• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

First Time Tripping in the BWCA - 2014

Reaction score
Engineer by day, parent by night, and nature junkie by weekend, I live for the solitude and beauty of wild places. Usually, I'm the orchestrator of my family's outdoor adventures. With his boyhood passion for canoe camping burning full flame, my husband surprised me by orchestrating our family canoe trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.

Having recently returned from our first Boundary Waters canoe trip, I can say only one thing, …I'’m hooked! We'’ve been back only a few days, and already it’s impossible to stop scrolling through trip photos and daydreaming about our next Boundary Waters adventure.

Despite my forgetting my hiking boots, and doing the whole trip in my work shoes, and despite the rainy week, and despite an unmanageable pit bull at the put in and following us through several portages, it was wonderful.

photo976.jpg

Our contrary child (who stubbornly insists she doesn'’t like our wilderness adventures despite our continually catching her having fun) did not get to see a moose, which was her quest for the trip. But we did get slapped by a beaver, saw plenty of loons, and watched eagles fish. Our daughter did more singing and smiling than ever, and she says she wants to back. Of course, she insists for our benefit that it’s only because she wants to see a moose.

As for myself, time moves quickly in the wilderness. I feel so much more myself, and so very much at home in the outdoors. I loved every wet, muddy, rainy minute of it. My husband, like me, can’t wait to get back out there and do it again!

Want to hear the whole story? Check it out at http://mamasbasecamp.blogspot.com/20...ry-waters.html

DSC03106 (640x480).jpg

Attachments

• photo976.jpg
    photo976.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03106 (640x480).jpg
    DSC03106 (640x480).jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo977.jpg
    photo977.jpg
  • photo977.jpg
    photo977.jpg
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. The BWCA is on my to do list - I hope to get there in a couple of years.

I like the photos.

How do you like the NEOS Trekkers? I picked up a pair and haven't tried them yet.

Thanks mama, that was nice. Your daughter is probably hooked on canoe trips too, though it may take a moose sighting before she'll admit to it. I loved hearing about your wildlife encounters. Rain. It's funny how great times can be had despite the weather...or because of it? In any case, a fun family trip. Thanks for sharing it.

Hanz,

I've used the NEOS about a dozen times, just got them in May. World's greatest Mother's Day gift! Love them. They served me very well in the Sylvania Wilderness and the BWCA. Need to earn some more vacation hours to put them to the test some more :)

How do you like the NEOS Trekkers? I picked up a pair and haven't tried them yet.

Hanz, Try your Neos even if you have to do it at home. My husband bought our daughter a birthday pair and they leaked rapidly. Tried this weekend - first time use. Since I love mine, he's going to try to return in exchange for a different pair.

Thanks Mama! I'm pleased to report mine and my Sweetheart's worked OK for trip. I did step too seep once and got water inside - all my fault.

Other times I was moist or damp inside them but I don't know if that was water seeping in or perspiration. They worked well for this time of year when I don't want to wet foot it but also don't want to commit to hot neoprene socks. They were fine for the half mile carry we experienced.

I'm glad they were OK out of the box - it would have stunk to find out they leaked out on the trip.

Thanks again

Back