• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Chestnut Canoe For Sale might be GU

might be a copy? serial number tag is bogus, and the thwarts are not looking very chestnutty, decal looks sketchy...lots of little things that dont appear right.

I know absolutely nothing about purebreds and mongrels but that has never stopped me from forming misinformed opinions.
This looks like an okay w&c canoe that has had some lipstick and rouge applied. But that wouldn't stop me from buying it, provided they reduced the price by a healthy Grover Cleveland. Good luck to anyone interested. Disregard the upmarket collar and doggie spa treatment. Some mongrels make excellent companions.

10-4 on that Brad....it looks to be in reaaallly nice shape, a nice canoe to be sure

I'm only 180 miles from Yuma, so if anyone wants me to pick it up for you, just let me know.
I might snag one of those "nice oars".

Look how close together the ribs are, that has got to be a heavy boat.
I did a little internet research, turns out Chestnut did make a model called the Ogilvy, that had close spaced ribs like that one, and it was heavy at 84 lbs for a 16 footer.
Was made for fishing guides, a heavy duty, flat bottom stable canoe that they could stand in all day long. So maybe this is one of those. How it got to Yuma Az is a mystery.

Looks like the 18 ft Ogilvy model with torpedo-ish ends. The Ogilvies were heavy duty and made for salmon fishing in shallow New Brunswick streams. They also used very heavy No. 6 canvas on these boats.

Cheers,

Fitz

OT canoes are every where. I found mine at Lake Tahoe. I have had it for 25 years. Built in 1953.
I like the canoe in the ad.

Back