• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Favorite knife sharpener ?

Reaction score
Do you have a favorite knife sharpening device or system ?

For reshaping or repairing damaged edges I use oil or wet stones and often in conjunction with a fixed angle sharpening system.

For general edge maintenance I use a Victorinox portable knife sharpener.

Attachments

• 101_0080.JPG
    101_0080.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 101_0079.JPG
    101_0079.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
DMT diamond stones with water in course, med and fine. I use compound and a strop as well. This is the same system I use for my woodworking hand tools.

I have a tiny strop I use in camp with my carving kit to touch something up.

Bob

Bob, I am skeptical about personal product review videos that I see on the internet but after viewing your post I googled reviews of DMT diamond stones and I am considering trying them. The issue I have with natural and man made stones is how quickly they wear and need the surface flatten. Reviewers also claim that they DMT stones cut quicker and if that is true it is an added bonus.

Diamond stones

Diamond versus CBN

John

Last edited:
A professional woodworker friend of mine told me about them. I have been using them for a few years with no issues. I have the 10” version and they are not cheap unfortunately.

I have also heard good things about eze-lap stones as well.

Bob

I have been using CBN sharpening plates for a couple of years. I have had diamond plates and chose the CBN all the time. They also make credit card sized ones which which almost nothing and they are double sided with two different grits.
Jim

For knives I've settled on the Razor Sharp Edgemaking System (www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com). It consists of two 8 inch paper wheels on a high speed bench grinder. One wheel is charged with silicon carbide grit and the other with buffing compound. Sharpening is free hand, fast and forgiving. For a really fine edge I finish up on rouge charged leather glued to a flat hardwood block.

I’ve been using Spyderco’s “Sharpmaker” for over 20 years. Comes with medium and fine ceramic stones, and I added the CBN for a kit that can maintain high zoot steels including CPM-Cruwear, CPM-M4, REX45, K390. By the time you get to steels like K390, you really need diamonds or CBN. I also made a strop from cow hide and oak. One side is suede loaded with green compound, the other is smooth side, no abrasive added.

Back