• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Christmas beauty

Reaction score
I went for a walk with my son this morning in the timber. Here it is Christmas Eve, 12 below zero with the faintest of breeze, 12 - 14 inches of snow sparkling like diamonds a far as I can see. The timber is thick and heavy fom our last snow, contrasting so beatifully black, grey and white. I saw 2 deer, while my son spied just as many coyotes. The sky is bue and cloudless ... just below the tree tops glisten with prisms of snow and ice. The cold air so pure, bluffs and rock outcropings so breath taking ... It is such a blessing to be out today.

TNBf5uP.jpg

So, wherever you are, warmer or colder, Merry Christmas to you all. May you all find beauty and joy this season. Happy holidays Canoetrippers!

Bob

Last edited:
Sounds delightful.

I hope to be out on a canoe trip early in the New Year, but a hike around the home locale is also on the menu.

Thanks Bob, Merry Christmas to you and All the folks here. We had unbelievable warm temps here this past weekend and our 8" of snow cover melted away almost overnight, hard to believe.

Just a walk around the property today. In crampons. To the east of us many folks lack power but no doubt are fine with generators and wood stoves. We lost some snow and have a foot left and its topped with a bit of ice. It never got really warm but did top freezing. When the sun finally came out after some four or five days it was beautiful. On Thursday the ice will all be hid with another topping of snow..

Our Southern Ontario snow storm was nearly washed away with rain and freezing rain this week. Last night brought us a soft ermine blanket to hide the bare spots, restoring our winter scene to a Christmas card of olde. My childhood Christmases seemed always snowy and magical. Whether your 2013 Christmases are snowy or mild, I hope they're all magical, and filled with peace and joy. Merry Christmas everyone.
Best Wishes;
Brad

Thanks Bob for starting this very nice thread. Merry Christmas to everyone! For a little bit there we had some sharp temperatures, about four inches of snow and ice on the pond. It's fun watching a pup meet snow for the first time! Later I had to watch her closely with the pond ice, it can trap a curious little pup.

Now we're back to our usual cold rain, typical N.W. winter. Just after the melt we had a fun rollicking visitor to the pond; an otter blew in from somewhere. He/she (?) stayed long enough to wreak havoc amongst the gold fish. It was fun watching him dive and pop up with another flash of orange in his mouth and in two blinks and a sneeze it was gone. Rowan (the pup) and the otter were very interested in each other, I think it was harmless but I did keep close watch. The next day the otter was gone, good luck to him, hope he keeps safe.
We'll see in the spring if he left us any fish, small ones maybe, only need a few for the mosquitoes.
I was musing; in a way we're related to the otters, we both like to play in the water. Only he didn't need a PFD at all!

Merry Christmas!

Rob

Was 30 overnight, headed for 57 and sunny today... just about perfect weather here in LA.

Merry Christmas, ladies and gentlemen! We have quite a big gathering every Christmas Eve, and last night was no exception with over 30 people here. It's Northern Ontario, so almost everyone smokes. We have a cold room out back that usually turns into a crowded cigarette nightmare, so this year I decided to try something different. I set up an old prospector tent I have and threw a wood burner in. It was a big hit, most smokers hung out in the tent, and despite the cold weather, were quite warm. We heated that old stove up red hot.

My Old Town beater canoe lives on top of one of my woodpiles, this is the most action it will see for about five more months.

Merry Christmas and happy winter camping!

I might have a canoe themed Christmas going on around here this year. Here's my new canoe, with paddles ready for dipping!

Hey Memaquay, so you play too? I'm told it was purchased here (it was a gift) : http://www.adventureattic.ca
It's not carved from real wood, but made of some kind of plastic of some sort. Nevertheless, I love it.
Canoes have kinda cropped up around here over the years. Paintings and prints, and even some Christmas tree decorations. Maybe someday I'll get a second life-sized canoe, to stash under the big pine along with the first one.
I love your smoke shack BTW. It looks like the perfect man cave. I suggested we put one out back here, but wife and hippy daughter says "NO!" I think it'd look nice under the birch tree. Maybe if I call it a vegan yoga healing retreat, they'll give me the go ahead? It's crazy enough, it just might work!

Ha that made me chuckle Brad…you could still pull it off if you called it Vegan Yoga Healing Retreat for Men. Women wouldn't be allowed in because they would disturb the natural male type energies necessary for men to relax and be at peace with doing the dishes and stuff. Once the ladies are fooled into staying away, bring out the cards, cigars, beer and start having farting contests. Keep the stove burning red hot, and if the girls get too close, get all the guys to chant a mantra out loud, like "our wives are beautiful".

Well, thanks for the link for that canoe anyway, used to play all the time with my grand dad, just getting back into it now.

Ha! Thanks for the idea memaquay. I think I'm ready to take it to the next level of social conscience gender awareness. I consider myself a sociable smoking drinker. My daughter ridicules me for my "lifestyle choices". Hence, my next lifestyle choice :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxCM5Mb5Hnc

We'll see where it takes me. It may well take me out to the tool shed for the night. We'll see. Wish me luck.

Hope everyone's Christmas wishes came true. Finally got the little one to bed, took care of an ailing wife and got a chance to celebrate with some rum and a short cuban in the backyard. -5 C with a fresh coat of fluffy snow...pretty rare gift of a white Christmas here in Toronto.

Brilliant idea for a smoke tent, Memaquay. I made a little solo smoking shelter in the backyard with a painter's drop cloth back in the fall. Was supposed to be "my getaway" in the city.

TarpTent+06_rs.jpg

Now it's under a pile of broken tree limbs from our recent storm...

DSCN1950_rs.jpg

Best wishes to everyone on the forums for a great new year!

LOL, that was one of the best things I've watched in years. Don't worry, in the Mens Vegan Yoga Healing Centre you can go full out, no need to be social at all.

Holy Cow Murat, not to make light of the ice storm, but if Mother Nature punished you for a little smoking shelter, I wonder what she will have in store for Brad's Vegan Yoga Centre?

Back