• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Duluth style packs

I love my Duluth packs!

Pseudonym, I'd like to offer a belated welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules!

That's an extremely informative second post with interesting pictures. Thanks so much. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Thanks to you both, Robin and Glenn! I'm glad to be apart of the forum and have already learned a lot in perusing its pages.

I think the word "ears" is being used in two different ways re Duluth Packs.

Perhaps what Patrick is calling compression straps are not typically called ears. And, no, they aren't meant to hang outside the pack. They are meant to be lashed together, if necessary, to keep stuff from falling out of the pack when you have other items, like a tent, stuffed on top of those compression flaps but under the big "overflap" (not sure of the technical name for that either).

The corners of the buckled down overflap are called "ears" by some people, and you can lift the entire pack out of the canoe using these two ears, functioning like handles, instead of trying to lift by the leather back straps or single top strap (if there is one of those).

The top left and right corners of the overflap in this picture are what some call ears, perhaps because they project sideways out from the body of the pack when it is full:

View attachment 133351
On edit: I should add that if I want to move my Duluth Pack around in camp when it is unbuckled with the overflap open, I often lift the pack by the compression flap-

Glenn’s post above was from earlier in the thread talking about the flaps on the packs and their use. While the intended use may be to securely close the pack, they are also used to more easily lift and load them. Here is an illustration from Cliff Jacobsons “Expedition Canoeing” describing how he uses them.

IMG_6981.jpeg

I like the idea of making your own canvass pack if you have a decent sewing machine and the skill to use it. Sounds like you have both, I’m looking forward to seeing the end result.
I have 4 Duluth Packs, my first was a #3 pack which is sort of big but probably not as big as you have in mind. It’s has a patch or two, some heavy fading and the leather shoulder straps are very soft.
The rest of my DP packs are smaller than the #3, and are older versions of the Wanderer, Rambler and Day Pack, all before waxed canvas was an option. I prefer two smaller packs to one large one, and I prefer the look, feel and ruggedness of leather shoulder straps/closing straps, which I enjoy maintaining so I have never had an issue with mildew. I like the fact that Duluth Packs are made in USA vs made in China Cordura packs.

I sure appreciated your generosity Chip, and I have used that pack on more than a few occasions since you sent it. (actually, it's not a Duluth Pack but a Canadian made Woods Pack).
I'm always amazed at how much you can carry in one of these old packs. This well-used pack is hauling a 7x6 canvas wall tent, a wood
stove, a metal tent frame 'angle kit" (not the poles), all the ropes, ax, pack saw, and a tarp.

View attachment 133335

Robin, could I bother you to lay your #3 flat and measure height and width? Thanks, Art

Robin, could I bother you to lay your #3 flat and measure height and width? Thanks, Art

Hopefully you can read the tape, it’s 39” by 27” and the front is 25”. BTW, don’t anyone call that phone number to ask me if my refrigerator is running, I haven’t lived there for 15 years!📞

603B598F-6421-4D28-A487-162E80E1DCC4.jpeg34EEE87F-AE7E-408D-A857-3D5803EDC261.jpegAE1A0567-6F97-4926-A9E5-CE9240F74828.jpeg

Last edited:
Hopefully you can read the tape, it’s 39” by 27” and the front is 25”. BTW, don’t anyone call that phone number to ask me if my refrigerator is running, I haven’t lived there for 15 years!📞

View attachment 135940View attachment 135941View attachment 135942
Thanks, Robin.

Among other things, I'm a canvas and leather worker. I've priced out materials and am confident that I could produce a high quality version of this in either 15oz or 18oz canvas, latigo leather and stainless steel roller buckles for a much more reasonable price. Going to make a sample over the next week or two.

Thanks, Robin.

Among other things, I'm a canvas and leather worker. I've priced out materials and am confident that I could produce a high quality version of this in either 15oz or 18oz canvas, latigo leather and stainless steel roller buckles for a much more reasonable price. Going to make a sample over the next week or two.
I have a leather and canvas day pack from Jane Barron at Alder Stream Canvas works in Kingfield ME but even her Minnesota Pack is a bit small in person. Her packbasket liners are excellent. I have the Allagash Pack for a working day pack; it keeps wet stuff away from my lunch.

Just to give you inspiration Art.

