• Happy Peace Officers Memorial Day! 👮🏽‍♂️👮‍♀️

Fish Pond, St Regis canoe wilderness area

Those drone photos are pretty cool. Yes, it would be irritating to have one buzzing around, but they sure can capture interesting perspectives. Thanks Stripperguy.

Sure is nice to see the new Kite out enjoying the water already and even better to hear that it performed well. Nice (and fast) work!

Alan

I'd be happy to see more !

Great drone work. I'm told you can't use them in the BWCA.

Jim

The drones will likely be against regulations in the ADK wilderness areas (that's where we were) soonly. Today, at least, they are not yet banned.
I freely admit they are loud up close...my one buddy took a phone video of the thing going rogue, you can hear us laughing like crazy at our other buddy's misfortune!!

I came up with a Field Expedient fix to the chair problem while camped out on Polliwog Pond

I came up with a Field Expedient fix to the chair problem while camped out on Polliwog Pond

Ha! That's 'grate'

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

I need to drop 25 more lbs... it seems that no matter how well those super light chairs are built, they aren't meant for 225 plus. Even when the hardware holds up well, the fabric stretches out and becomes uncomfortable.

Jason

I bought and installed the chair leg shoes that Travelchair uses. They really help.
Turtle

Recently while camped up at Lake Durant a large and noisy drone flew over our site on two separate occasions, it was quite intrusive and the second pass over resulted in one of our group heading down the woods road to find the operator, while another guy shouted general threats in the direction it headed off to...me, I contemplated a pro quality target slingshot I owned years ago for it's possible future usage...

Drones are interesting tech, but the operators need to be aware of the intrusiveness, noise levels, snooping that folks on the ground would be experiencing. I can see a noisy and contentious drone tech thread developing here between adherents and old crabby Luddites like me.

Great report, you had me with the two broken legs and jaw, good story. I enjoyed those pics of the beautiful boats, and I must admit that the drone shots are pretty cool.
Thanks for sharing a nice trip.

Recently while camped up at Lake Durant a large and noisy drone flew over our site on two separate occasions, it was quite intrusive and the second pass over resulted in one of our group heading down the woods road to find the operator, while another guy shouted general threats in the direction it headed off to...me, I contemplated a pro quality target slingshot I owned years ago for it's possible future usage...

Drones are interesting tech, but the operators need to be aware of the intrusiveness, noise levels, snooping that folks on the ground would be experiencing. I can see a noisy and contentious drone tech thread developing here between adherents and old crabby Luddites like me.

Southcove,
The drones are decidedly intrusive. As it happened, we were the only group for several miles. We all wondered what might have happened if it struck one of us after it went rogue! In any event, DEC and APA are looking right now at the legality of drones in wilderness areas. It is very likely they will be banned, same as anything with a motor.

Great report, you had me with the two broken legs and jaw, good story. I enjoyed those pics of the beautiful boats, and I must admit that the drone shots are pretty cool.
Thanks for sharing a nice trip.

Robin,
Thanks, I figured the broken legs and jaw would be an easy hook to set! Every word accurate and factual, as well as intentionally misleading. My buddy with the drone has some great videos too, but apparently sharing them with the group is not one of his priorities.

Last edited:
Back