• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Greetings from the little finger of Michigan.

Reaction score
If you dont understand my greeting just look at your hand, thumb pointed to the right.

I have lurked in the shadows for years on this site. Its about time I joined and said thank you to a few members. For the last 25 years or so I have been builing strippers in my head. Two years ago I finally built one for real. The canoe I built is the Kite, designed by John Winters. The information available on this site made the task much less daunting and I'm sure helped me avoid many mistakes. So, just to name a few. Thank You Stripperguy. Thank You Dogbrain. Thank You Alan Gage. Thank You Jimm Dodd. Thank You Memaquay. And thank you everybody else.

Attachments

• photo18782.jpg
    photo18782.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 2
Welcome! Very cool! Would love to build my own canoe someday. I from Grand Rapids but have a cabin in Lake county. I visit your neck of the woods quite often.

Mr. dog,
Welcome to official membership!! And thanks for the acknowledgement.
I can't speak for others, but one of the main reasons that I post build threads and details is to inspire and assist other builders (or would be builders).
Looks like that worked...
I've never been to your part of the country, how about a brief description, or maybe post a trip report of nearby paddling?
How do you like the Kite? I find it to be a versatile, comfortable hull.
And why the Kite? Anything in particular that drove you to choose that design?

Is that different from a Yooper?

Nice looking canoe and welcome!

Yoopers are their own breed and some of the nicest people in the world because they know they live in paradise. I'm a yooper wannabe. I lived there for 6 years. To them, I am a Troll. Someone who lives under the bridge. (South of the Mackinaw Bridge.)

Yes, the kite is a good looking canoe.

Mr. dog,
Welcome to official membership!! And thanks for the acknowledgement.
I can't speak for others, but one of the main reasons that I post build threads and details is to inspire and assist other builders (or would be builders).
Looks like that worked...
I've never been to your part of the country, how about a brief description, or maybe post a trip report of nearby paddling?
How do you like the Kite? I find it to be a versatile, comfortable hull.
And why the Kite? Anything in particular that drove you to choose that design?

Mr. Stripper, thank you again. Your tutorials probably saved me 100's of dollars. Leelanau County is home to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. A few years ago USAToday named it "The most beautiful place in the US". Personally I don't think any one spot in this great country can be singled out as best. That said, I really like where I live.

I chose the kite because i wanted a do all solo canoe with good looks. My domestic situation won't allow me to have a stable of solo canoes, yet. Paddleling ranges from tight twisty creeks to stillwater lakes to Lake Michigan. I have no experience with other solo canoes but i think the kite handles it all quite well.

Welcome! You live in near paradise...near only because of the winters, which I can no longer take. Tons of beautiful lakes, rivers, and the big lake...and CLEAR water! Beautiful boat for a beautiful environment! In case you’ve never been, the Asparagus Festival in Empire is a must.

Back