• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Equipment T & E

Reaction score
Do you test and evaluate equipment prior to use in the field ?

I try to research equipment prior to purchasing and then test and evaluate the equipment myself prior to taking it into the field. Testing allows me to become familiar with the function and use and identify potential problems. During the evaluation process I often make modifications to correct problems and adapt the equipment for efficient carry and use. I place importance on the equipment that is most critical to the success, comfort and enjoyment of the trip.

I find written product reviews somewhat helpful but personal preferences and requirements vary so much that I place little confidence in most.

Tent rain test :

Attachments

• DSCN0729.JPG
    DSCN0729.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0763.JPG
    DSCN0763.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0766.JPG
    DSCN0766.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0743.JPG
    DSCN0743.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I should take your lead. I test function (does the stove still work?) before the first trip of the year, but other than that, I'm content to wing it and adjust on the fly. That said, our longest trip to date has been 10 days. For longer trips, especially those where you can"t walk out, I'd adopt a different protocol.

Where I live (Montana) we commonly get some pretty severe afternoon thunderstorms, and I can get some high winds in my back yard. With an oncoming storm, I've set up several of my tents to evaluate how they hold up, and whether they're adequate for my use. It's pretty enlightening. I can watch them from inside the house through my glass door instead of hunkered down hoping it won't rip apart 500 miles out in the boonies.

Do you test and evaluate equipment prior to use in the field ?

I try to research equipment prior to purchasing and then test and evaluate the equipment myself prior to taking it into the field. Testing allows me to become familiar with the function and use and identify potential problems. During the evaluation process I often make modifications to correct problems and adapt the equipment for efficient carry and use. I place importance on the equipment that is most critical to the success, comfort and enjoyment of the trip.
I try to at least set up / use the item once, although it's usually not a stress test like a tent in a storm. In addition to function, I want to figure out how I'm going to pack the item and whether I'm taking along the sack / case it came in or combining it with other items, etc.

I find written product reviews somewhat helpful but personal preferences and requirements vary so much that I place little confidence in most.
The 'net is awash in crappy reviews! Sites like this are a much better source of informed opinion about gear. Reviews can suck for many reasons, but the worst are the "unboxing" reviews which include absolutely no field experience with the item. "I've never actually lit this stove, but it looks nice and shiny. Can't wait to use it. Five stars!" Yeah, thanks.

I just make sure things work and put up a new tent so I can put it up quick no matter what conditions are at the campsite
And review knots I don't use often.
I haven't bought new gear in years but have to check that mice have not vacationed in gear I do have

I will try out a new tarp under the sprinkler, and will sleep test a new quilt in the backyard overnight, but I've had my gear dialed in for a few years and don't do much 'testing' anymore. But I definitely advocate doing it in the yard first, before using something 'in the woods'... better to find out it wasn't seam sealed properly, or has a problem of some sort, before you go.

Back