• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

dans smoked salmon

G

simple. smoke salmon with apple wood or wood of your choosing.
pour jim beam or jack daniles into sauce pan and add lots of brown sugar and boil down which will become thick as it cools. pour syrup on smoked salmon.

good stuff...

But it sounds Tastey !
I had shrimp in a restaurant that was sweet, spicey, and a whiskey flavor. Really good !

Jim

I love smoked meats. I occasionally "stink up the house" when I have a good ol' fry up with smoked kippers (herring) for breakfast. I watched a cooking show from the UK in which they smoked their own freshly caught herring, using a cookie tin over a small wood fire. It looks easy enough to try on a camping trip. Unfortunately my wife doesn't share my affection for all this smokey goodness. She doesn't want me to "stink up the campsite". I wonder if bears love smoked fish as much as I do? Maybe I should confine these kipper experiments to down south here in the safety of the suburbs. Outdoors. Not in the house.
I like the looks of that recipe Dan, thanks for sharing it.

Yummmm, I love smoked salmon, but I don't think I could cook up the booze, I'm frugal with liquor, I like to drink every last drop.

Dans method sounds good but is really cooking with booze. For typical smoking of fish you need to brine it overnight submerged in water and salt and usually some sugar and other seasonings. Then the smoking can begin after it is dried and sets for an hour to develop a pedicle. Smoking requires low temperatures to remove the moisture without cooking the fish. Cold smoking at really low temperatures like less than 120 degrees is the absolutely greatest fish around. There are markets in Seattle that sell 10 different kinds of smoked fish, mostly salmon. I like the electric Big Chief smokers because they never get too hot when unattended. Red alder is the best salmon wood there is, although the fruit woods can be good too.

I thought Dan was just making a reduction of sweetened Jim Beam? Kinda like his own BBQ sauce. As a sauce, the booze has merely added flavour, no alcohol after simmering/boiling.
As far as booze reductions go, my favourite is whiskey steak. Pan fry a steak on med-high until rare, remove it and let it rest. Add Irish whiskey to the pan and simmer, deglazing the pan (scrubbing all the good bits of steak etc to incorporate into the liquid). As it reduces add cream and keep stirring, being careful not to scald it. Pour this through a strainer and use as a cream sauce for the steak. Yum.
I've never tried smoking fish, it sounds good. I think I oughtta move to Seattle.

Back