• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Chain of Lakes Day Paddle (Camping at Hartman Creek State Park – Sept. 26-28, 2014)

Reaction score
DSC03712 (1000x750).jpg

Friday night with another long work week behind us and daylight fading fast, we jumped into the car and headed north to car camp at Hartman Creek State Park near Waupaca, Wisconsin. This put us just down the road from Waupaca’s Chain of Lakes, a beautiful spot to paddle.

DSC03722 (1000x750).jpg

Saturday morning we put in at Marl Lake and started out on a peaceful paddle enjoying the cool morning air. Later into the paddle the lakes began to fill up as the day grew warm. On the paddle out, we encountered quite a cluster of kayaks and canoes in the channels between the lakes.

DSC03711 (1000x750).jpg

We started at Marl Lake, then we paddled across Shung-we Creek to Pope Lake, then Manomin Lake, then Knight Lake, then Lake Orlando, then Beasley Lake, then Long Lake, then Columbia Lake, then Dake Lake, then Miner Lake. From there, we headed back through the list in reverse, adding Youngs Lake and Ottman Lake on the return. All in all a nice, relaxing day to leaf peep and enjoy the glorious weather.

DSC03732 (1000x750).jpg

On our way back to the take out, our daughter, who likes to get our goats by saying she dislikes the canoe, begged to portage the canoe through the entire length of a shallow channel all by herself. At the takeout she didn't want to hop out of the canoe. She said she didn't want our time on the water to be over. What a happy moment for her Dad and me.

On this camping trip we also found time for a couple hikes, a sunset at the beach, and some fishing. It ended all too soon as Sunday quickly arrived. Want to see a few more pics or read a couple more details about the trip? Check out http://mamasbasecamp.blogspot.com/2014/09/camping-at-hartman-creek-state-park-for.html.

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading your Boundary Waters trip report on your blog, too. Your daughter will remember these trips all her life. Good going.

It's great to see your family enjoying the great outdoors. Nice approach, split the weekend up with canoes, swings (I checked out your site, sweet picture of your daughter in those neat PJ's) beach time, sleeping out. Thanks for sharing it.

Mama,
Your second photo is a forester's dream. Thanks. I love trees, and forests even more. October is the best month of the year.

Great photos!

I'm glad you and your family are having fun making memories. And thank you for sharing them with all of us.

Back