• Happy National American Red Cross Founder's Day (1881)! 🇨🇭🚑🏥

Curtis Vagabond

Reaction score
I don't see the Vagabond listed on the Hemlock website, so I think it's out of production. Can anyone tell me how to contact DY to see if he is able or willing to sell a set of plans. I Like the looks and specs of this boat and think it would make a great build for a day paddler.

the Curtis Vagabond plans were sold to John Renner and its a messy story involving others that I won't relate here ( plus I might not have it right).. The mold is destroyed. DY does not own a computer. The Kestrel is its scion. DY probably will be at the Western PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous and might be able to help you better.
Those two on the site are in good shape and well priced for a smaller paddler

Last edited:
I saw the two on the hemlock page, nice looking boats. I'd like to build one rather than buy one. keeps me out of trouble for the most part and the cash flow outwards is a trickle building one instead of a burst buying one. Thanks for the Info Y.C., It's a shame to have the plans tied up and not being used. The Rendezvous sounds like a good time and a chance to talk to D.Y. would be priceless but my travel budgets in the tank right now.

I contacted DY directly some years ago, after a relay call through Bell (see how long ago?)
He was extremely helpful and entertaining, we talked canoe design for a couple of hours. He custom altered plans for his DY Special for me, and mailed the hand drawn sections to me.
It wouldn't be my place to share the contact info, but I recently cleaned up my workspace and design desk and tossed away his number...it was a land line anyway.

I'm sure you could relay a message to his through one of his many cohorts, or meet him at a paddlefest or two. What's the worst that could happen, he might say no?

I'm sure it's worth a shot. This is one of those boats that when you first first look at it grabs your attention for a closer look. At almost 15' long and narrow, would make a good lightweight boat for day trips. A good candidate for a foam core boat possibly. I've looked at everything I can find for plans and nothing else grabs my Interest.

DY will surely make some events in NY and PA..I see him a couple of times a year.. Mostly in PA and sometimes elsewhere like Mountain Main or Adirondack Canoe Symposium at Paul Smiths.

I do believe if you talk to him he may have plans available for a one off.
I have the larger Nomad and it would suffer a flattening of the floor from foam core. Mine is just kevlar and glass and gel coat. The slightly round bottom gives it a noticeable speed advantage over the similar sized flatter floor Peregrine.

You can actually write to him . He is in the whitepages. PM sent

Back