleece that likes to stick and turn itself inside out. I have been stuck with no gloves at all, struggling to slide my hands back in that wet fleece.

generally I just wear insulated work or ski gloves. If it gets really nasty, I'll add a pair of CF surplus mitts without the liners. the big thing is that I'll always have at least one extra pair with me and more in my pack so I can swap out wet for dry as needed, the damp pair go inside my jacket until they're dry too.

I don't like gloves much but have started wearing thin work gloves like mechanics wear. Good for handling things like firewood. For fishing I like fingerless wool gloves. I have some neoprene paddling gloves for really cold conditions but they are clunky. I have ski gloves for really cold conditions but they is usually only about 10 days a year when it is below zero.

I wear really warm hats, and that helps a lot to keep the hands warm.
I have some thin paddling gloves with no fingers for use in the summer for paddling and rowing. They protect the back of the hands and reduce friction.

I only wear gloves in mild weather. In colder weather it's mittens. My mittens aren't real heavy but they're big enough I can add a thin glove underneath. I've done this in -20*f with no problem. If I need dexterity I can pop off the mitten and I still have a light glove on.

Alan

Hmmm, really depend on temps and activity, xc skiing at -5c like tonight, just a light pair of un insulated ski gloves, working outside like splitting wood or cutting wood etc a pair of lined leather gloves down to -15-20c, standing outside or just walking in -30c and colder a pair of beaver mitts lined with genuine wool duffle!!

Thin gloves or fingerless thicker ones under mittens that are easy to slip off to do stuff. i fasten the mittens to my coat sleves so i dont have to keep track of them when using the gloves.

In the Arctic, the trad way to carry moosehide mittens is with a thong attached to each one, that goes under the parka and across the shoulders. Take off the mittens for dexterity with gloves, and they stay right there, ready to be put back on. Brain tanned and smoked hide has some water resistance.

I used to tie the mittens together with a cord like my mother used to do, but the dangle length never was right, so i now clip them to my sleeves.

If it's really cold but I still need a modicum of dexterity, I like "lobster-claw" mittens.

I went through my glove inventory, and that's the one type I don't have, outside of a pair of surplus army canvas jobs with a wool liner. Never kept my hands warm so I stopped wearing them decades ago. Do you have a commercially available recommendation?

I got some wool lobster claw mittens here - www.varusteleka.com I use them during hunting season- reasonably warm and comfortable. Really interesting and weird surplus and outdoor supply if you are not familiar.

Bob

A friend sent me these from Canada. He made them out of canvas with felt lining and deer hide palms, fit like a glove. Those Canadians, what can I say.

B252C392-D35A-4BE6-8DB8-2CA5771ECF26.jpeg

I no longer go canoe tripping in winter, so I guess my answer is "none" or "n/a". When I used to paddle canoes in winter, I wore polypro liner gloves under nitrile rubber gloves tucked under the wrist gasket of my drysuit. Completely waterproof.

Back