• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Cold, cold, cold

Always depend on what you plan on doing at -40C/F, if you are standing and not moving much a thick light down parka is the way to go(and they do come in 800+fill) but if you are working or pulling a sled, moving of some sort, then a base layer, some heavier mid layer and then a windbreaker if needed and one extra layer just in case that would be at close hand would do the trick!! I use to have a big snow goose parka, but they are super heavy(and I’m a big guy that can carry a load) but I sold it because of that! I have a few “vintage” high end down parkas from the days I was working in an outdoor shop, one is the top of the line mountaineering mountain hardware parka, that is so big(but really light) that I look so out of place other than at -40 or colder!
i never wanted to sell it cause it is light and warm but don’t stand close to the fire lol it will vanish at the first substantial amber hahaha!!

as for your Filson they are warm, but heavy and I find them they are great down to minus 15-20C at the most if just standing! But for the price they are selling these days if it works for you you would save a lot of money!!

Good brands are Featheredfriends, western mountaineering, Taiga out of Vancouver BC that make good gear for a decent price, really worth having a look at them!!

I usually wear successively larger fleece shirts-up to 4 with a parka shell outside. easy to take one or more off as you overheat when exercising. i try NEVER to get overheated and perspire a lot wetting the insulation. A single thick heavy parks is hard to regulate.

I am always amazed at pictures of New Yorkers on the streets freezing their botts off wearing large down poufy jackets but nothing at all for a hat. Down is great for inactivity like ice fishing but IMO totally useless for aerobic activity.
Now I DO love my down vest.. It does not make me sweat.
And I love my coyote ruff on my Arctic Anorak ( cotton). Seems to keep the warm air in that I am breathing.

Yep. Unless ice fishing (rarely), I don't care to be in hot bubble. I'm liking the idea of the lighter down parka oversized to add layers. I think REI has these in stock to try on. My experience with European garments is they're narrow in the chest and sleeves. That won't do for layering.

Last edited:
Kathleen and I fell in love with the Canada’s northern landscape after canoeing the South Nahanni River (1990), the Thelon River (1993), the Coppermine River (1995) and the Seal River (1997). We thought we might want to move to the Northwest Territories. But I had grown up in Sacramento, and moved to Vancouver, British Columbia in 1975. Kathleen had spent all but the first two years of her life in Vancouver. The Northwest Territories has a long winter, and we had virtually no experience of living in, and working in cold weather. So before making such a major move we concluded that we should try living in the Northwest Territories for at least part of a winter. You might have read about our experience on canoetripping.net in the winter camping forum under the topic “Our Winter of Content in Canada’s Western Arctic. We lived in a one-room cabin, 100 km (60 miles) north of the Arctic Circle from January 31 until breakup in mid June.

To prepare ourselves for this adventure, we bought the book by Garrett and Alexandra Conover, A Snow Walker’s Companion: Winter Trail Skills From the Far North. I expect that some of you will disagree with their perspective that “Synthetic clothing is junk. It begins as junk, and it stays junk all the way to the landfill. It is, in fact, a double negative. It wears out readily, yet it may never decompose once discarded.”

In fact, we obtained most of our winter clothing quite inexpensively, primarily because, like the Conovers, we prefer wool. Like many modern synthetic materials, wool breathes well and retains heat, even when wet. Unlike synthetics such as fleece, however, wool is easily repaired in the field, and does not ‘melt’ when contacted by heat or campfire embers . Several trips to the various thrift and army surplus stores provided all we needed in the way of wool pants, wool shirts and wool sweaters. We purchased medium and heavy sets of wool long underwear, both top and bottom, at the Army & Navy, Vancouver’s most ‘blue collar’ department store.

We were especially intrigued with the Conovers’ recommendation for footwear: “The [traditional] sock-felt-moccasin system is entirely breathable, very lightweight, and magnificently functional in conditions ranging from twenty-five degrees Fahrenheit [minus 4 degrees C] to as cold as temperatures go on earth. [The system] is comfortable and light as can be. You feel as if you are prancing around in bedroom slippers.”

