• Happy Red Planet Day! 🚀🛰️

First stripper build: Prospector-16 Help & comments appreciated

Reaction score
Yeah, Jim. I remember you warning: "Don't weave too tight" Just not sure what too tight is. That's why I bought enough webbing for 4 sets of seats. One for this canoe, one for the next, and two extra for redoing these after I paddle it a bit.

Unfortunately, any paddling yet this fall is likely going to be solo. Not going to see 50's after this week. At least my dog will go with me.

Reaction score
Every boatshop worth anything has a moaning chair. I’ve sat in mine more than a couple times.
Jim

I have such a chair ! I also sit in it, when I mix epoxy ! Yes, I turn it towards the clock !

Somehow I relax a little when glassing. Helps keep this Old Geezer going !

Yeah, Jim. I remember you warning: "Don't weave too tight" Just not sure what too tight is. That's why I bought enough webbing for 4 sets of seats. One for this canoe, one for the next, and two extra for redoing these after I paddle it a bit.

Unfortunately, any paddling yet this fall is likely going to be solo. Not going to see 50's after this week. At least my dog will go with me.
If the cord sags a little in the middle, say a half inch, from front to back, It should be pretty close.

Reaction score
View attachment 132834

I’m finally able to resume my build and am installing Gilpatrick style low-line attatchment holes using 3/4 inch copper pipe. I believe alsg did the same on his Wabnaki build and perhaps he’ll chime in.
Yes, that's exactly how I did it on my Wabnaki and I'm so glad I did!!! Great for tie downs to the car and the low placement makes it a good location for painters when you are lining the canoe!

Reaction score
Well, it's been a long time coming, but the canoe is done until spring, when I'll give it a light buff, and another coat of varnish. I have 3 coats on now. I actually finished it 3 1/2 weeks ago, but I've been waiting for the varnish to cure enough to launch it. It finally saw the water on Saturday. First pond I went to was iced over, so I went to a bigger & deeper lake. A HUGE thank you to all of you that have provided guidance and support on my first build. I didn't have any canoe paddles at home, so I went with a couple kayak paddles. I'm going to be making a few straight, and a few bent shaft paddles this winter. I've never used a bent shaft, but figure as long as I'm making paddles, might just as well make a few.
IMG-2540.jpg
img-2542-jpg.133361

IMG-2544.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-2542.jpg
    IMG-2542.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 2