• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Great Explorers: P. G. Downes

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
". . . the classroom could not contain his restless body and curious mind. He decided to turn his love of languages and hobbies into an actual life’s work. He yearned to explore more of Canada’s northern regions, especially the Barren Grounds, an arctic region west of Hudson Bay. It features an abundance of lakes, many long, technical rivers, a quadrillion rocks, and tundra as far as the eye can see.

"Downes compiled his observations into four diaries, which included notes, illustrations, sketches, and maps. He wrote about anything he saw, from his mental state to vivid details of grueling portages. He even pressed dead mosquitoes into his journal."

Funny - opened that site, and it has two photos of different people, both identified as P.G Downes. Neither is Downes - the people pictured are Lopizun and Zahbadese, his two Chipewyan companions on the "Sleeping Island" trip.

I agree Sleeping Island is a great read, and his journals are even better. I wouldn't recommend that site as a source of information.

-wjmc

One of my heroes and someone who had a lot of influence on me when I was still taking canoe trips (and hope to again one day).

Sleeping Island is a must read as are his journals of that (and other trips) entitled Distant Summers Vol 1 and Vol 2. His journals contain many fascinating photos.

As wjmc pointed out the pictures in the link are not Downes.

There

Funny - opened that site, and it has two photos of different people, both identified as P.G Downes. Neither is Downes - the people pictured are Lopizun and Zahbadese, his two Chipewyan companions on the "Sleeping Island" trip.

Yes, the OP article from Explorersweb identifies those two pictures differently from a seeming expert on Facebook, HERE. All three pictures in the Explorersweb article show men in flat caps, including the following supposed picture of Downes in a canoe, which wjmc doesn't challenge.

J.P. Downes in Canoe.jpg

Here is another article about Downes:

Here are two pictures of Downes from that article. He doesn't look much like the flat capped men.

P.G. Downes with Cree Indian Friend.png

P.G. Downes in 1940.png

One of my heroes as well. I love in Sleeping Island when he declares, standing on some vista with lakes spread out befor him, "Well, I suppose I shall never be so happy again." Sums up deep, immersive canoe tripping. I'll have to track down his journals.

I'll have to track down his journals.

Here is a link to volume 1:

Volume 2 has been very difficult to find online for years but someone said Mcgahern books was at a canoe conference and had stacks of both volumes so perhaps if you contact them directly they do have volume 2 available as well.

Alan

If I remember right volume 2 contains the journal from his Sleeping Island trip.

What most impressed me was how closely the book, Sleeping Island, was to the actual journal he kept during the trip. There wasn't any embellishing or make believe in an attempt to make a more interesting book. The only real difference was that the journal contained a lot more information.

Alan

Back