• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

give um a good shellacing

I have not shellacked a lot of bottoms, I do like to use it on the interior of wood canvas canoes after stripping as a sealer. Anyway, on the canoe bottom, I have used 3 pound cut. Be sure and use fresh stuff and apply in thin coats. I put it directly on the cured filler, which has a paint base, otherwise I have no experience putting it on paint.

Thanks Fitz, I have about 10lbs. amber flake ( +/- 3 gals. of 3lb. cut ). 1 gal. should be plenty for a 15' canoe, but don't know how many coats should be applied. I would think You could shellac over paint as it seems to stick to anything.

I think a gallon would do a lot of canoes. Probably as many coats as you like and stop when you are happy with the finish. I am guessing 3 to 5 coats. It is an acquired taste. Looks a bit muddy. You can easily add more coats later. Just scuff up the finish and add another coat. That is the beauty of shellac - easy bottom maintenance.

Exactly , the choice between repainting the canoe or shellac below the waterline seems to favor the shellac, drys extremely quickly, can reapply a fresh coat whenever, affords an level of protection. I just have to figure best way to establish a waterline.

Back