• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Domain Name Transfer Begins Friday 10/1, Site May Go Offline

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am initiating the last part of the migration process—transferring our domain name ("CanoeTripping.net") from one registrar (Siteground) to another (Namesilo)—on Friday, October 1, before our Siteground account expires on October 10. I don't fully understand the process technicalities and will need help from our webmaster, Ken Payne, but of course the weekend is coming up.

I don't know how long this process will take or whether the site will go offline for a short time while the name servers are being replaced and redirected. Maybe it won't. But if the site does go offline, it shouldn't be for long, so keep checking back.

This process will apparently take 5-7 days behind the scenes and our webmaster, Ken Payne, does not think the site will have to be taken offline. Hope that's true, but I take all technological and "scientific" opinions with a large grain of skeptical salt.

The domain name transfer has been completed to the new registrar, Namesilo, and there was no down time.

This transfer was the last piece of the overall migration-transition process. And, in a way, it was the most mysterious. Neither I nor any of the past administrators could definitively figure out who owned the name "canoetripping.net", because domain name owners are anonymous, or even what company was the actual registrar. Without knowing those things, the name could not be transferred and the site would have gone dark on October 10, for lack of an authorized name, when our Siteground web hosting account expired on that date.

When I finally got legal authority over the Siteground account, the answer was hiding in plain sight. Deep in a Siteground domain name profile, Robin was listed as the owner of the "canoetripping.net" name as of 2012 under a long obsolete email address. That's why no one could ever contact the owner to request a transfer of ownership.

So, I just put my name and email address in the profile and . . . bingo! . . . I was the new owner of the "canoetripping.net" name and could approve a transfer of it out of Siteground to myself at Namesilo, which is less expensive. (To me, everything about Siteground was a financial ripoff.) We made it under the October 10 wire by three days. I was busy but confident, so I didn't publicize this little behind-the-scenes drama.

The domain name registrar fee is now paid up at Namesilo through July 2023, and is on automatic annual renewal after that under my credit card.

Back