• Happy National Shrimp Day! 🦐🍤

Digging Out

Reaction score
I have an old trenching tool in my car for emergencies, but it's fairly heavy for backpack use. What do winter hikers, x-c skiers and snowshoers carry? I can't imagine a situation where I'd need it outside of getting a vehicle unstuck - no avalanche risk. I suppose an injury could necessitate a snow cave.

If I'm snowshoeing I have my "shovels" on my feet. If I'm dragging a toboggan I have a light collapsable aluminum shaft/ plastic scoop shovel that I can bring to dig out a tent floor or build a quinzhee.

For the vehicle I carry a small light snow shovel and a pair of traction aids. And a car blanket. A bottle of water too, only because I carry one of those most days anyway. When I used to nordic ski I had a fanny pack on me of related gear (waxes etc) that included spare ski tips (for repairs) and snack bars. It was and is a big fanny pack. I still have it. The ski tips could easily be used to shovel if need be. Never had any emergencies. Snow shoes make great (powder) snow shovels. I have used them for digging a quick and snug spot out of the wind for lunch breaks. I and we often had ski poles also. Aside from their obvious use they also made great lunch break back rests, supports for extra layers strung out for wind breaks etc.
These days we are not so adventurous and rarely break our own trails, but a day pack with food, drink, and an additional layer each always makes the trip.

Last edited:
I have a lightweight collapsible shovel that I keep in my truck. It also travels with me on overnight trips; I don't bother with it for day adventures. It's a true collapsible avalanche shovel that I purchased on sale. I really don't travel anywhere that avalanches might be an issue but its compactness, light weight & sale price made it worthwhile to me. I also have other items that travel with me during the winter months in my truck (i.e. blankets, extra water, etc.) but that gets away from the original question so I'll leave it at that.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

An aluminum shovel is standard equipment. Good for building furniture in camp, building shelters and searching after an avalanche. Maybe the most important function of a shovel, is to dig a pite and examine the snow layers before starting a trip to evaluate avalanche risk. It is much like digging a soil pit.

I've never considered carrying anything of the sort on my person for the midwest winter trekking I do. Can't think of any good reason to do so.

Alan

Back