Digital Storage

With Winter refusing to release it's grip and being unable to work on my boats, I have had to find other ways to use up all my spare time. For this, I have been working on editing my photo's from past trips and in the process, learning the new software, Lightroom 5.

I had a hard drive crash in 2009 and lost all those photo's, or so I thought. Since then, I have an external hard drive that I back up everything on and keep some photo's on PhotoBucket as well, so I can post them on the various forums I frequent, but I have no intention of loading them all there. I have read where others have lost thousands of photo's when a site like PhotoBucket went under, so I won't risk that. Hard drives are not designed to last forever, otherwise they couldn't sell any more of them.

Yesterday, on the odd chance, I checked an old SD card and lo and behold, I found it still contained 90% of my photo's from 2009. I have since loaded them on my computer and have locked that card and will not use it again. SD cards are inexpensive enough now that I can just keep them instead of deleting as I go and have that as a third back up. I'm still looking for my original SD card, the meager 512kb card from when I bought my first digital camera to see what it might still hold.

I know some of you here have hordes of photo's so how do you store them and do you have multiple levels of back up to keep them secure?

Karin

I use USB sticks. Dedicated for storage only. Had a computer crash last year, lost some stuff, but I'm usually running two or three computers with everything duplicated on them.

I share a computer with a non-techie wife. We have an 80 gig external drive just for photo backups, I keep most of them in albums on Facebook, and most of them are also on CD-DVDs when I've backed up the home computer... so, 3 ways.

G

External drives mess up too. We use 3 of them at this house.

Some I know keep their several at different locations.

For what it's worth, I saw this company profiled on CNBC last week. It is geared towards phone pictures, but looks pretty interesting. A small monthly fee and you send your pictures from your phone. They put them in an album...the pictures are pages in a book format, but the edge is perforated to allow for easy removal.
The loop-hole they found is in the binding. Evidently the binding of the book is flexible as in a magazine and allows the shipping to be minimal. Hard book bindings fall into a different category and are expensive to ship. The story was really quite interesting. Here is the link if interested.... http://groovebook.com/
All that said I currently back up pictures on external hard drive and a CD.

That is interesting Shiff. Perhaps they will eventually offer it to those of us who don't have phones. I do have the option to print my own photo's which I do of my canoe projects. I hadn't thought of burning CD's so I might have to look into that as well, and I am considering a second external drive for just photo's. The more redundancy the better.

I have an Apple Airport Extreme 2TB and we use that to back up. It works beautifully with our other Apple products. We also have a few external HDs that we had before the Apple AE and I have extra back-ups on those of pictures and music (I have amassed 6000 plus songs)

I put pictures up on imgur.com when I want to share on the forum, but I have no confusion that those pictures I upload to the site, or even this site, are no longer my sole possession and can be gone from there in a heartbeat or republished somewhere else without my permission.