• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Econfina Creek, FL

Reaction score
Sunday I went canoeing with a friend and two of my kids. We launched at the Econfina at HWY 20 and paddled upstream a bit to Sylvan Spring, then further up to Williford Spring. After playing there for a bit, we went one more bend north, then about faced and headed south of the launch to one of the springs in the Gainer Springs group. All told about 3 miles per my GPS. The kids had a blast, but unfortunately they will never know what these springs looked like when they were blue. They’re all green now. It’s sad really. Avoidable, too, if we but had the will to stop poisoning our environment.

First time loading two boats on the truck. Harder than one, better than driving two trucks.
54816BB4-AAAC-4863-9F7E-5DF709BA8E9C.jpeg

Sylvan
A3134FF9-0A39-40B5-9E85-DCA2D66544D2.jpeg

Williford
5EFC5ABA-1C5B-41D9-BFBC-CF7787CD9E03.jpeg

Gainer
2401F16B-4C5F-4D97-BF21-492A66F20D23.jpeg

On the way back up to the launch
8D127FE7-DC9F-479E-85AB-A9051F151372.jpeg

The track
FA22316E-3A7C-4ABD-801B-26B80AFC9708.png

Note that this area was hammered by Hurricane Michael. The land looks nothing like the aerial, it’s flattened and clear-cut as part of the recovery effort. Most is planted in pines again but it’ll take decades to look right.

Last edited:
Jealous of the creek, the weather, the water, the truck. Can't wait to get down to Tallahassee. But it probably won't be until late May. Heat time.

Coincidentally enough, the wife and I ran down to PC back in late February to help the mother in law pack up and bring her home after spending a couple of months down there. We were only there for a couple of days, but happened to catch a show on tv one day, "Chasin' the Sun" which is hosted by a local fishing guide and the particular episode I watched, he was taking his family out for an afternoon paddle on the Econfina Creek. I've never brought a canoe with me before, but after seeing that episode, I told the wife that I would bring the Phoenix down next time and hit that creek. I know there are a lot of nice Spring fed rivers/creeks around there, I am just going to have to seek them out. In the past, we have brought kayaks down with the kids and paddled the back bays and over to Shell Island and even out in the Gulf. Thanks for sharing the report.

Mike

Coincidentally enough, the wife and I ran down to PC back in late February to help the mother in law pack up and bring her home after spending a couple of months down there. We were only there for a couple of days, but happened to catch a show on tv one day, "Chasin' the Sun" which is hosted by a local fishing guide and the particular episode I watched, he was taking his family out for an afternoon paddle on the Econfina Creek. I've never brought a canoe with me before, but after seeing that episode, I told the wife that I would bring the Phoenix down next time and hit that creek. I know there are a lot of nice Spring fed rivers/creeks around there, I am just going to have to seek them out. In the past, we have brought kayaks down with the kids and paddled the back bays and over to Shell Island and even out in the Gulf. Thanks for sharing the report.

Mike
Do it! Lots of paddling opportunities down here!

Back