I have a leather and canvas day pack from Jane Barron at Alder Stream Canvas works in Kingfield ME but even her Minnesota Pack is a bit small in person. Her packbasket liners are excellent. I have the Allagash Pack for a working day pack; it keeps wet stuff away from my lunch.

Just to give you inspiration Art.
I have her North Woods pack. Love the size. She makes really nice packs but would never want to copy her work out of respect for the business that she has built.

OK, finally got around to making a #3. I used 15 ounce cotton duck canvas (the same as Duluth), stainless steel roller buckles, copper rivets and high quality 8-9 ounce latigo leather. Oh, yeah, and size 138 nylon thread. All seams are fully hemmed, which is an upgrade over Duluth and Frost River, and the side seams are double stitched.

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg
Also of note is that the canvas is pre-washed. Duck canvas will shrink 15 percent on average if it gets saturated and the color will bleed. I thought it best to get that out of the way before making the pack.

I did not include what Duluth calls a map pocket. I am sure that some folks really like this pocket but I couldn't imagine ever using -- so I eliminated it.

The Duluth version of this bag sells for $375, and the sexed up Frost River version sells for $400. I figure I can sell my bag, which is truly of equal or better quality, for $250 and make a reasonable/responsible profit. So, for those here who have expressed wonder about the prices of those two brands, I would say you are spot on.

I'll be taking this with me on a 10-day tour of Downeast Maine lakes and rivers in two weeks. I'll post photos of the pack in action after that.

Last edited:
Looks great, neat sewing lines and that leather looks great now and will really shine after it ages.

Yes. For 40 years. I have used them on canoe trips, raft trips and drift boat trips. I have used them on airplanes and for day tripping.

I've got a couple of newer packs (a RBW Tripper and a Granite Gear Traditional 3.5 pack - both of which I got used off FB Marketplace), but many times I go back to the Granite Gear Portage Pack (and the accompanying Front Pack and Mesh Bag that both clip on) I've had since the late 80s for trips where I am packing less gear/clothing. I really like the canvas/leather Duluth and Frost River packs, but have never been able to lay out the money for them.

Attachments

• DSC00619.JPG
    DSC00619.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00622.JPG
    DSC00622.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Granite Gear Mesh Bag.jpg
    Granite Gear Mesh Bag.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Granite Gear Portage Pack.png
    Granite Gear Portage Pack.png
    277.1 KB · Views: 9
Well done. Nice job on the sewing and the leather looks great. Have you packed anything in it yet? In the pics the top flap looks like it might be a bit short for good coverage. Could be a trick of the camera.
Jim

Well done. Nice job on the sewing and the leather looks great. Have you packed anything in it yet? In the pics the top flap looks like it might be a bit short for good coverage. Could be a trick of the camera.
Jim
Top flap is same size as on the Duluth #3. For the photo, I didn't fold it in a way that shows it's full size.

OK, finally got around to making a #3. I used 15 ounce cotton duck canvas (the same as Duluth), stainless steel roller buckles, copper rivets and high quality 8-9 ounce latigo leather. Oh, yeah, and size 138 nylon thread. All seams are fully hemmed, which is an upgrade over Duluth and Frost River, and the side seams are double stitched.

View attachment 136235

View attachment 136236
Also of note is that the canvas is pre-washed. Duck canvas will shrink 15 percent on average if it gets saturated and the color will bleed. I thought it best to get that out of the way before making the pack.

I did not include what Duluth calls a map pocket. I am sure that some folks really like this pocket but I couldn't imagine ever using -- so I eliminated it.

The Duluth version of this bag sells for $375, and the sexed up Frost River version sells for $400. I figure I can sell my bag, which is truly of equal or better quality, for $250 and make a reasonable/responsible profit. So, for those here who have expressed wonder about the prices of those two brands, I would say you are spot on.

I'll be taking this with me on a 10-day tour of Downeast Maine lakes and rivers in two weeks. I'll post photos of the pack in action after that.
Wow,$375. I bought my Duluth Pack #321 in the late 90's for around $95. The #321 is the same as a #3 but it is 18oz canvas with a double bottom, and it has 1" straps instead of 3/4" straps. If I remember right, it was about a $15 upcharge over the #3

View attachment 136235

View attachment 136236

Beautiful job, Art.

Back