• Happy There's Nothing Like a Dame Day! 👩🏼‍🦳👗👙🎦

Celebration day ... Pics updated ...

Reaction score
So, after doing some work in the timber today, I received word that after 2 days next week, I will not be allowed to return until April 6th due to the Corona Virus. So, the heck with woods work, Jake and I are going canoeing. So, I racked the canoe and we were off.

It was 35 degrees but not very windy, and it was snowing. I figured I would be the only person on the water today. However, a truck rolled up with a canoe on top and a dog in the cab. As I said hello, it was obvious this was my kind of guy. He has a 17 foot Penobscot and was just out for a paddle with his dog Coco.

I told him I would likely only be a minute as my knee does not go well with canoeing lately. As we unloaded, our dogs were having a ball at the landing. Well, Jake and I got in and I eased myself into position ... and I could paddle kneeling. I am glad another guy was around or I might have cried a bit. It felt SOOOO good to feel the canoe respond to the paddle, to be doing this again, I have missed it so much.

Anyway, Jake wanted to go the other way and catch up with his new friend Coco, so we turned around and paddled up river. As we paddled together and talked, I found out he has paddled the Arctic and all over Canada as well as all over the Rivers of Wisconsin. He is more of a whitewater paddler than a flat water tripper. As we talked, a mile went by and my knee was hanging in there. We eventually paddled back and talked canoe tripping. I had to move around between sitting and kneeling, but we made good progress and it felt incredible to be paddling again.

Tomorrow, after working in the timber I am taking a Jake and going paddling again, maybe with my new buddy and his canoe dog Coco ... what a great day!

I have a few pics, my computer is a mess, don’t think I can get them here, sorry, a story with no pics is less interesting.

Bob

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sitting at my desk at work this morning I found I could upload some pics of the paddle from Saturday, and my return trip on Sunday. The snow showers stopped before we took pictures, but believe me it was coming down ... it looked so awesome! Sunday , it became sunny and really added to the beauty of the backwaters.

Bob.

Attachments

• Coco and Jake.jpg
    Coco and Jake.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Prospector and Penobscott.jpg
    Prospector and Penobscott.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 5
  • prospector 15 - 1.jpg
    prospector 15 - 1.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Brian in my boat.jpg
    Brian in my boat.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Backwaters 1.jpg
    Backwaters 1.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Backwaters 2.jpg
    Backwaters 2.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Bob and Jake wisconsin backwaters.jpg
    Bob and Jake wisconsin backwaters.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Good for you Bob. Your post made me feel better. I think I'll get the old canoe loaded and check out the local lake.

Penn Woods,

got out again today with my Dog Jake, started out 32 and breezy ... but warmed to 39 and sunny 4 hours later. We explored the river back waters, paddle hike ... man getting out is awesome, we both had a ball ... and knee is still hanging in there! Hope you enjoy a paddle, take some pics and post them here.

Bob

I didn't see this coming. Posted on a Pa fishing forum, DCNR is closing several state parks for now, maybe more to follow. Not sure if this is the entire park or just areas where groups of people would gather. I was looking forward to a quiet paddle, guess I'll have to come up with a Plan B.

I heard the Gov. of NY waive all park fees for the foreseeable future so people could have a place to go and be outside.
Jim

Thanks alsg,

The canoe is a Headwaters 15 foot prospector - taken off the original Chestnut forms - called the Ranger. It is a nice boat for solo tripping if you area a bigger guy and have a dog. It is wonderful to paddle.

Bob.

I got this from Pa DCNR web site [h=2]State Parks and Forests Facility Closures[/h]
The public can access trails, lakes, roads, and parking for passive and dispersed recreation, such as hiking; however, all facilities at state parks and forests in Pennsylvania will be closed for 14 days effective Tuesday, March 17, to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

Closed facilities include:
  • Park and forest offices and visitor centers
  • Restrooms
  • Campgrounds, cabins, and all forms of overnight accommodations, including the Nature Inn
  • Public programs, events, and trainings are canceled

Penns Woods,

Thanks for that... the staff at Marsh Creek State Park left a handwritten note on my windshield while I was hiking in the park. For the short term, I printed the letter and will display it on my dashboard! I was having a hard time understanding why they would close parks to dispersed activities like paddling and hiking. I only live 5 minutes from the park and it's got lots of varied terrain to keep active in.

Back