• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Greetings from Ontario

Reaction score
Long time canoeist from Ontario.

2020 paddling season -- first delayed due to restrictions on Crown Land camping and then at home commitments during the summer, last week was the first and last paddle in what has turned out to be a strange year. Still, so good to get out of the city and reconnect with Nature.

As you can see, there are brighter days ahead.

Cheers.

Attachments

• photo17316.jpg
    photo17316.jpg
    524.6 KB · Views: 0
Greetings! :)
Hope 2021 is a better paddling/canoe tripping year for you. Your province sure has some of the best canoeing opportunities in the world.
Love Algonquin Park!

Cheers.

Welcome to the site. Dreaming of getting back to Quetico someday ... longing for borders to open safely. Looking forward to brighter days.

Bob

A couple of my favorite & brighter burning canoe trip memories are from Ontario, pull up a log & sit down at our campfire.

Love Algonquin Park!

If you think Algonquin is great, you will LOVE Temagami -- it is the way Algonquin was 60 years ago.

Very few people.
Unmarked portages -- if you can't find it, you really shouldn't be out there. :)
Ancient routes.
Established sites, but on Crown Land -- no reservations required.

Pristine.

Welcome, just completed my last trip 2 days ago, Algonquin is still nice ... Temagami has been on the list for 3 years now, next year is the charm hopefully.

And always nice to have some one else from Ontario, so welcome.

Brian

Welcome, looking forward to reading more about Temagami. I'm about a half-hour away from the nearest parts of Algonquin and so have not been to Temagami for a long time now. Getting lazy in my old age, I guess, blind as a bat and older than dirt.

PS... Please elaborate on why it's better so I'll feel motivated to drive the extra kms. And don't leave out the details, esp on how bad the bugs are, and how much blood loss there will be. Excessive blood loss gives me hallucinations but maybe that's a good thing, esp on a rainy day. TY.

Last edited:
Welcome, looking forward to reading more about Temagami. I'm about a half-hour away from the nearest parts of Algonquin and so have not been to Temagami for a long time now. Getting lazy in my old age, I guess, blind as a bat and older than dirt.

PS... Please elaborate on why it's better so I'll feel motivated to drive the extra kms. And don't leave out the details, esp on how bad the bugs are, and how much blood loss there will be. Excessive blood loss gives me hallucinations but maybe that's a good thing, esp on a rainy day. TY.

Lady Evelyn River N and S channels.
Bugs are what bugs are.
Maple Mountain
Even these http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Canoeing/tem_beaten.htm are less congested than Algonquin.. Those couple of hours more drive matter. FT was what you wrote for the Onion? Can't believe you haven't been there.

Yah that older than dirt feeling hit home but we have discovered a lot of canoeing.. at home. Last week just a mile south of the Canadian Border.

I miss Ontario as Lake Superior still calls to me..

IMG_4740_1_2_3_4_tonemapped  resize.jpg

Took me back to my youth, all us young guys back then wanted to be a Ranger. Now girls can be Rangers, darn good ones too.

It isn't that Temagami is better so much as it has a completely different vibe -- it is rugged, less travelled, more isolated and you are not in an organized park per se and can go days without encountering another paddler.

No reservations.
Just you, the land and the water.
And your skills to bring you safely home.

Plus, there is an inherent spirituality to the land -- these are ancient pathways and campsites used by those who have gone before us. As much as I love Algonquin, there is a deeper connection to be felt in this sacred place. At least for me, anyway.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/History/nastawgan.htm

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/nastawgan/nastaw-index.htm

Back