• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Day Trip on Crescent Lake, Tenny River and Panther Pond, ME with Al Gale (Alsg)

Thanks for another thoroughly enjoyable video! It's surely a unique experience to have the opportunity to paddle the same build with a like minded paddler. I appreciate your effort to let us accompany you. And what a splendid day you had for your paddle!

It's nice that two forum members can finally paddle together -- in identical hulls and on a third member's home lake, no less. Dcloots, your videos are very good and, although I usually don't pay much attention to build threads, not being a builder or restorer, I did go back and watch most of your build videos.

I'm very curious as to what the specs are for the Wabnaki, as it is informative to know how big a canoe is that I'm watching in videos. Could one of you give or link to the full specs.

It's nice that two forum members can finally paddle together -- in identical hulls and on a third member's home lake, no less. Dcloots, your videos are very good and, although I usually don't pay much attention to build threads, not being a builder or restorer, I did go back and watch most of your build videos.

I'm very curious as to what the specs are for the Wabnaki, as it is informative to know how big a canoe is that I'm watching in videos. Could one of you give or link to the full specs.

Glenn, you won't find the specs or design on line; the plans are in the back of Mr. Gilpatrick's book and nowhere else to the best of my knowledge.

But I can tell you from my own measurements and the specs that the Wabnaki is 16' long, 35.25 wide (outwale to outwale when built with spec 3/4" x 3/4" inwales/outwales) and 12 & 7/8" deep amidship to the tip top of the gunnels. It's a symmetrical designand it's got some rocker, about 1.5" or perhaps 2" front and back (I've never measured the rocker) The bottom appears has a very slightly arch or radius to it.

Last edited:
Glenn, you won't find the specs or design on line; the plans are in the back of Mr. Gilpatrick's book and nowhere else to the best of my knowledge.

But I can tell you from my own measurements and the specs that the Wabnaki is 16' long, 35.25 wide (outwale to outwale when built with spec 3/4" x 3/4" inwales/outwales) and 12 & 7/8" deep amidship to the tip top of the gunnels. It's a symmetrical designand it's got some rocker, about 1.5" or perhaps 2" front and back (I've never measured the rocker) The bottom appears has a very slightly arch or radius to it.

Thanks, Al. I noticed you looked quite stable while sitting even over a boat wake. The width helps that. I thought the hull might be less than 16', but those very wide angle GoPro type cameras distort dimensions and distances.

Thanks, Al. I noticed you looked quite stable while sitting even over a boat wake. The width helps that. I thought the hull might be less than 16', but those very wide angle GoPro type cameras distort dimensions and distances.

I forgot to mention it's got some tumblehome, too. It's definitely a stable design. Even more so with a tripping load (greater than the paddler, who is quite a load himself).

That is just pure AWESOME !
I've said it before ! You do a great job with your videos Dave !

The excitement of spending time with another builder on the water is where it's at. Icing on the cake is when you both built the same design.

I would have loved to share the water with you guys !

OK ! Did you test each others canoes out ?

Congratulations to Both of you for the great builds ! Two Thumbs up !

Jim

We got a little pressed for time at the end, Jim, so we didn't do the canoe switcheroo.

Another time !

I did that with another paddler in Minnesota, who had built the same 38 Spl. I could tell little difference, as they were both set up about the same ! difference.

When I first met Alan Gage, I brought up two canoes, as Alan did. We had a blast paddling different canoes ! Loved his Barracuda !

Jim

Last edited:
My apologies for being absent from the thread. Things naturally became extremely busy again on the homefront. My two daughters just learned today, one week prior to heading off to their colleges, that the Fall semester will be remote online learning only. So our mad dash to tie all loose ends was all for nothing. I suppose the precautionary stance by college institutions is for the best, at least for now.

Appreciate the supportive comments. Al and I had a great day on the water together with great conversation. Not bad for two strangers meeting for the first time. We most likely had mentioned all of you at least once during our conversations and may I say in a favorable manner. Glenn, just as Al had responded, the Wabnakis are extremely stable canoes and seaworthy which is a testament to the design. The beam, at 34" outwale to outwale, suprisingly does not make this a slow boat at all. Tracking is decent, except of course when wind becomes and issue, but that is with any canoe I would imagine. At 16' I honestly feel as though the canoe has a much smaller feel to it when paddling. Extremely pleased with the result as is Al per our conversation of the overall Wabnaki design.

I am humbled by the comments regarding the videos. When I started all of this it was all new to me so I have continually tried to improve with the video efforts. Happy to hear that it works for all of you and that you are enjoying them. I must admit that I was uncertain of whether or not a posted video link would serve well on this forum as the traditional trip report method has been photos and a typed trip report which we have all done in the past. I enjoy that method as well, but there is something special about capturing a trip with video and I find that appealing. Again, thank you all for watching and enjoying and a huge thank you to Al Gale for a great day on the water!

I have been pretty busy with some final projects here at the new home, it would have been fun to meet up. I enjoyed the video too, nice job.
It was fun to paddle Memaquays “Jacks Special”, which is a stripper version of the Chestnut Chum when we did a trip together.

Missed you My house is on the far shore from
the boat launch
But we were paddling Seboeis!

Sorry we missed you! If we had known which house was yours, we would have TP'd it. On second thought, with the TP shortage, maybe not.

Thanks, again, for the recommendation! For me, it was not only a great opportunity to meet and canoe with dcloots but also a chance to revisit an area from my youth. I didn't get up as far as "the rich kids camp" but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the lake still has excellent water quality and that it is as beautiful as I remember it from the mid-1970s!

I have been pretty busy with some final projects here at the new home, it would have been fun to meet up. I enjoyed the video too, nice job.
It was fun to paddle Memaquays “Jacks Special”, which is a stripper version of the Chestnut Chum when we did a trip together.

Thanks, Robin. Sounds like things are moving right along at your new abode! Your short videos on Instagram with your grandchildren was great to see. Certainly looks like you are finally finding some time to get out and explore a bit. I still need to get up to Canada and do the Marshall Lake Loop one of these days. Meeting up with Al was great. We discussed it would be great someday to have a larger group so maybe that will happen! Additionally, I continued on through the forum and recognized Memaquays post regarding plans for the stripper version of the Chestnut Chum. "Jacks Special". This is very intriguing and something that I would enjoy taking on. Do you still have plans available for this stripper model?

Last edited:
Missed you My house is on the far shore from
the boat launch
But we were paddling Seboeis!

Just paddled Seboeis the week or so before your journey. Busy lake in my opinion. Curious to learn what your thoughts are on the paddling environment?

Back