• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Greetings from New Jersey

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Dan and I am canoeist, It all started ...... No seriously, my wife and I started paddling tandem in between that distraction called work 3 years ago and have been paddling further and staying out longer and learning as we go. Both of us share a love for the wilderness though living in Jersey makes it tough to just up and go on a whim so we are always focused on our next trip, learning and refining our skills. Our children are older my son graduates college this weekend and my wife's daughter will be 16 this month so we are enjoying more latitude to get on the water.
We currently have 2 inexpensive canoes from previous marriages and are looking to purchase our 1st at the end of this season, leaning towards a Minnesota II by Wenonah UL Kevlar and are working to refine our gear, we had too much when we paddled the Allagash Waterway last fall for our wedding anniversary. Ideally we'd like to be in 1 main bag for all of our gear and then a smaller one for my camera equipment & tripod (my other passion). I use dry bags for all gear.
We cook and dehydrate all our own meals, use a jet boil sumo backpacking stove & sleep in a Big Agnes Dream Island 15 degree double sleeping bag.

I have been looking for a while to find a group that focuses on open canoes vs kayaks and camping or tripping and its not been easy. We are members of the Northern Forest Canoe Trail and did a waterway work trip last year to build a clean drain dry station at the Missisquoi Wild Life Preserve and met a couple of folks who go out for more than day trips. We want to learn, meet like minded folks and discover more destinations to enjoy before they are gone or we are not able to go out and enjoy them.

We are headed to ADK for Memorial Day weekend for a 4 or 5 day trip not sure of the route yet still debating.

I don't talk about myself too well and can ramble so Ill stop, its nice to land where there are like minded folks who love the wild places and travel by open hulled boats! Looking forward to making friends and gleaning knowledge.

You landed in the right place here!! A lot can be learned from looking at old posts. There is a lot of good info and stories. There are a lot of opinions here and favorite ways of doing things that don't work for everyone. That's what makes this forum so great: the diversity of methods, techniques, gear and even canoes.
Welcome and enjoy.
Regards,
Dave

Thank you glad to be here. I noticed a lot of soloists here, are there many tandem paddlers?

dan,

Welcome to the forum! I've been paddling tandem with MDB (My Darling Bride) since 1973...We paddle mostly solo now, but I still pair up with whomever, depending on how the boats work out.
If you have any questions about paddling destinations in the ADK's, just give a shout. Some of here have been paddling those waters for a very long time...lots of great, overlooked spots. Same for camping sites, there are some great spots that largely are ignored.

Welcome, Dan (and by extension Mrs. Dan)! I hope you know how lucky you are to have a partner who enjoys what you do.
I've done 14 Boundary Waters trips, 8 of them solo and 6 tandem (trip reports available for all). I suspect most others here also go both ways.
Please share more of your experience.

Some small gems exist...Sand Lake, short carry from Powley-Piseco Rd

DSC_2887.JPG

Fishing Brook, just off the Rt 28N, near Long Lake

DSC_3060.JPG

Cedar River, 2 miles downstream from Benton Rd put in

DSC_3155.JPG

Phil,

Boy do I know it - She tents, fishes, portages and goes a week or more at a time and absolutely loves it which just makes me over the top happy.

Dan

Stripperguy

WOW going to be a tough choice and the start of our ADK list.
THANK YOU!!

Dan & Nicole (AKA Mrs. Dan)

Back