• Happy National Apple Pie Day! 🍎🥧😋

Cheap collapsible bottles/flasks

Alan Gage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Came across these the other night and ordered myself some:

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

So far I'm impressed with them. First thing I did was fill one with water and squeezed it as hard as I could. No blowouts and no leaks. Then I put in on the ground and stood on it (I weigh 170) and again no problem. Even gave a little bounce while I was on it.

I'm hoping to fill five 16oz. bags with peanut butter and squeeze it out as needed and perhaps a couple of the larger ones for olive oil. Maybe use as clean bags for the gravity filter too.

Alan

Thanks for the link Alan. Those look good. Cheaper than platypus too. I just don't know about trying to stuff PB in them though. Maybe heat jar of PB in boiling water then funnel it in?

I usually make a bag with the food saver and snip off a corner. Either heat with lighter and pinch it closed with my leatherman or just roll it over and secure with a rubber band. I'll be interested in how you get it in those bags though!

Jason

I just don't know about trying to stuff PB in them though.

I'm not quite sure how that's going to work either. The holes are quite small. Best thought I've had is scooping the peanut butter into a zip-lock, cutting off a corner, and squeezing it in like a piping bag.

Alan

I'm trying to figure out how you will clean them of peanut butter residue. Seems making s zip loc into a pastry tube would solve the cleanup.
I had a Platypus soft sided bag that worked fine till it didn't
I guess I'd prefer those Coughlan's tubes though they are also aPITA to clean. And eventually the stick at the loading end breaks

I'm trying to figure out how you will clean them of peanut butter residue. Seems making s zip loc into a pastry tube would solve the cleanup.

There's a good chance I won't be able to but I'm willing to sacrifice a few for the price. I'm worried I wouldn't be able to effectively reseal the clipped off corner of a zip-lock.

Alan

Maybe slightly warmed creamy inserted using one of those things used for decorating cakes?

There's a good chance I won't be able to but I'm willing to sacrifice a few for the price. I'm worried I wouldn't be able to effectively reseal the clipped off corner of a zip-lock.

You might be able to clean and re-use those RumRunner flasks. I think to get any kind of clean once filled with peanut butter you would have to slice open the end for access.

I remember, sometime in the hazy last century, using re-fillable toothpaste tube style containers, probably a Couglan’s product.

Ha!, what is the first thing that pops up when typing Couglan into Google:

http://www.rei.com/product/696007/c..._mmc:cse_PLA&gclid=CLzB15P_gMcCFc0WHwod9jAB_A

Those Couglans Squeeze Tubes had a clip of stiff plastic that sandwiched the openable/folded end. Maybe a piece of stiff plastic tubing with a lengthwise slice on the bottom of the RumRunner flasks for re-use after cleaning?

Those squeeze tubes, even when with the wide open end, were still not fun to fill or clean, and probably not especially odor-proof.

no and when the stiff plastic "clip" broke as it always eventually did, there would be a mess. I had to thin the PB too so it would come out the little hole. You may have to use some peanut oil in any case to thin the PB for your collapsible flasks. And it goes without saying, that chunky does not work well. However you might be able to use one of those chip bag clips to seal the bottom.. Or some little clamps.. oops that gets into the realm of not weight saving.

Filled one of the 16oz. flasks up with creamy peanut butter tonight. Put the PB in a zip-lock, heated it in boiling water until it was painful to hold, nipped off a corner, and squeezed it in.

The peanut butter wasn't actually that hot. Once the water drained/dried off the bag it was comfortable to hold.

The nozzles in these flasks are small. First corner I nipped off was too large.

Air can't flow out while peanut butter is flowing in. Had to stop about 5 times during the process to blow the peanut butter through the nozzle to clear it and then squeeze out some air.

The rest should go quite smoothly after getting the experimental one out of the way.

Alan

I'm curious.. how much peanut butter are you taking? The reason I ask is on my very first week long canoe trip in the BWCAW we met a couple who had been completely outfitted for five days and were struggling on the portage. They were carrying one of those three pound peanut butter containers.. More than they would eat at home in a month.

For jelly now we ( I dont do this on solo trips) take jelly in squeeze bottles. They do have a lid that you can screw off too. I might try loading pb into one when its empty. But its too big a container for me solo.

For now our pb is in cream cheese containers. They seem to have a decent snap lid. Recently I bough feta cheese in a container that has a very determined not to open snap lid. When the feta is gone I may try peanut butter in that.

All secured in a "safety" zip loc as usual

Anyhow let us know how the experiment goes. Id like something to replace the Plalypus that allowed Drambuie all over my gear.

Last edited:
I'm curious.. how much peanut butter are you taking?

I'm thinking about 5 pounds. My normal breakfast when tripping is bannock and peanut butter.

My normal breakfast when home is a piece of toast and peanut butter. A 1lb. jar is about 7 servings for me.

Alan

I may try some of those RumRunner flasks. I just checked a couple of the ones we have , made by Source, and I can see the plastic is starting to delaminate in the folds at the neck. I have found this happens eventually on all these soft bottles. I haven't tried the Platypus bottles made specifically for wine, maybe they are more durable?
We carry spirits in small Nalgene or other lab bottles. I have lots of these if anyone wants some. They tend to be very reliable.
For pastes and such like we either use the Nalgene jars or the Human Gear GoToobs are excellent if you want a small squeeze tube, shame the largest is only 3oz.
One answer to the peanut butter question is PB2, a peanut butter powder. Downside is they take almost all the fat out of it! It does still taste good and is easy to use as peanut butter or to make a peanut sauce for noodles.

Air can't flow out while peanut butter is flowing in. Had to stop about 5 times during the process to blow the peanut butter through the nozzle to clear it and then squeeze out some air.

Maybe some kind of nozzle extension on the bag, so you could start filling from the bottom easier.

Chunky at home, creamy when tripping. I always have peanuts or cashews and can make my own chunky.

Back