• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Going heavier

If I'm going to be making bannock, I bring the Coleman single-burner with extra fuel. In its waterproof box it weighs 5.5 lbs. Then I also bring a frying pan, spatula, and a couple of metal plates (one to use as a lid for the pan). Otherwise I use an Esbit stove and my cook kit consists of a 1.5-qt pot, bowl, spoon, insulated mug, and small utensil bag.

I use two tarps. One is a 10x12 CCS silnylon that weighs 3 lbs including the ropes and a few long aluminum stakes. The other tarp is 6x8 poly at 1.5 lbs. That goes over the latrine. I do NOT like wet TP! My chair weighs 5 lbs but I just got one that weighs 3.5 lbs. Big deal....

I've looked into tarptents, can't convince myself that 2 lbs is worth taking chances on severe weather protection. I've been in 50-mph winds and I guess that sorta made a believe out of me - tent plus tarp plus tie-downs is the way (for me) to go.

Lots of good ideas here.

Regarding tarptents and high winds & storms...I've found that how/where you pitch them when the weather looks dicey makes all the difference in the world. I did have one night in an open meadow where the winds and rain really shook everyone throughout the night. By having the low end into the wind we stayed dry and comfortable. What I found when I made the move to them is they are like every other piece of equipment I've ever owned or used; there's a significant learning curve before you dial it all in. Along the curve is when things can be uncomfortable but a little perseverance goes a long way.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

How come the Coleman is required for your making bannock? Maybe my bannock is not great..I use the Windpro on a low setting.

BTW I got lazy and love the cheezy garlic biscuit pack from Betty Crocker. Makes enough for a couple of biscuit filled meals. I just make it like bannock.

But speaking of going heavier, I found a little enamel long handled fry pan this morning after my slide to the gear shed(its still a sheet of ice around here). Think it will go with me for bannock, though it is not light.

If I'm on a trip with lots of portaging or want to move fast and far, I'll take my UL backpacking gear and just throw my solo over my shoulder and go.

However, there are situations where I might have time or be in a location where there are no portages or I want to basecamp it for 2 days or so. Then I start looking at creature comforts.

Luckily, I have the gear to adjust my trips accordingly.

I prefer the challenge of going light. I enjoy dehydrating my own food during the winter. I purchased a 1995 Wilderness Systems kayak that weighs 36 pounds. When I got it home I made my own yoke and removed the stock seat. This allows me to stow my boundary pack under the rear deck and I use a stadium seat. I would rather do one trip carries for saving time and less work. I have sat and watched 2 guys make 6 trips to transfer their gear at the upper dam at Bog River. Lots of work and waist of time in my book! I also don't waste time looking for the "perfect campsite" (no such thing)! Less preferable sites have more firewood. I'll wave to you as I pass you on your carries and get your campsite! Happy portaging!

Back