• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Dog friendly solo river boats in a post-Royalex world.

Reaction score
I want/need a moving water capable solo canoe. I've also got a 60 lb. dog that travels with me everywhere, mostly on flat water. I'd like to get a new boat with the durability, handling, and stability to fit this niche. The dog rides behind me now, because of his size and the fact that as packs lighten, the weight is needed back. Thanks for your help.

DSCN0217 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I've paddled on rivers with a dog for many years and overall many solos work just fine if they are big enough to handle the load. In my case the dog is always right in front of me. I'd be curious to know how much total weight you need to carry, whether you plan to paddle whitewater, whether you kneel or sit, and how much emphasis you put on flatwater efficiency for your river boat. The Northstar Phoenix in IXP layup is a fine river boat that's stable and handles great. I like the sliding seats in my Swift Osprey and Shearwater for trimming the boat with a dog and both are great moving water boats and are offered in expedition Kevlar...the Osprey is on the smaller side and it's sporty and the Shearwater is on the big side so super roomy and comfy...but maybe not as well suited to whitewater as a Phoenix but the Swifts are better on flatwater or paddling upstream.

i also prefer the sliding seat. Early in the trip the boy can ride up front, but as my packs lighten, he must be in back. I guess I carry about 350-400 lbs maximum, two packs, hand loads. My Encounter is a pleasure to drive fully loaded, but the prism performs better the last week. Stability is important for fishing, or when a caribou decides to cross the water in front of us. With him in the back and lighter packs, I can handle moderate wind with the sliding seat. I guess the slider is a necessity.

My heeler is probably not as laid back as your hound. :)

Last edited:
If you are looking for something in T Formex ( which is similar in properties to RX with the same sort of weight.. its not poly) the Esquif Prospector 15 would be a candidate. However I don't k now where you are so they may be hard to find.

I paddled the Current ( moving ) with P Blanc and his dog duo.. The ME is a good boat on the river and quite adequate speed on the flats. Its the old John Berry Mad River ME design Works well solo http://www.millbrookboats.com/tandem.htm Millbrook boats are all tough composites.

I don't know where you are located, but there is a Bell Rockstar in royalex for sale on Craigslist for $950.00 in the Niagara Falls region of New York. I have a Phoenix in the new IXP layup and love it. A little tender initially, particularly if you aren't kneeling, but great secondary stability......my 68# "puppy" fits, but if he continues to grow I may be in the market for a bigger boat!

Mike

I don't know where you are located, but there is a Bell Rockstar in royalex for sale on Craigslist for $950.00 in the Niagara Falls region of New York.

Good Lord a freaking RockStar, at a decent price. That one won’t last long.

I really (reallyreallly) wish folks looking for boats or gear would include their location in their User Profile.

I, and other folks here, search Craigslist or Kijiji for our own unicorns, and it would be nice to clue folks in to local deals.

Screw the avatar, where you live would be far more helpful.

Last edited:
One boat you might consider is the Swift Shearwater. I had one years ago and liked (loved) it enough to get another. It's a much better moving water boat than the rocker specs suggest. When empty you can spin it within its own length and even with a load it always turns freely. It has a lot of stability...more than a Phoenex and more than a Hemlock SRT and in my experience it cruises more efficiently too...I'm happy to take my Shearwater on long upstream paddles. For serious moving water the Phoenix and SRT will ultimately have more maneuverability but if you're not doing whitewater the Shearwater may be a good fit for your needs. While it's not as fast as your Prism I would be willing to bet that you might even take a Shearwater on some of your flatwater trips. 400 pounds is pushing it but if you can get your load under 350 the boat will be happy. I haven't done the caribou test but it works fine when deer jump in the water right in front of us. If you're anywhere near SW Michigan you're welcome to try mine.

Esquif Pocket Canyon is a big (very big) solo, my occasional paddling partner uses one, he's 240lbs and brings a 50lb dog with him plus gear for a couple of weeks. Used available in Royalex, new in T-Formex (basically the same thing with a different name).

Black_Fly do you want to only consider plastics for a solo dog boat or will composites also be something to think about?

I just got a rescue dog.. 46 lb labheeler mix.. Nothing about his actions is Lab like and we will see to the canoe thing when we get soft water. Meanwhile I will introduce him to the canoe moving down a snowy incline....Animals he sees could be a challenge.. So far he is good at heeling squirrels and raccoons

Back