• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Digestive changes while on the trail

No doubt you could do all of the above but dehydrated yogurt beats a "sports bar" . It's really good. We are going on a two week trip and I totally forgot how good it was. I was going to buy 24 of the evil Clif bar things..but with a new strawberry crop and the presence of vanilla yogurt , why?

What a thoroughly bizarre thread, and I mean thoroughly . . . everything from preparing for the alimentary canal, to traversing the entire alimentary canal and tributary organs, to exiting (accurately) the alimentary canal, to being daintily bagged thereafter and sprinkled with "vomit, blood, urine" pixie dust.

Good job, fellow nature lovers!

Good googly moogly! How did i miss this thread? I have several absolutely horrifying yet laughable stories about "digestive changes" on canoe trips, but i will have to reserve the telling for actual campfire stories, as some of them are quite graphic. However, I can relate one from my first trip with our Outers Club. Bare with me, it's a little long. Think it was 1990, I signed up for my first 14 day trip, not really knowing what I was getting into. The fellow who ran the club then was a very frugal Dutchman. In fact, "cheapskate" comes to mind as a descriptor. By day two, I realized his prime mission was to starve us to death. I calculated that we were eating about 700 calories a day, while expending several thousand. Each morning, my belt buckle would reach a new hole, until by day 13, I had cut two new holes.

The most anticipated culinary delight was the triple cold smoked bacon that we still use today. However, back then, the slab that we consume in one morning now would be cut into three pieces and made to last three days. The kids and staff would congregate around the bacon bowl in the morning like sled dogs at the end of the Iditarod, growling at each other and gnashing our teeth, waiting for our measly one tiny piece of burnt offerings.

Day 13 was a rest day, and when I got up in the morning, the bacon bowl was still full. I asked the kid supervising the fire why there was so much bacon left, and only got a mumbled reply, so I proceeded to tuck in. Just as I was finishing piece number 5, the head cook came back and shrieked at me "don't eat that bacon". It had been a very hot trip and the bacon had been with us for 13 days, apparently it had been all covered in green mould and other goodies. Naturally I froze, with the half bitten number five piece still in my mouth, thought about it for a minute, and then finished it off. I was hungry.

Our fearless leader, the Dutchman, was known for his eating capabilities. No-one invited him for a meal, he was like a snake, he would eat incredible quantities of your food, and then digest for a month, eating very little of his own food, and then return to your house for another gut busting meal. On this morning, he couldn't pass up the bacon, and proceeded to eat the entire pot. No one said a thing.

At around 11:00 PM that night, as I lay in the staff tent contemplating my return to civilization, I noticed that my stomach was making some very odd noises. Five minutes later it was swelled up like an inner tube on a sidewalk in a heatwave. Then a variety of noxious gasses began to vacate my body with the frequency of a cosmic whoopee cushion. Finally, I decided it was no longer safe to pass the gas, and I "ran for the bushes".

To make a long story short, it was an excruciating night, and I was struck by "digestive changes" around 20 times in five hours. The kids in the boys tent heard the mayhem, and at one point, one saintly pre-pubescent martyr ventured out and gave me his last roll of toilet paper. In my haste to vacate the "back door", I sometimes didn't even make it to the bushes, so there were some white and brown flowers littering the beach. By 5:00 AM, I just hauled out my trusty 17 foot grumman, and layed on the bottom of it, a dried up, dehydrated husk. When the Dutchman came out of the tent, he immediately began yelling around, scolding the kids about the sh*t paper storm on the beach, at which point the little devils squarely blamed it on me. He then turned his tirade on me, and I was forced to crawl out and clean up the mess.

Later that day, on the bus ride home, we all began to smell these horrible farts rolling down the bus. The Dutchman looked most uncomfortable. He was a very private fellow, who would never discuss his bodily functions with anyone. He slowly came down the bus and quietly asked me "Er, did your little……problem……..start with some flatulence?" Try as I might, I couldn't help but laugh, and assured him that it did indeed start with some very bad gas.

We still had a week of school left when we got back, and the Dutchman didn't appear until the final day. When he walked in, I was startled at his appearance. He was a pale shell of his former self, looked like an abused POW. He claimed he had not left the toilet for four days. He blamed it on the kids not washing the pots properly, but I know it was the green bacon. I only had five pieces, he scarfed down around 25. I guess the old snake digestive system didn't work for him that time.

Anyway, I lost 23 pounds on that trip, probably ten the last night.

Mem, I'm glad I started this little bar fight. Your story is the final donnybrook!

Mem, I'm glad I started this little bar fight. Your story is the final donnybrook!

You just never know where a thread topic will wander. And that was a well penned story of What Goes Around….

I think I misunderstood the specifics of Kim’s question:

Wag bag question
Is there a technique to hit the poo powder in the bottom of the bag without a toilet seat and bucket? I am asking because we may be using a short length of PVC pipe with caps on each end to store used WagBags for a kayak trip. We can't carry a five gallon bucket in the kayaks.

Having read that more thoroughly I’m now envisioning holding the wag bag to one’s derriere sans any inner-bag support or container. Beyond being a rather graphic visual that would probably mean one-use wag bags. At least I wouldn’t want to be second in line to use that morning’s hit-or-miss wag bag.

Plus, the whole “holding the bag and wiping” issue would seem to require three hands. I ask a lot of my tripping partners, but that kind of help may be pushing the limits.

A PVC tube with a screw-cap end seems ideal for rear deck kayak storage of used wag bags, and I was initially thinking that same section of PVC tubing might somehow see double duty as a wag bag receptacle if it was wide enough (or had some flanged screw-on wag bag adaptor) and could be made sitting-stable.

But, in a simpler scheme, there must be some separate wag bag “holder” small enough to fit through kayak hatches. That hatch-sized container could hold the unused wag bags and TP supply while underway, and serve as a hand-free wag bag support holder in camp use.

I’m thinking something like an empty plastic 28oz coffee container. I’m partial to Folger’s Black Silk myself, but those large coffee jugs are all much the same size and shape.

Those plastic containers have a 6” opening for easy aim and would hold at least the bottom part of a wag bag inner-liner open, plus they have a convenient carry handle grip and a decent snap-on lid to keep the flies out for multi-person wag bag purposes.

Being able to cleanly use a wag bag for more than one person, or more than one squat if solo, would be beneficial and cost efficient. As is the ability to seal the top of the in-use wag bag holder/container. I’m a regularity morning two-fer (pre and post coffee in the morning does me for the day) and I’d prefer a flyless crapper on the after breakfast go round or when sharing wag bags with companions.

We have used wag bags for a party of 6 and found them generously accommodating. The solo/companion/group size of the morning’s bulbously-filled Zip-lock outer bag may dictate the dimensions of the PVC tubing storage receptacle.

AHA

http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recr...lets-kayak.php

Big coffee filter.. aim, deposit and roll. Then insert into storage unit of choice.

I'm pretty sure I will NEVER be drinking Folgers Black Silk myself after reading of an associated use of coffee and coffee accessories.

Tea please.. or VIA.

Edit.. we get a paper once a week.. No need to buy coffee ads.. Recycling begins at home. The Sunday Target ad would be perfect. Big enough for a target and quite rollable.

Last edited:
Back