• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Dog care

G

I'm heading into the Boundary Waters on Sept. 12 for a 10-day solo trip around Lac La Croix. The person who usually looks after my dog has pooped out due to calendar conflicts and I'm having trouble finding in-home care. I'd bring him with but he has respiratory issues and I'm not sure he could handle the longer portages. I'm not looking for help here; rather, I'd like some feedback on what folks consider a reasonable amount to spend for this service.

I'm looking at $20-25/day which, along with the other direct costs (permit, bunkhouse, shuttle, gas) would run the cost up to somewhere near $600. That figure makes me gag, but I wonder if others think it seems reasonable.

I don't have any knowledge about prices but if you're talking about someone coming into your home while your gone, someone new, that would give me the willies.
Of course I don't know your dog but is there no way where you could set a slower pace? Could the vet give you anything?
My dog and I are fast approaching the same problem, she is so hurting in her rear end that it's getting harder and harder to be confined in the canoe.
Have you considered boarding at a good kennel?

Best Wishes, Rob

In home care here is $15 for one dog one visit and $ 13 for each subsequent visit. The rates of course could vary wildly between areas. We don't have many people around here that do or need dog card in a twenty mile radius so the rates are high because of distance.

Our dog care giver gives the dog half an hour of play. I suppose rates could vary depending on time spent with the dog.

Our dog is a runner so she "requires" 3 visits a day if we are not home.. You can see how that gets expensive. The dog sitter also runs a property management service and is insured and bonded and has references. Once you find a good dog sitter you will be comfortable.

What I'm wondering about is whether $600 for a solo trip - exclusive of food and gear - seems reasonable.

Guess that depends on your income... I've spent that much before, if that's what you're really asking... $350 in airfare to get to NY, gas to/from the Adirondacks in a borrowed truck, $200-300 to rent a canoe for 4-5 days, outfitter shuttle if not a loop trip, food, out of state fishing license, dog and cat boarding for 3 weeks back home at $25 a day, parking at the airport for $7 a day... it adds up quick... quickly added in my head, that's about $1500 right there.

There was a time when that was very affordable... now, not so much.

What I'm wondering about is whether $600 for a solo trip - exclusive of food and gear - seems reasonable.

That's a pretty subjective dilemma that I doubt anyone else can answer. Its sixty dollars a day extra. I think there might be other issues here..and the money is not the root. I think I sense a bit of remorse about the prospect of leaving your dog. You have been together for a while and I think you would be concerned nevertheless if the dog weren't with you.

Maybe altering your trip so its not so hard on your dog?

Gavia, I don't know if you're up for this but during all my dog's surgeries the vet let me be there and slipping that airway in was never any problem. You might ask the vet's opinion if he/she thought it was a practical procedure for you to perform in the field if needed. A really complete understanding of just how the airway might close off and under what conditions this could happen would be very helpful to you.

However this plays out, you have my admiration for your loving care of your dog.

Best Wishes,

Rob and Rose

I think I just dropped about $600 on my solo trip to LaVerendrye, Quebec for 8 days. I think it was about1400 miles driving, $350 in gas I would guess, permits and fishing license about $225, some beer here and there and of course I stopped at about every Poutine shack along the way:rolleyes:

We left our dogs in a kennel once, one barked the whole time, we came back his voice was hoarse. We felt bad but the trip was to help one of our kids and it had to be.
Never again, we have no one we could ask to take a dog and feel comfortable with, so we either take them with us or take seperate trips.

I've been debating whether or not to say this, but please don't take it the wrong way... I mean it in good faith.

Does the dog like to go? If he/she does, then maybe you should just risk it, or plan a bit easier route and go slow with him/her. If I were the dog, I'd rather die doing something fun than sitting home with a stranger.

That being said we don't take our dogs. One is a princess and thinks she likes camping but she sucks at it, the other is just too young and wild... we are lucky enough to have a 'reliable' family member stay at our house when we are out of town. It isn't for the dogs though, it is for our own sanity. If it were up to the dogs they would go, whether they were healthy or not. I feel someday in the future we will lose our luxury of a house sitter and have to take the dogs with us.

We do take them on special 'dog trips' though (only one at a time though). Maybe you need to plan a special 10 day dog canoe trip.

Last edited:
A 10 day solo trip in that area in the Fall is priceless. If you can swing the cost, you should be packed up by dinner tomorrow. I travel to ADK and BWCA for "solo" trips with my dog a couple times a year. When I hear how much people spend at Disney world, OBX (that's were my wife goes when I'm tripping), and cruises, I figure I'm getting away cheap. I agree about not subjecting your dog to undue stress. Dogs will give a 100% to the end at their own expense. Its up to us to determine when we are building our dog's character or causing them undue suffering. Yeah, he'll trash talk you while you're gone, but as you know, they have a short memory and he'll be just plain happy when you come home. I hope you make the trip and post a trip report. Cheers, Barry

Just speaking from my own perspective. My Golden is 12 and so far in good health but I do worry when we leave her home (even with relatives and a cousin dog she loves) while we take canoe trips. She is not particularly fond of canoeing, but loves to swim. I suppose its guilt at possibly not being with her at the end even though she is with people who love her.

Back