• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Coping with the heat

Reaction score
Thanks to Mike McCrea I'm able to keep cool around the barbecue during the current heat wave.

OcqZt2Vo3D_LSRoI_0ANKMuwX2dqPYCnYQYOhHloZfIq6tkKInTNAaNIaPxne_uGka_QJSGjIns0yYyPtM4GC09U-DGQxk3FkEq-p97r3SrzgZngwaTbHDnoZEN9ZQ0Z0WSvumNpqnNLLLEgKFUIXHltUT3bXA3a9cpR0dThWgihrD1GM5STXe-_jkvR677wEjVE2fMWsPbU27LU8v56Ih_UlOR1y2g00CSB4FDFRis-uz8esSSOBPUHCJdNb2PYh2RSn1LKJKg0CP3tLnpmpRiMOeS-2-iVLfuu3xvvjg7A5wj4aY79eDxiaqKjVQqn0rvosYdJpo1gBFUghs8gdgr6PQB4GWL8QH426udtruA4VvUTVNbelBlfDP-OyJ5MqqSIu607gZVdimcd1CcPkiHZcLnrwypDth1xDQ6EB13JihCzXUT36VSTjh6a1GjWhU4vfQgVKYlIahPkyLoSdLT4jLmR8nqYuYo8nfC52GaE8aqeqfD__AElqWNPQ0HsLwBi4jngM1DC4fHxp_8mfj5DpJQqR1x2Dn62bymeiwnH4uL1Ir8vzUFrwaBKQytZrBSYXUCduZkFAVYrO57p8kn_6vJO0jx8hdMUqja-VcRj6_AhrpCyTZ9u_IkXcZaK8Ou8y6WtHKVJ-2ZV-Ka-hiwvQpU6qz8=w1010-h757-no

This heat is enervating. It was near 100f Wed and Fri, and will be for the next couple days. With high humidity, and it really is the humidity; 100F in the desert is pleasant compared to this.

The electric company has been having “Energy Saving Days”, with savings for reduced electric consumption between 1pm and 7pm, so no running the shop AC in the afternoon.

FWIW the next bill calculates the $’s saved each day that program is in effect. If I turn off everything except the refrigerator and a few lights and fans the savings is typically between $8 and max $12 a day.

We may have saved more on the next bill, we’ve lost power four or five times in the past few days.

I picked up one of these inexpensive temperature and humidity gauges recently and have been moving it from room to room out of curiosity.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Taylor-5...=111838817&wl11=online&wl12=680497415&veh=sem

House 1[SUP]st[/SUP] floor (on a concrete slab, with the windows and doors closed to retain some cool) – 79F, 78% humidity
House 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] floor – 90F, 78% humidity

The interesting part was the shop (concrete slab floor, buttoned up tight). 76F, 70% humidity. The shop stays cool because of the still cold foundation concrete floor and the (unchecked) humidity is nearly constant at 70%. But if I opened the shop windows the humidity would skyrocket.

An hour after turning on the shop’s window AC unit the temperature had only dropped to 70F, but the humidity was down to a comfortable 50%.

It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity.

Nice cozee! Old and Tattered like us.. Me and DH are floating in the lake with the McCrea dual chamber minicell cozy.. When it gets too cold we go sit on the porch..The skeeters seemed to have all died...

Ok we have three minisplits too.. But the dog ( from Georgia yet he ought to be used to this) has plonked himself in front of one.. The one that we are currently using.

Me and DH are floating in the lake with the McCrea dual chamber minicell cozy.

Ok we have three minisplits too.. But the dog ( from Georgia yet he ought to be used to this) has plonked himself in front of one.. The one that we are currently using.

Two people and one minicel cozy, how does that work? That minicel insulation does help retain cold and, I should note, that was designated as DH’s personalized two-holer, so he better be the one enjoying it.

I gotta ask, what is a “minisplit”? I know about “minispliffs”, and may enjoy one soon myself.

I have been greatly amused by recent canine shop visitors. They come in, drain a water bowl and proceed to splay out comically spread eagle, belly down on the cool shop floor. If we lose power again today I may try that myself.

Yes the shop provisions include a water bowl, and some balls and toys. Hugo the big goofie Newfie preferred short scraps of 2x4 from under the bench.