The Conovers provided a contact for where we could buy such footwear, also known as mukluks. In fact, we purchased much of our winter gear from Craig McDonald, in Dwight, Ontario. We ordered four pairs of mukluks, with light canvas uppers and tanned moosehide bottoms. Our friend in Inuvik recommended that we make our own duffel-cloth liners for our mukluks: “They are simple to make. Since Kathleen sews she could easily make them to fit your mukluks. As you know, patterns are available in the Conover book.” That’s what we did, and we still use our mukluks more than 20 years later, as they are pretty much good as new. In fact, we look forward to winter just for the thrill of prancing about in the snow in our mukluk bedroom slippers.

We also bought wind suits, made of light canvas, as windbreaks. The Conover book advised that fur ruffs, which are much warmer than synthetic materials, should always be added to wind suits. Where would we get coyote ruffs in Vancouver? I inquired at MEC. Not surprisingly, they did not carry any kind of fur. Our friend in Inuvik suggested that we call the Winnipeg Fur Exchange. Their catalogue said they were open 24 hours a day. That intrigued me. As a test, I drank brandy until midnight, and made the call. After only one ring, a voice on the phone said, “Winnipeg Fur Exchange. How may I help you?” As soon as the the fur ruffs arrived, Kathleen easily sewed them onto our canvas wind suits.

Now I have reached the point of why I am posting this. Our experience with these ruffs is exactly like that of yellowcanoe.

And I love my coyote ruff on my Arctic Anorak ( cotton). Seems to keep the warm air in that I am breathing.

img054.jpg

From Kathleen’s diary on March 28:

Even though we're warm while moving, we cool off quickly when we stop for lunch. I’m quite impressed at what a difference the fur ruff makes. Even in a strong wind, the air around my face stays warm.

I have spent a lot of time outdoors in the cold. I like wool, but I love down vests. Or any quilted vest really. I also find ski pants to be a real bonus. When out just wandering I have some insulated bib overalls that are pretty nice. Just Carharts, nothing fancy. I have a down jacket but find it rather too hot if working. I also have a long army extreme cold parka that is a quilted liner with canvas cover that is great for work but bulky.

A layer of fleece jacket under an oversized fleece coat is a great winter combo in the bush but not so much if you are out in the wind. I personally try to stay inside if its colder than -30 these days. My everday parka is a relatively inexpensive Canadian Tire quilted canvas with hood.

Like Scratchypants, I bought a Snowgoose parka by Metro Sportswear many years ago (early 1990s) before they changed the brand to Canada Goose . I paid $200 tax included. and wore it until it fell apart. Turned around and bought a Canada Goose in 2007 but it was three times what I spent for that first parka, $600. Now the equivalent parka, if you can find it among the exploding line up of fashionable jackets, is pushing $1200. Crazy.

Now I just layer fleece under Eddie Bauer parkas. it’s hard to beat them on value. Much Cheaper. Almost as warm. That gets me to -20 (below zero in US units)

Colder?Then the old Canada Goose comes out, which, when I lived in northern Ontario, got me down to -38 once (without wind and with baselayers.) That’s pretty close to -35 F I guess.

I actually have three Eddie Bauer parkas of the same model. One is clean, for city use in Toronto. One can get dirty. The third is the next size up to fit all the layers—it’s for real cold. Planning some winter camping trips in nw Ontario next year.

The fill power number is more about weight, so unless you are backpacking it doesn’t make much difference. I have some 900 fill quilts for hammocking (backpacking) that are amazingly light and toasty. My Canada Goose I think is 600 and weighs a ton, but I’m not backpacking in it. I’m waiting at a windy bus stop. And happy to carry that weight.

I know I’m late to the party but maybe someone scrolling through will find this helpful. The fill power number for the down, 550, 600-650, 850, 900. Etc etc. has nothing to do with warmth but more for weight and it’s ability to compress smaller. The same thickness down jacket in 550fp and 900fp will be equal in warmth. The difference will be when you pack it in your bag and weigh it on the scale. If you’re weight conscious for traveling, go higher fill power. If you just want a jacket that’s warm, choose your price. There’s this misconception that the higher the number the better it is. And to a degree, yes, but that doesn’t mean you won’t be warm and cozy in a $200 600 fill down jacket.

Rule of thumb- the puffier the jacket, the warmer it’ll be. The higher the fill power, the smaller it’ll be.

Hope this helps someon…. Ps. Those Canada goose jackets go up $100 every year to “deter” more sales, but they sell more each year. Business “strategerie”

The higher the fill number also means the better the quality. Hence the compressibility and weight reduction

Back