• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

Family Roots - Metis

Reaction score
Here's an interesting radio doc I heard today, concerning a long held family secret, and upon discovering it, the woman narrating discovers her roots.
There is a connection to canoes here; at one point the narrator takes part in a traditional practice of preparing for a birch bark canoe build. I thought some of you traditional builders might find this an interesting perspective. Enjoy.
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/docproject/...embrace-her-newfound-métis-identity-1.3892495

Odyssey - Please accept my apology if I take this too far off track...

I didn't listen to the piece but read the article instead; I'll try to listen to the entire broadcast when I have the time. Anyway, over the last few years I've had the great good fortune of becoming friends with some folks who are Abenaki. These folks live in VT and are on the forefront of fighting for Native rights and recognition in their traditional homelands. I know that the author felt slighted about being asked if she self-identified with being Metis. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, it's important for them that people do so. There are so many legal obstacles that these Native groups have to hurdle just to be recognized by either their local or federal governments that it's critical that only people who are actually Native, and part of that particular tribe or nation, are recognized as such. From what I've read it appears that the author has been accepted by the Metis which is wonderful for her and her children. I just hope as time goes on she'll be able to find out more of why there may have been some initial resistance to just accepting her based on her word. In the case of my friends, too many times in the past there has been the appearance of progress only to have it taken away again; usually at the hands of someone outside the group or by a non-Native individual who claims they represent the particular group. Either way, it sucks and the tribe has to start the long, tedious recognition process all over again. While they are now formally recognized by the state of VT, there are still lots of battles ahead from them in regard to the desecration of burial sites, repatriation of bones, etc. For that reason it's vital that they have true Native/tribal people as their only members. While someone like me is welcomed into the group as a friend, that's as far as it will go; and that, in my opinion, is as it should be.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Hi snapper, thanks for your thoughtful and insightful response. No apology necessary.
Like I said in my introduction I was hoping builders here might find the traditional teachings applied to natural materials interesting, and that's all. ie "Listening to the cedar talk" as you split it, cedar rib splitting vs sawing, the birchbark (anthropomorphic) fabric and it's practical use etc. In other words, the same artisan skills and knowledge understood and presented differently by different cultures.
I wasn't intending to open up any dialogue, much less debate, about the more contentious issues the author deals with. I don't in fact share some of her points of view and conclusions she has come to, as you've alluded to, but was interested nevertheless to "go along for the ride" in her doc. Although I found her "search for identity" very interesting, I wasn't intending it to be the main message here on a canoe build/tripping site. I can be so myopic and naive sometimes.
We're "on the same page" snapper entirely. No problems here.

Odyssey - Thanks for understanding and your kind words. I appreciate what you bring to this site so thanks for the original post. Now I need to listen to the broadcast so I can hear & learn more about traditional building techniques and skills.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back