• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Cynobacterial Algae, Eurasian Milfoil and Other Icky Vegetation Befouling Lakes

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In paddling around the lakes and dammed up rivers in Connecticut, green scummy slime and icky weeds seem to be ever increasing, especially during the high heat and drought conditions recently.

For example, Connecticut's largest natural lake currently has a red light warning about poisonous cyanobacterial algae and other plankton, and my local lake/river has increasingly serious problems with Eurasian milfoil. Minor naiad, curly leaf pondweed and water chestnut are also problems. Added to this vegetative ick, a zoological invader, zebra mussels, are also causing increasing problems.

Chemical treatments, weed-pulling machines, and winter draw-downs to freeze the weeds only seem to be temporary band-aids. I was pleasantly surprised to be in a pond the other day where I could actually peer down to the bottom through clear waters instead of through a green film of murk.

Do you have these kinds of vegetative and zoological water pollutants where you are, and can anything really be done about them?

Blue-green algae - Check
Eurasian milfoil - Check
Zebra mussel - Check

And those are only the ones I'm familiar with. Also, purple loosestrife and phragmites. I'm not very familiar with aquatic invasives but I can't take a walk in the woods of our local state park without being discouraged by the numbers and density of invasive species including but not limited to: Asian bush honeysuckle, autumn olive, garlic mustard, multi-flora rose, and oriental bittersweet. Ignorance is bliss.

I was pleasantly surprised to be in a pond the other day where I could actually peer down to the bottom through clear waters instead of through a green film of murk.

Ironically, clear water might actually be the work of the zebra mussel.

Zebra mussels, along with Eurasian milfoil, are rampant in Lake Champlain where my son goes boating. My granddaughter just recently suffered a nasty slice on her foot when she brushed against a zebra mussel while swimming.

no
no
no

We have milfoil patrols and also people at launch spots during the summer checking for plant fragments. However other lakes have invasives nearby so we keep an eye out and report anything suspicious.. There is funding for invasive control. Every powerboat on Maine Lakes must pay a milfoil fee. I think its $10 a boat.

However as our lake is shallow and getting warmer each year this may not hold out much longer. Usually you can see down 15 feet https://www.lakesofmaine.org/lake-water-clarity.html?m=3696

We were paddling around the mouth of the Songo River where it enters Sebago Lake and found a milfoil control zone.. Basically they throw a tarp over the offending plants and weigh the tarp down.. Takes away the light..and leads hopefully to its demise.

Around these parts , the biggest culprits are ag , golf courses and the need for everyone to have weed free lawns. I was testing out a Magic on a local body of water over the July 4th weekend! I am a displaced mountain boy from Colorado (spoiled high mountain water clarity)and the nastiness in this water gave me the willys!

Around these parts

Oldnewbie, very much appreciate your participation in this thread, but no one will know what your "parts" are unless you put your location in your profile, which will cause it to show up under your avatar in your posts. Just a suggestion I make to all members, as this is a geographical sport.

Around these parts , the biggest culprits are ag , golf courses and the need for everyone to have weed free lawns. I was testing out a Magic on a local body of water over the July 4th weekend! I am a displaced mountain boy from Colorado (spoiled high mountain water clarity)and the nastiness in this water gave me the willys!
We have pretty strict shoreland zoning which discourages lawns.. For the first 200 feet only native vegetation and no trees can be harvested without a permit. I think that helps.. There are very few lawns around on any shorefront property ( typically 2 acre zoning with 300 feet waterfront) So far I have not seen any signs left by lawn care companies! Another benefit.. no Canada Goose crap!

also our Lakes Environmental Association does training for volunteer invasive spotters..

Last edited:
Zebra mussels, along with Eurasian milfoil, are rampant in Lake Champlain where my son goes boating.
Water Chestnut is a big problem in the southern basin of Lake Champlain. It is just an endless surface mat in areas. Good bass habit, but not worth the hassle.
E189BBF2-BB4B-47A5-8625-521706555C36.jpeg

Bob

I got involved with this organization this year: APIPP
I did an online training, downloaded and then reviewed/studied the available materials.
I selected/adopted four ponds that I regularly canoe camp on to survey each year. This year I managed to fully survey two of them (fortunately not finding any invasives). Next year I hope to do all four and maybe a couple more. Brian Greene, who heads up APIPP, is a great resource. He was really helpful in getting me started and providing support.

My wife and I did a quick there-and-back trip in AP just after Labour Day - Achray, Stratton, St. Andrews, St. Francis. The put-in on St. Francis is near the (an) outlet and so the murky water did not immediately raise any flags. About 20 strokes in, though, it became apparent that lake was in some kind of cycle. The water was green and my paddle was disappearing during the deepest part of my strokes. There was no surface scum and no discernible particulate matter. It was just green - olive drab. There were fish rising and a family of loons seemed to be doing well, so - perhaps foolishly - we stayed our 2 nights, filtering and boiling water albeit drinking much less than normal. We reported it on our way out and the Park is now issuing a warning about it. Given its location, I can't see this being caused by human factors.

Also, regarding the fish rising, it had occurred to me as a past aquarium owner, that the fish may be surfacing to take gulps of air making them easy pickings for the loons.

Back