• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Does anyone know what these peg/pin-looking things are?

Reaction score
I'm gearing up to restore my old-ish Lincoln Hidden Pond, and I've encountered something I haven't seen on other canoes before (I have very limited experience working on canoes, so maybe I'm just naive). I don't know what these metal bits that are inserted into the gunwale are, which seems important if I'd like to restore the canoe. Any info or advice would be much appreciated! Happy trails.

canoe pegs.jpg

Pop rivets; available in different lengths, diameters and colors. Most box stores carry them. Usually sold as a kit with a small assortment of rivets and the tool for installing them.
Thank you! That's really helpful.

To remove them you will need to drill them out. An oversized bit to remove the outside part, then just push the shank through. That’s the only way I know of.
Jim

Sometimes you can just drill the rivet head off with a drill bit a little narrower than the rivet head itself and push the shank through as Boatman53 suggests. If so, you are lucky as that is the easiest way. But some times the shank is so tightly fit you can't pound it through even with a punch and hammer.

In that event you are better off drilling out the shank using a drill bit of slightly less diameter than the shank itself. If that becomes necessary, do that before you drill the rivet head off as the hole in the center of the head will serve as a drill guide to keep your bit centered as you drill out the shank.

Back