• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Cheap single burner stove for a chuck box?

i just bought one of these
I'm curious about spillage... have you flipped it over / thrown it around at all? I like the idea of being able to burn regular gasoline but I really don't want it all over my pack and I'm not nearly careful enough to keep it upright. (admittedly easier to accomplish in a wannigan)

i
I'm curious about spillage... have you flipped it over / thrown it around at all? I like the idea of being able to burn regular gasoline but I really don't want it all over my pack and I'm not nearly careful enough to keep it upright. (admittedly easier to accomplish in a wannigan)
definitely have not thrown it around.i just use a funnel and make sure it is stable.really dont like all the disposable bottles,i have a svea123 i am going to sell now,i also use a bushbuddy.
thermette or kelly kettle if all u do is cook water

Last edited:
i

definitely have not thrown it around.i just use a funnel and make sure it is stable.really dont like all the disposable bottles,i have a svea123 i am going to sell now,i also use a bushbuddy.
thermette or kelly kettle if all u do is cook water

I dislike the disposable fuel canisters as well. I’ve used an old double burner Coleman briefcase stove for years for camping out of a truck, but it’s far too bulky for anything where space is limited. I like the idea of having a pair of those dual fuel stoves.

Comment: I’ve been using a two-burner Magellan propane stove for the last year. In the past, I always wanted a liquid-gas fuel stove in cold weather, because the little isopro gas bottles just didn’t seem to perform well once temps went below 50. On a trip last October, the stores were all out of Coleman fuel, and I impulse-purchased the Magellan and a one-pound propane bottle. I’ve become a big fan. Why does propane work great in the cold where the little bottles just don’t cut it? The Magellan cooks better than than my MSR Dragonfly and is easier to use. I rarely use both burners. So, I think you are on a great track pursuing a one-burner, propane stove.

Does the Texsport stove mount on top of the bottle? I don’t like the idea of a boiling pot on a bottle-tower. And, I’d rather avoid single-use bottles, a factor not considered when I impulse bought a stove because of fuel availability. Ignoring that, looks like a good find and I’ll be curious to learn how it works for you.

Does the Texsport stove mount on top of the bottle? I don’t like the idea of a boiling pot on a bottle-tower. And, I’d rather avoid single-use bottles, a factor not considered when I impulse bought a stove because of fuel availability. Ignoring that, looks like a good find and I’ll be curious to learn how it works for you.
I believe the Texsport sits flat and has a rigid tube that holds the fuel bottle at an angle, just like most of the the 2 burner stoves. Texsport makes a even cheaper and lighter version, but the review mention the stove body not having enough mass to stabilize the fuel bottle, leading to flaming kerflopples. I think it might be possible to build in a support for one of the the bottle top burners that attaches to a milkcrate or the side of a Wannigan, which would meet a lot of my design criteria, particularly the cheap and readily replaceable, but the elevated cook pots make me nervous. I've already experienced a 3rd degree scalding.

A relatively small bottle-top propane stove is my usual stove for weekend trips. The possibility of tipping does concern me a bit but it hasn't been a big problem. The major problem for me is wind. If there is any breeze a lot of the heat gets blown away from the kettle and it seems to take forever to boil water. With the burner on top of the bottle, a windscreen resting on the ground would have to be very tall and if such a screen were available it would enclose heat around the bottle potentially creating a dangerous situation. I wish there was a small single burner propane stove with a flexible hose that would allow placing the bottle away from the stove enough to place a windscreen around the stove and pot/kettle. Maybe that would be possible with the rigid connection tube referred to above.

I managed to get off the reservation and up to Maine this summer. 4 days of driving and 4 days of base camping at nice public lake campsite and paddling about all day and returning to camp after dark. My kitchen was left packed away in a RubberMaid on the picnic bench all day. It wasn't particularly efficient set up, but I was mostly making coffee, oat meal and one pot dinners in a canister stove.

The spot I was at is pretty low traffic, and not the nicest on the lake. The nicest one that I used to spend 30 days out of a summer at, has been taken over by power boaters, so the canoe landing I cleared out 20 years ago is now a full power boat slip, the hearth is a 3 foot tall rock alter to the white mans fire, and the campsite is stump city..... moveing on... I'm fine with my new digs, and am going to plan to reinstate the pilgrimage every summer.

But I think its chuck box time, so that I can stream line my base camp house keeping and cover more ground and catch up with more folks. I've got a sizeable collection of camp stoves but I don't want to leave anything particularly valuable or irreplaceable at camp. So I'm looking at the cheaper single burner table top stoves. I dont want to use one of those propane tank top burners. I've all ready done my time with a campstove related 3rd degree scalding.

That's a pretty long preamble, but its hard to ask folks for recommendations of the least bad, when every one wants to suggest the best. Thanks, Woody
Not sure this is up your alley, but a thru-hiker friend of mine told me that the Soto Windmaster was very popular with the thru hiker crowd.
They are reasonably priced so I bought one. Used it on my last two canoe trips and I have to say the thru-hikers were right this time.
Similar design to the MSR Deluxe Pocket Rocket, but cheaper.
I bought a TOAKS titanium pot to go with it.
Soto makes a cheaper model that you can buy as a very affordable kit with pots. Looks like a real bargain.

Paddlingpika in the post above a company called Soto was referenced so I just went to look around. They might have what you are looking for.
Jim

I wish there was a small single burner propane stove with a flexible hose that would allow placing the bottle away from the stove enough to place a windscreen around the stove and pot/kettle. Maybe that would be possible with the rigid connection tube referred to above.
I looked on Ebay and there are a couple vintage single burners with hoses that where available at some point. There are also single burner catering stoves direct from China, but those are a gamble.

If I can attach the stove and bottle to a board, I should be able to also secure a wind screen. Having all the parts tied down to a board would be nice for sliding it around as a unit or cooking on the ground.

Maybe I can find a Black Friday sale on the Texsport stove and confirm it will work with a milkcrate sized Wannigan.

Back