• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Cooke Custom Sewing

Below is an example of some good rules on a Facebook Group called “Church of the Double Paddle” which I admire. Yes, it’s a shame that such things are necessary, but these are the times we live in. I have abandoned the forums on Paddling.com, in part because it seems that a lack of established rules coupled with a tolerance from moderators to allow the core group of prolific posters to comment without restraint. As I am relatively new here, this was the first time I have witnessed such dialogue but I hope it is the exception and not commonplace.

Group Rules from the Admins

Be kind and courteous
We're all in this together to celebrate our love of the water and paddling. Treat everyone with respect. Kindness is required. Namecalling will be noted and deleted.

No boat shaming
It is not OK to make derogatory comments about the boats people choose to paddle. Sometimes it’s what we can afford. Sometimes it’s about priorities.

See a problem post or comment?
Please don't respond to those, but report them to the admins. A report will get the attention and quickest response from all admins. A response will escalate.

No politics
Nobody comes here for the politics. Leave your politics at the door. Offending posts will be deleted, as will repeat or serious offenders.

No hate speech or bullying
Bullying of any kind isn't allowed, and degrading comments about things such as race, religion, culture, sexual orientation, gender or identity or boats will not be tolerated.

Well Matt, not to violate any of your rules, but quoting stuff from "The Church of the Double Paddle" on a canoe site is pretty much like painting "666" on the front door of the Presbyterian rectory.

We tolerate a lot here, but that yakkiing stuff gotta stay in its own lane.

That's funny, the yakkers are a lot more tolerant of canoers! Truth is there a lot of canoers and pack boat owners like me on the site. Just saying, its nice to have rules this day and age. No one should feel unwelcome or harassed.

I just logged off to check out the FAQ section which doesn't show once logged in. Basically there is not much in the way of rules. With that said this site has always been way more civil then other sites which was one of the big reasons when the offer came to take over I jumped in. In my almost 3 years running the board I think I've had to step in 2 or 3 times. We as a community have been very fortunate in that this happens very infrequently. I believe the old Golden Rule saying is an unspoken theme here.

Also, as Admin I try to let things run their own course but at the first hint of "ugliness" I will step in although I do try to run things with an even hand. But as with any board with multiple personalities in the mix there is bound to be a clash of words, crap happens! On my side of the board I constantly am checking every thread everyday to make sure all is good but it is kind of like herding cats at times! ;-) I have also been in touch with one of the posters and assured them that their input on the board is valuable and to keep posting. In any conflict on this board I do reach out to try to resolve things ASAP.

There is one exception where I will immediately step in and that when politics come into play. I have made it pretty clear and I believe Robin before me that there is no room on this board for that as it causes problems that can and do escalate far to quickly as is common on the now defunct Bicker and Banter from Paddling.com and what I see daily on FB.

dougd

I’m not sure how this thread started to go sideways. Most ardent tripper folk already know about CCS, but the lifeblood of a paddling community is new folks, who may not know the small scale makers of dependable higher-end gear.

I have a bunch of Cooke Custom sewing stuff, from tarps to spray covers to kneeling pads to bags to stuff sacks. There were cheaper versions of every item; I know, I once owned all of them to some degree of dissatisfaction.

The reputation of CCS gear, thoughtfully designed and improved over years of use, extraordinarily well constructed using selected-for-the-purpose materials, is well worth the cost in a tripping environment, true wilderness tripping or even paddle in glamper comfort.

That assurance, that Cooke Custom Sewing gear is of proven design and materials, makes it easier to order something sight-unseen with confidence.

I know bupkiss about Google’s algorithms. Most folks Googling “Tarp” are probably looking for something to cover the patio furniture or throw up over the picnic table for an occasional weekend car camper*, and a $200 sil-nylon tarp is not in their ballpark.

*OK, I bring the Tundra Tarp on car campers. We have a dozen tarps, why not bring the best one?

OK #2, I still sometimes bring a cheap 8x10 blue poly job as well, to throw over the firewood pile in the rain or to spread out as a gear staging area when packing up camp.

And OK #3, I wouldn’t set up a CCS sil-nylon tarp directly over the fire. Friend Ed has this giant heavy-duty glamper tarp that he routinely extends out over the firepit.

PA040030 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I have spent many a happy night on group trips huddled by a big boy blaze under that tarp. It has taken years of serious abuse set over fire pits and has surprisingly few pin holes.

FWIW, that is a heavy duty, desert tan poly 18 x 20, from A-1 tarps.

https://www.a1tarps.com/tan-tarps.html

I like my yellow CCS tarp. Cheery on a rainy day. Easy to spot if I get into trouble. Thank you to Midwest Firecracker for reminding me of it. I haven't been using it as much as it deserves. clearly i am a human with too many tarps.

I love my, new to me, Tundra Tarp, but as long as Dan is here, I WAS going to order a Portage Barrel Pack this week but stopped when I got to the shipping, $57 for the slowest delivery is far too much to add even in the face of great quality.

Sometimes the automated shipping calculator messes up. shoot a e mail with the product and zip code and I can check out the actual cost. I pass on only the cost of the service with no additional fees.
prices on shipping seem to go up around the holiday- mostly to low volume shippers- the big boys have us little guys pay for their negotiated rates.

Back