• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

FS: Wenonah Wilderness

Reaction score
Up for sale is a Wenonah Wilderness in the Flex-Core Tuf-Weave construction. It weighs 43 lbs and is in excellent condition having seen only light use. Purchased new last year.

Pictures can be seen here: http://holmes.zenfolio.com/p702453279

Selling price is $1350. Located in Wyoming.

Thank you.

Hope you sell it quick. Too bad. I have rack space for it but we were on WY yesterday now headed to Maine

I have a Wilderness in the UL layup (32 lbs). Is there something you didn't like about the canoe? Just curious.
Good luck selling it. I find it just about perfect for what I do.
Regards,
Dave

Hope you sell it quick. Too bad. I have rack space for it but we were on WY yesterday now headed to Maine

Sorry to have missed you. Safe travels to you on your way home.

I have a Wilderness in the UL layup (32 lbs). Is there something you didn't like about the canoe? Just curious.
Good luck selling it. I find it just about perfect for what I do.
Regards,
Dave

No complaints with the boat at all. An excellent all around canoe. I have one in the Royalex construction as well that has seen quite a bit of use on our North Platte river (medium size slow river). I've had the composite Wilderness out on the lakes of Yellowstone and the Tetons a few times on short camp trips. The friend I was with is an "everything and the kitchen sink" camper thus the Wilderness was the pack horse for these little ventures - she paddles a kayak :) I had a bulky 90 lb load in the Wilderness which it handled easily and we ate and slept like royalty.

The Wilderness is the canoe that finally got me to try bent shaft paddles. I've mostly paddled small tandems solo and kneeling with a straight shaft in the past. With the Wilderness I still paddle kneeling most of the time but I've learned the benefit of grabbin' the bent and sitting on the seat when it comes time to cross a large lake. Never had a boat before that could be paddled efficiently from a seated position with a bent. I seldom sit 'n switch unless its windy, primarily use a mild J with the bent.

The Wilderness is more seaworthy than I would have expected. I found this out once while paddling on Yellowstone lake. Got caught in a pretty good thunderstorm a few miles from my put-in. I was close to shore and had plenty of opportunity to get off the water so I decided to paddle a while directly upwind just to see how she'd do. I'm 170 lbs and I had a day kit of 30 lbs in the stern. The canoe handled the heavy short period chop far better than I would have guessed. I would not have tried this in my Pal solo. I had to finally get off as the rain was turning to hail but it gave me a good idea of how the Wilderness would run in the nasty stuff.

My only niggle with the Wilderness is the adjustable seat hardware. I find it fiddly and rattly. On the plastic boat I replaced the shoulder bolts with regular bolts thus a position change now requires tools but I only change it when someone else is paddling the boat. In the composite canoe I flipped the seat brackets raising the seat height by about an inch which works better for me at 6'-2". With the seat at its highest angled position I can easily go from kneeling to seated quite comfortably.

Now that I've nearly written a review in response to a simple question I'll confess to too many paddle craft in the stable. I'd like to build a Kite (a Winters update of his Osprey) and I'm out of room. But after writing this response I find myself having second thoughts. Perhaps if I built a shed behind my garage I could relocate some equipment and re-arrange things in the garage. Hmmm.... :)

I agree with everything you commented on. An underappreciated canoe. I put some nylon washers on those shoulder bolts so I could fix the seat in one position to get rid of all that rattling .
Dave

I agree with everything you commented on. An underappreciated canoe. I put some nylon washers on those shoulder bolts so I could fix the seat in one position to get rid of all that rattling .
Dave

Excellent! Sometimes I walk right past the simple solutions. A visit to the hardware store is now on tomorrow's agenda.

Gosh, this is a really old post, I know, but did you ever sell the Wilderness?

Gosh, this is a really old post, I know, but did you ever sell the Wilderness?

Howdy,

I did end up selling the canoe just before the holiday season to a paddler in Colorado.

Thank you for your interest and the best of luck to you.

Back