Your heat is normal for me. Here in Florida we just basically live inside after 10:00 am. Unless you launch before dawn no canoeing. What just dose not make sense is that most launches around me open at 8:00am.

Wife has taught the dog to turn on the widow AC unit. We use it when sleeping instead of the whole house unit. Just glad he has not figured out how to lower the temp on it yet.

Mean of me I know but how soon is ice in up there? That's my best time of year.

Indiana is getting it too. Supposed to be a major cool down tomorrow. Add me to the window AC group. Just bunker down and keep 1 room cool instead if the entire house.

Managed to get the dawg out for a short swim before 8 a.m. but then it started heating up! The porch is so freaking hot I almost burned my feet stepping out onto it, shoes for the next 2 days! It's like breathing water it's so humid. Haven't had this in NH in a while. I did have fantasies of going out on the water and I'm sure the river is packed today but this is just a tad too much for this old man! Looking forward to cooler weather soon, Monday the forecast is for 80's and rain.

On the hottest day this summer she reminded me to prepare for our August canoe trip, so it's not my fault I was dehydrating in the kitchen.

dehydrate.JPG

It’s hot and sunny here in central PA. I paddled my prospector solo on the middle Youghegheny with a Cooler full of ice , Gatorade and some beers. Three beer breaks. I was decked in long sleeves, long pants and hat. Helped a newbie learn his brace and wet exit. I’m amazed at how many people were paddling with no shirts on. There’s no shade on that river.

Keep your cool,

barry

Two people and one minicel cozy, how does that work? That minicel insulation does help retain cold and, I should note, that was designated as DH’s personalized two-holer, so he better be the one enjoying it.

I gotta ask, what is a “minisplit”? I know about “minispliffs”, and may enjoy one soon myself.

I have been greatly amused by recent canine shop visitors. They come in, drain a water bowl and proceed to splay out comically spread eagle, belly down on the cool shop floor. If we lose power again today I may try that myself.

Yes the shop provisions include a water bowl, and some balls and toys. Hugo the big goofie Newfie preferred short scraps of 2x4 from under the bench.

Hello Minicell Designer.. You gave us a two holer! Mini Split is heat pumps that are in heating cooling zones in the house. Ours are set at a cool 73 but are not running that often..Probably because we are in a forest and outside sweeping acorns and pine needles we are not enjoying it as much.
Central AC in Maine is unheard of
We swam for an hour and actually got cold.. The lake water still has a thermocline.
We are loving the heat. Tomorrow we get to keep it for a while and Monday the temp plunges again next week with highs in the 60's. And more rain.. I ought to learn Mushroom ID.

We don't lose power ever. Ever.. The magic of a whole house generator. We learned in 1998.

We have a rescue dog from Georgia that is still ensconced in front of one of the minisplits. We keep reading him his Ancestry Dog DNA results and he does not care( yes there are dog ancestry tests)

Last edited:
I did some small scale backyard epoxy work on the ugly stern of my immortal kevlar C1W. Today was a great day for Raka slower-than-slow-come-back-tomorrow hardener! We're not often above the (Florida) nominal 80 degrees F.

What in the Ontario Canada are you making Odyssey? :cool:

I dehydrated some Habitant pea soup for trip lunches. Probably bake a cornmeal dumpling top for them in camp. Also for lunches I ran through 2 types of canned beans (without pork), plain old No Name beans in molasses & tomato sauce (mine) and fancy shmancy Heinz beans with real maple syrup (hers). My beans mustn't touch her beans (so to speak), hence the separate trays in the dehydrator. The things we do for love and beans.

I don't know what the old school numbers were but in New Math we hit 40 C with the humidex. Don't ask me what that is, probably the same conspiracy brought to you by those people who bring us Wind Chill. All I know is it's been hot. But with the dehydrator running I just shut the kitchen doors and opened the kitchen windows. The rest of the house stayed cool, while I stayed on the back porch. The porch has become my second home this summer tucked under an umbrella with a good book and a cold glass of water. The fireflies this year have been amazing, sparking around the yard each night.
I'm gonna miss this in February.

Last edited:
I did some small scale backyard epoxy work on the ugly stern of my immortal kevlar C1W. Today was a great day for Raka slower-than-slow-come-back-tomorrow hardener! We're not often above the (Florida) nominal 80 degrees F.

Hopefully you found that the hardener worked and your work is not full of insects... Slow hardener makes great flypaper!

Back