• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

​Cheat Sheet of Used Canoes for solo downriver CL II daytrips

After another afternoon in the Guide, I thought it would be appropriate to revisit this thread. At this time, my circle of paddling friends includes a Courier, a couple of Freedom Solos, and, I think, three Guides. As a moderate tripping and easy whitewater solo, I can't say enough good about this hull. I know it has had some bad reviews regarding its tracking and stability (gotta be noobs), but I find it to be extremely predictable and tractable in its response and handling, and my Guide is turning out to be so easy to live with and so "right" that I could be happy with it as an only solo (not having class 3+ and above aspirations), should I become destitute. ;) I find it to be perfectly suitable for what we call class 2 here and even some low 3 - although a little wet for that - while still being decently efficient on the lakes. Even have done some poling in it (video in the poling forum) and now know I could do more with a little practice. It truly is a competent "do-everything" solo canoe - or about as close as you can come to that, I think.

So Mike - how's your friend getting along with that boat?

After another afternoon in the Guide, I thought it would be appropriate to revisit this thread. At this time, my circle of paddling friends includes a Courier, a couple of Freedom Solos, and, I think, three Guides. As a moderate tripping and easy whitewater solo, I can't say enough good about this hull. I know it has had some bad reviews regarding its tracking and stability (gotta be noobs), but I find it to be extremely predictable and tractable in its response and handling, and my Guide is turning out to be so easy to live with and so "right" that I could be happy with it as an only solo (not having class 3+ and above aspirations), should I become destitute. ;) I find it to be perfectly suitable for what we call class 2 here and even some low 3 - although a little wet for that - while still being decently efficient on the lakes. Even have done some poling in it (video in the poling forum) and now know I could do more with a little practice. It truly is a competent "do-everything" solo canoe - or about as close as you can come to that, I think.

Steve, that is quite the collection of Couriers, Guides and Freedom Solo. Used ones are uncommon and snapped up fast hereabouts. I imagine they are a bit rarer in Idaho.

About the stability, pishaw and nonsense. I am unstable and inattentive and the Freedom Solo is fine. I did replace the seat with a contour frame, so it is a bit lower than stock.

About the tracking, any rockered hull it is best controlled with an active paddle, what I meant by Wants to go where it should go is that when I stop paddling the FS continues to autopilot a decent course in moving water, more so with a bit of lean on the shallow vee. That is important when I want to use a hand to switch paddles, take a drink, take a photo or check the map.

As mentioned in another thread the Mad River Freedom Solo/Guide is my all time favorite downriver day tripping canoe. I am too big and carry too much gear to use one as a tripping boat, but plenty of folks do. Now including my brother in law.

So Mike - how's your friend getting along with that boat?

He loves his tricked out Freedom Solo and uses it everywhere, including a multiday camper down Smokehole Canyon. Of course his other choice was/is a beastly heavy tandem Blue Hole OCA, so he was going from a 66 Chevy Biscayne wagon to a late model BMW.

From earlier this year:

Great float through the smoke hole canyon. The water level good, fast, lots of waves, drops, holes and rocks. Good fun for me but manageable. No swimming, but I did use the bailer a good bit. Some of the waves put a good bit of water in the boat.
Scenery was great, weather was good, cold at night but ok during the day. Big cliffs and rock outcropping. Wind at our back mostly, on the second day ( a few strong gusts from the side at critical times). The gang is good at the muckle up so we took a lot of breaks.
My solo was a hit, lots of comments on the pimp out, all of the tie downs, the back band, the knee braces, my pretty splash guard. I looked good.

I am really happy with the boat, perfect for me!! I see it is not a white water boat but handles the strong class 2 stuff etc. I am not saying I wont swim in the future but I eddied in and out and took the tough spots on purpose, all with 50 lbs of gear in the boat.

(50 lbs of gear? The last time I took 50 lbs of gear was on an overnight backpacking trip when I forgot to pack the bourbon)

I have heard folks diss the Freedom Solo vs the Guide. Admittedly the older MRC Royalex was superior, and the Guide is an inch + deeper, but the Freedom Solo is still a fine solo canoe.

The Courier, the predecessor to the Guide, is a great boat as well, probably a better WW solo.

Courier (in Royalex), 1978 to 1994
14 feet 7 inches long
32 inches wide (a bit less in some specs)
15 inches deep

Guide (in Royalex), 1995 to 2002
14 feet 6 inches long
29.5 inches wide
15 inches deep

Freedom Solo, 2003 to 2008
14 feet 7 inches long
29 inches wide
13.75 inches deep

If I found any one of those solo canoes used at a decent price I would grab it.

