• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Gear Drive

G

My wife, a teacher in our local city school district, has informed me no outdoor club exists for middle school students in her district. I thought the current club included them, but I was misinformed.

As such, she is going to try to make a pre-high school outdoor club for 7th and 8th graders. I'm not sure when this is going to happen, but I hope sometime soon.

I'm not a teacher, I'm merely just a volunteer who can show up and herd kids when need be, but I did mention trying to collect old gear. I was going to do this for the high school club, but it seems I'm being directed toward this new club that doesn't exist yet. Maybe they can share. I don't understand the politics.

Anyway we have plans of doing things ranging from skiing to canoeing or kayaking, but mainly I think it will be hiking because that requires less gear and money.

As for the gear, it would be nice to try to get together a minimal set of stuff for overnight backpack or canoe trips to lessen the burden of renting.

Right now I'm looking for packs, sleeping bags, sleeping mats, tents, mess kits, and stuff like that. Things like stoves and water filters I'm thinking are less useful as base setup and could be carried by adults.

If you have anything that is collecting dust in the basement or garage, and you'd like to get rid of it, let me know. I'm going to try to get something official from the school so you don't think I'm just hoarding old gear but I'm not sure what the timeline on that will be. Again I'm just a goat herder.

Is there a way to get it to you without mailing? Backpacks aren't easy! I am happy to rummage but are you going to Lows Lake? That would be a good rendezvous in the parking lot. (not at the campsite!!)

It's OK - I was hoping the message was still in the data base and Robin could recover it.

What I was going to say is I don't know about the details of shipping gear. I could do a pick up if it seems worthwhile.

As far as Lows, I can't make it during the week, I have work and my vacation is up in the air. I might be able to be there Columbus day, but I doubt you guys will be heading in then.

The other option is heading up Saturday the weekend after Columbus day weekend, staying at Horseshoe lake and meeting up with you guys if you are coming out on Sunday at the Lower Dam.

I'd like to see about getting some form from the school for donations so whoever donated could deduct it from their taxes.

My wife is home now so I'll talk it over with her. Thanks for the support!

Sunday after on Horshoe would work. I have some internal frame backpacks and sleeping mats. Will check attic for more

That would be awesome! As of now I'm in. Make sure you confirm with me before you leave in case something comes up.

l'oiseau,

I am doing Lila to Lows and coming out either Sunday 10/12 or Monday 10/13. Maybe I could arrange to drop off some stuff with Anne at Raquette River Outfitters and you could pick it up there in Tupper Lake?

Cheers,
Barry

Barry,

That might work. I don't know Anne but we could see if she would oblige. I'm trying to convince either the high school club, or the new middle school club to do a trip to Lows or Lila in the future, so maybe we'd give them some business as well. Do you want me to call and ask what their policy on that is?

Thanks so much.
Mike

PS If you do donate something and you want a tax form, leave your info and I'll mail it to you. My wife says she can get the forms.

I think for now gear is going to go to the High School Club and we'll see about sharing it with the Middle School students.

l'oiseau,

I can ask her or Rob when I arrange for a shuttle next week. If she's tight on space, I will request your address in a PM and mail it to you.

OK let me talk to the club about paying for shipping. They are pretty taxed right now because of the Algonquin trip they did this month.

Also I posted this in the other thread where I asked for donations for the Pathfinder trip, but my wife works for this school:

http://www.rcsdk12.org/Domain/3352

She teaches middle school English.

Right now she is fundraising for the entire class to go to Camp Corey on Keuka lake. They stay in cabins but they get the kids out in canoes and kayaks. They do it during the week so it doesn't work well for me. I don't always have extra time off work this time of year.

My plan for the winter is to try to get kids on skis. I am literally going to hit the burbs door to door and try to scrounge up as many pairs as I can that are sitting in peoples garages. I know they are there. I need to check with places we can rent too. The school owns snowshoes, but I feel skiing is generally more exciting and will entice more participation.

This outdoor club thing is pretty new and some of the people running it aren't all that well versed in outdoor recreation, so I'm hoping to do some consulting to help them get the most out of their trips as well as provide a little experience in terms of skiing, paddling and backpacking. The Adirondacks is big on my list for these kids - most have never been or don't even they exist.

Also I've been trying to get more involved in this for the past 2 or 3 years but my wife had been moving around in the district. She is finally somewhat settled, so I think it's time to help develop this club.

Last edited:
Well lets not count on the phone - if I get reception chances are my battery will be dead. But I'll be driving a black 2014 Subaru Forester. I can pm the license plate number because I may not be the only black Subaru Forester...

There was a dedicated post for this if that makes it less cringe-worthy. The school is not choosy. Space is limited I am told but I'm going to try to throw out some football gear to make room...

Tentative plan is still the weekend of the 18th and 19th.

Last edited:
We will have a maroon Honda Ridgeline with a cap with Maine license plates. It ought to be easy to find. The cap is open If you want to donate and the black Forester isn't there put it in the back of the Honda. This is for anyone else seeking to dispose of surplus gear to get kids going in the outdoors.

If we're on the water we'll be in a white Hemlock Eagle, or if it's just me, a white Hemlock Peregrine.

This is for anyone else seeking to dispose of surplus gear to get city kids going in the outdoors.

Fixed that for ya... most of these kids don't have the opportunities that some of us had living in a rural setting (I speak mainly for myself). Parents don't know the outdoors and don't have money to send kids to camp.

Tsk tsk.. shame on you for putting words in that I didn't write..

The pile is pretty high.. two tents four packs and three pads... Don't annoy me. We are testing everything tomorrow to make sure that we did not leave money in the packs and that the pads stay inflated.

If stuff doesn't work, no worries - we'll repair it if we can, recycle if we can't.

I'll make it worth your while. I'll give you a nice bottled gift for your hard work and generosity.

Last edited:
Probably not. Issues arose. It doesnt help that Thursday is going to be a terrible driving day.. Its eight hours and no interstate.

So I'm guessing you are not heading out now?

Please let me know because we may be changing our plans for the weekend based on whether or not we are going to pick up gear or not.

P.S. It's not a big deal if you can't make it. I'm sure I can scrounge up plenty of stuff locally.

Thanks,
Mike

No.. The forecast is devastating here for flooding and just crappy in general for the ADKs. The drive is 8 hours or more each way and involves at least one motel, plus $30 in ferry tolls.

If there were color remaining and blue skies possible I would be more interested.

Also medical issues that make me tired. I'll find out soon how serious

For the rest.. I hope you have a good trip.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Hope you feel better.

Yes forecast looks horrible. I think we are going to the Mountaineer in Keene Valley to get the wife fit for some ski boots. Not exciting, but better than staying home.

Back