• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hammock consideration for a tent person

Reaction score
I have used hammocks but I prefer tents. The Haven tent https://haventents.com/?gclid=CjwKC...u8Iqt-lIJcliNxn_2mSygHdu_9xQdaPBoCFKkQAvD_BwE is basically a compact, lightweight one person tent that can be set-up on the ground or suspended as a hammock.

My intention is not to initiate a tent versus hammock debate I just wanted to introduce the Haven tent as an option to tent campers that are considering a hammock.

Attachments

• 118_9310.JPG
    118_9310.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 118_9309.JPG
    118_9309.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 15
Interesting.

How has it worked out for you? How well does it retain it's shape when hung with someone laying/sitting in it? How does it differ from sleeping in a hammock?

Alan

Does the pad stay put? That was the biggest problem I had until I solved it with the purchase of an underquilt

Alan, with regard to your question about how it retains it's shape when suspended, the Haven tent website includes set-up and use videos. One video demonstrates how body position effects the shape. I can lay relatively flat and level as long as my body weight is at or near center. When suspended it is a fully equipped bridge hammock with an inflatable sleeping pad so sleeping is comparable to other bridge style hammocks. With any hammock there are subtle difference.

The Haven tent caught my interest because it is compact, lightweight, quick and easy to set-up on the ground or suspended and is a complete system. I was pleased with the quality and function but l find hammocks too confining and din't use it enough so I sold it. This is an expensive product and I recommend " try before you buy ".

As an alternative to the OP's suggestion of the Haven tent, I would suggest for your consideration the Opeongo Aerial A1, https://opeongo.camp Not a 'hung' or 'free hanging' hammock, rather, a rigid base (like a trampoline) with a fitted fly and pole structure rather than a tarp-like fly for more secure storm performance.

Like the Haven, the Aerial A1 can be pitched as a traditional ground tent as well with seemingly greater structural strength. This is not a lightweight tent (2.45kg/5.4lbs), however, for canoe tripping weight seems to be less of a consideration than for backpacking.

Last edited:
Sweeper, yes the pad stayed put when I used it.

If you click on the link I provided then click on journal in the heading of that link it will provide videos that may anwser many questions you may have.

Thanks Patrick, it is often hard to find non-mainstream products that meet our requirements and helpful when others guide us to them. Being able to pitch the hammock on the ground if required was a critical requirement for me.

Back