• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Gunwale padding?

Reaction score
Does anyone pad their gunwales with anything? Only purpose would be to soften the occasional banging of paddle to boat. Hate to break the quiet solitude!

Bigpicture, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. Many of the site's technical features are explained in Features: Help and How-To Running Thread. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

The only time I've ever padded my gunwales has been very occasionally when I car top a wood gunwale canoe on top of metal car rack bars. I've used sections of foam pipe insulation on the gunwales where they contact the rack bars. However, the foam degrades quickly, holds rain, and sometimes ends up as a sticky mess. So, I haven't done that in quite a while.

I've never had any reason to pad gunwales while paddling. I have seen a few folks with aluminum canoes do it.

What kind of canoe do you have?

You need to "whip" your paddle!

Cotton cord is the traditional material (along with leather) but I have used nylon (3mm I think).

I've only done it to one paddle as I had low expectations of my skills and thought it was likely to get loose and fall off. Much to my surprise it's been 8 years (400+ paddling days) and it's still as tight as the day I put it on.

The instructions at the link suggest a 30cm (12") size, mine is about half that length.

1695417346984.png

Thanks for the welcome, Glenn. I have a wood 13-6 Chesapeake Lightcraft Sassafras solo which I built from a kit (stitch and glue). I’m from Bend, Oregon. I’ll try to add it to my profile.

If you learn to paddle correctly and efficiently as a means to propel your canoe, why would you need to pad?
Note that I said occasional. I normally use a kayak paddle in my solo boat. I’m thinking of a narrow strip of leather in the small strike zone, but recped’s suggestion about whipping is a good thought….

If you really feel the need try clear vinyl tubing from your hardware store. Slit an it will hold onto the gunnel nicely.

You need to "whip" your paddle!
My kids regress into dragging their paddles on the gunnels during longer trips. I'll have to try whipping their paddles.

I've also adopted easy maintenance finishes on my canoes. One has black aluminum gunnels that get touched up once a year during routine maintenance. Same for the finish on the wood gunnels.

I find high quality cycling handlebar tape on my paddles avoids the noise of the occasional touch to the gunnels. Not recommended to those who use a goon type stroke assisted off of the gunnels. Also keeps hands warm, paddling during the shoulder seasons.

paddleyoke.jpg

Gerald, I think you have the answer. I’d rather mod my paddle than my gunwales. Glad I joined this site, so much experience and knowledge to draw on. Thanks!

high quality cycling handlebar tape on my paddles

Gerald, that's a good idea. I'm curious about what you've got wrapped around your paddle blades. I first thought knee pads, but I also see what appears to be a kneeling pad on the floor. Or are they shoulder pads for portaging?

Back