• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Ccc 15490

Reaction score
This boat was a rescue, it had been fibreglassed at one point and was showing it's age. 1930's Canadian Canoe Company "Habitant" or similiar design. It is near impossible to know what model it was over this amount of time with no records available. You all have seen pictures of this come to fruition in the other thread, but finally it is water ready. 21 months in the making but I did a Chestnut in between and could not work on this all winter. I figure 150 hours of labour into her.

Before

After

Nice work, I like the color. Was it originally keeless, I can't see any screw holes thru the ribs?

Looks like a nice tripping canoe, any plans for a trip in it?

Robin - You are seeing correctly, there never was a keel on this, which is odd considering it came with a full sailing rig, (mast with Egyptian cotton sail intact, lee boards, etc). Also odd since as far as I know the majority of Canadian built canoes had shoe keels from the factory. We had originally talked about tripping with it, but it is really skinny, 11" deep in the middle and only 31" wide. She would be fast for sure and has some rocker, but likely not deep enough to take a load. At this point I'm not even sure Christine could help put it on the truck to go test paddle it, she is a heavy boat, although it hasn't been weighed it is likely in the 70-80 pound range. All that oak you know! :eek: Despite our love for old W/C canoes, due to Christine's health issue we likely need to stick to the Kevlar for tripping.

Red - No, this is a different boat, but the Red Lake boat has had a lot of the planking stripped from it since it was all cupped from water damage. We have a 15 foot Tremblay in the shop that gets attention first then will get back onto your boat. It will need most of the planking replaced.

Back