• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

FCFS campsites

In WI we have FCFS campsites on lakes like Willow Reservoir, Chippewa Flowage and Turtle Flambeau. These fairly large lakes attract many dedicated fishermen where, for many, camping is merely cheap accommodations. Especially with most things shut down last year these places got hammered. With so many vying for a handful of sites competition was fierce. Then you always run into the occasions someone has a local buddy set up a ‘claiming’ tent on a site to hold it. Yes, that’s a no no per the rules but it happens.

Guess this is why I’m lean toward reservation campsites. But, in situations where sites are plentiful and campers are rare FCFS is awesome.

While I've been caught short a few times with FCFS campsites, for the most part, it's worked here in the Adirondacks. That said, there are a few places in the Adirondacks where you're supposed to put a tag on the site number you're heading for so others know it's taken. Even with that system in place, I've come to my site only to find someone already there who never bothered to put the tag up. That's incredibly annoying when now you have to paddle back to the board, select a new site and try again. Honestly, I'd just rather it be FCFS and leave it at that.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I agree with Snapper, FCFS generally works in the ADKs. Just this past weekend I went to a popular canoe camping destination in the ADKs. I didn't get either of the sites I was hoping for, but still got one that I was happy with. This has pretty much been my experience over the last 40+ years canoe camping in the ADKs (even during the Covid period).

What do you do if there is no available campsite? If you are on a large lake and it's becoming dark. Surely some have pulled into an inconspicuous spot, that wasn't a designated camp site, and spent the night?

I've done that a time or two. It wasn't in the Boundary Waters or Algonquin or any other canoe wilderness area. I've stayed on an island in a river where I found out it was private property the next morning. I never knew people could own a little spit of an island on a small river. A few other places along lake shorelines that were part of a national park. These were the moments that you realize that you were misinformed, and past the point of returning.

I always practice leave no trace, and I do try to adhere to the laws and policies, but there is sometimes the oh Snap moment.

What do you do if there is no available campsite? If you are on a large lake and it's becoming dark. Surely some have pulled into an inconspicuous spot, that wasn't a designated camp site, and spent the night?

I've done that a time or two. It wasn't in the Boundary Waters or Algonquin or any other canoe wilderness area. I've stayed on an island in a river where I found out it was private property the next morning. I never knew people could own a little spit of an island on a small river. A few other places along lake shorelines that were part of a national park. These were the moments that you realize that you were misinformed, and past the point of returning.

I always practice leave no trace, and I do try to adhere to the laws and policies, but there is sometimes the oh Snap moment.

That has been debated ad nauseam over on the BWCA website. The general consensus is that only you know if your really stuck and then yes safety trumps all. At that point it is LNT, no fire, cold camp, and out at first light.

In WI we have FCFS campsites on lakes like Willow Reservoir, Chippewa Flowage and Turtle Flambeau.

I spent this (Memorial Day) weekend on the WF. I'm writing this from a site there, actually. Be here all week. I haven't been paying close attention (because I'm a local that moved in mid-week) but I noticed at least 3 available sites this weekend. I was not in the main bay or north of Coyote Island at all.

I heard that some sites on the TF can be reserved. Sylvania is a nice little non-motorized gem just across the border in the UP where campsites can (must) be reserved.

I love FCFS sites, but if I was locked into a job where I have to apply for time off months ahead of time I would probably prefer reservations. But never for a place like the BWCA, Q, Algonquin because of unpredictable weather. In Everglades NP, where you have to reserve campsites for every night, rangers told me not to be too worried about hitting all of my reserved sites if the weather was foul unless it was a chickee or a tight land site.

That has been debated ad nauseam over on the BWCA website. The general consensus is that only you know if your really stuck and then yes safety trumps all. At that point it is LNT, no fire, cold camp, and out at first light.

The recent uptick in BWCA use and conversations like this have me worried that the BWCA is heading towards full reservations if the apparent overuse is not checked through the entry permit system. I skipped the bwca last year for the first time in a while, and might miss it this year as well, but I spent/will be spending plenty of time just a couple miles away in the Superior National Forest where they don't have permits, reservations or crowds.

In 40+ years of canoe camping in the ADKs that happened literally once (on a July 4 weekend at a popular spot). I just picked a location 150 ft. back from the lake shore and spent the night there. The next day I looked for paddlers heading out, saw one and took their site. If I didn't get a site, I would just have gone back to that site or found another to minimize impact. In most areas of the ADKs, it is not a problem because there are a lot of sites and the 150 ft. rule applies.

Last August during the peak use (because of Covid), I went to a popular area that only allows camping at designated sites. The lot was packed with cars, I was worried about getting a campsite and was formulating a plan B. I decided to paddle out and see the situation for myself. I was checking out the sites scattered around this large lake and was getting discouraged because they were all taken. Then I came to a site where a large group was loading their canoes. They were leaving leaving, so I was able to get their spot. The next night we even moved to a better spot when another group was leaving.

In a pinch, it is also possible to share a spot for a night. I have offered that on several occasions. I really don't worry about it; my experience has been that it works out. But then again, that's the ADKs and every place is different. I plan to retire about a year from now and plan on doing most of my trips mid-week or at least start them then to really minimize the chances of that happening.

Last edited:
Back