• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Composite Canoe Build

They look great on the water, as well as on top of the vans !
Thanks!

Now that you've had them on the water, What layup would you use on your next one ?
​Good question. The hulls hold their shape well with the weight of two people. But, if I bounce up and down in the stern seat, the hull flexes. So, hard to say what I would change. The only material that was purchased specifically for these canoes, was the Kevlar. The fiberglass and epoxy were already in house....purchased for various projects we've done in the past. Certainly, like any manufacturer, we'd build and test many prototypes using different fiber, resins, lay up schedules etc to come up with best boat we could. We had a 15lb improvement between canoe #1 and canoe #2. Who knows were we could go if I had the budget to do it.

I see you were successful at the Court house ! Any trouble licensing ?

​That is a funny story. My wife took the DNR form down to the recorder's office. She was told that she needed to have a DNR officer inspect the canoe before it could be registered. So she called the officer's number and left a voicemail. She then decided to call the DNR office in Des Moines. The lady she spoke to reviewed the state code and stated that the code does not require inspection by the DNR. So, my wife went back to the recorder's office and again was told it needed to be inspected. My wife gave them the phone number for the DNR office in Des Moines, a call was made and it was concluded that we did not require inspection after all. Ugh, our taxes and government efficiency at its finest.

Did you make the deck caps ?

​Yes. I did a bit of low-tech thermoforming. I took a 1/8" thick HDPE sheet, screwed wooden strips along the two long sides and put it in the oven set at 325*F. Once the sheet was hot enough, I took it out of the oven and stretched it over the stem/deck area to form it to shape. The plastic was held there until it was cool enough. Once cool, it marked and trimmed off the excess and then riveted it to the hull. They're not perfect, but they'll work just fine.

Must have been a newbie at the Recorders office. We also have a relatively new recorder, but she's smart enough to rely on the experience of the staff.

If I'm in the Recorder's office more than 10 minutes. I'm talking too much ! Ha !
Anyway, I'm glad you survived the paper work hassle !

Interesting ! Making your own end caps. Is HDPE available locally ?

Again nice thread ! Thanks for sharing your skill and knowledge !

Jim

Interesting ! Making your own end caps. Is HDPE available locally ?

Jim

​I was able to obtain it through my connections at work. There are suppliers like Midland Plastics who stock and sell various types of plastic sheet.

I have "finished" the canoe to the point that's it's ready for the BWCA. Gunwales are painted, yoke pads built and attached, body work complete and cobra-weaved paracord handles on the bow and stern. Practiced getting it up on my shoulders by myself....and had my boy do it a couple of times too.
IMG_3030 by bctc95, on Flickr

Last edited:
I should write a trip report in the proper section, but I figured I'd post a few pictures of the canoes taken in the BWCA during our trip. The canoes worked great! They were plenty rugged, and carried the payload that we needed without flinching. They were efficient enough that after we did 5 portages, we crossed 6.5 miles of open water fully loaded in about 1.75 hours at the beginning of the trip. There was one particularly tough portage, where I was thinking to myself "I have got figure out how to make this boat lighter!"...but I could have certainly been in better shape to bear the weight.

IMG_3116 by bctc95, on Flickr

IMG_3119 by bctc95, on Flickr

IMG_3149 by bctc95, on Flickr

IMG_3222 by bctc95, on Flickr

IMG_3263 by bctc95, on Flickr

IMG_3192 by bctc95, on Flickr

IMG_3213 by bctc95, on Flickr

Last edited:
"I have got figure out how to make this boat lighter!"]

The name of the game ! Nothing like a portage to really bring it to light !

Nice report and pics !
It's just great to get out with the kids !!!

Thanks for sharing !

Jim

Back