EDIT: Mad River is still offering a few canoes in composite, the Malecite and Explorer, but their only solo is the Packish/kayakish 13 foot Serenade.

That Courier/Guide/Freedom Solo lineage is so well regarded, and still sought after, especially the Composite Couriers and Guides.

How about it MRC? Bring one of those back in a hearty composite lay up!

Last edited:
Yeah, a kev/carbon or kev/ glass Guide would be just awsome. Might make me buy another new canoe.

This thread needs another photo......

Front to back - Guide, Freedom Solo, Courier, Guide.

Attachments

• photo10670.gif
    photo10670.gif
    230.2 KB · Views: 9
Steve, The Courier is hands down my favorite WW boat. Love the freeboard and I find it responds really well in the faster waters. Mine was dubbed the Colander after I fixed 120 holes in it. Bought a second one a few years later and although they were only a year or so different the second was not a layup I was totally happy with, the RX was thinner. Sold that to a friend who loves it and paddles it a lot. Solid well thought out boat design in IMO.

PBlanc had his Mad River ME set up for solo and it seems to work well.. On the Current he and his doggies were usually in front.. I don't know the dimensions of the boat off hand but he was catching small eddies.

Steve, The Courier is hands down my favorite WW boat. Love the freeboard and I find it responds really well in the faster waters. Mine was dubbed the Colander after I fixed 120 holes in it. Bought a second one a few years later and although they were only a year or so different the second was not a layup I was totally happy with, the RX was thinner. Sold that to a friend who loves it and paddles it a lot. Solid well thought out boat design in IMO.

Good grief, Doug! Did someone take after that Courier with a shotgun?

PBlanc had his Mad River ME set up for solo and it seems to work well.. On the Current he and his doggies were usually in front.. I don't know the dimensions of the boat off hand but he was catching small eddies.

There was a local gal here who paddled an ME solo. Maybe still does, IDK. I observed that it works really well on the wave trains; turns really well. But it suffers in the wind like a lightly loaded Prospector. If I ever get a chance at one, I'm all over it. :D

Doug's RX Courier sold to a friend - this guy does paddle it a lot - flatwater, whitewater, camping...

O IMGP4205.jpg

Doug's RX Courier sold to a friend - this guy does paddle it a lot - flatwater, whitewater, camping...

O

Dang, it’s a rare "adr vei a oe" hull.

Glad Doug managed to salvage those logo bits, although I believe his intention was the corrupted French-from-Latin phrase “adr vie a oé”, roughly meaning “Canoe of many owies given life”.

If only that hull could talk.

This thread popped up in a search for something else (now I forget what) and so it invites another comment on the Guide. I now know two friends who have installed foam pedestals in their Guides. I sampled one on this year's overnight trip on a nearby class 2+ river. I'm thinking seriously about doing the same with mine.......It is that competent in technical class 2. Anyway, I don't recall him having to bail, even after the 3/4 mile class 2 wave train / rock garden. He is a skilled paddler, but we both marvel at how the Guide responds to turning strokes, prys , draws, and sideslips - while still showing good speed in the flats.

Mad River - are you listening? A carbon/kevlar Guide would be an easy sell.

This thread popped up in a search for something else (now I forget what)

Come on Steve, fess up, what was the “something else” you were ISO?

Mad River - are you listening? A carbon/kevlar Guide would be an easy sell.

MRC has heard us. Or at least heard from me, and from folks with long history in the company, begging them to bring back a composite solo in the Courier/Guide/Freedom Solo guise.

Crickets. Maybe the molds are gone, or need license, or more likely they just don’t feel that the market for a (pricey) composite solo boat is worth the completion.

Much as I’d love to have a modern, vacuum bagged, composite Courier or Guide (or a Monarch-ish decked canoe) it isn’t a worthwhile market. A MRC Kevlar Explorer now runs near three grand.

https://www.madrivercanoe.com/us/canoes/explorer-16-ultralite

Come on Steve, fess up, what was the “something else” you were ISO?

I honestly can't remember for sure, but I think it was something to do with mini-cell pedestals.

I think $3k for a kev/carbon or even kev/glass Guide would be money well-spent.

Guide/Courier/Freedom - a quick search with no results, anyone know of published plans for this boat? Would seem to be a great design to build as none manufactured by anyone these days...or is there someone...Hemlock SRT, Nova Craft Supernova, Clipper Caribou S similar intentions but quite different boats from the look of them.

Back